Floof - my cat....

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 *Spikey*

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:50 PM

has better recall than my dogs....

DH was seriously telling me our handsome, but not especially bright, male cat wasn't smart enough to do command training.

So, I called the cat (who was staring out the window at BIRDZ), he came charging at me, and threw himself into my arms (which at 6kg, is a fair old thump).

This is not the first time - and I am required to be all snuggly and excited when he does this, so he can purr wildly.

Thus proving that cats do recall, lol.

My dogs come, but generally tend to forget why when they get here....

#2 kimasa

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:53 PM

Mine turns to you if you call him, but in a "How dare you disturb me" manner.

Edited by kimasa, 15 June 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#3 *Spikey*

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

Lol, mine is all enthusiastic, "I luv Yooo". He is my indoor baby - the one who got bitten by the snake despite being 100% indoors.

#4 kadoodle

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:33 PM

A couple of mine come when they’re called, and they all come stampeding at the sound of the bag of cat food being opened or the carving knife being sharpened. Gargoyle comes when DS1 whistles him, but not anyone else.

#5 Bono25

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:41 PM

My cat comes when I whistle, but only in a certain way. Luna comes as soon as she hears movement in the kitchen, regardless of knives. She jumps onto the shelf under the butchers block, and sticks a paw up trying to steal anything off the board. She likes mushrooms....

Edited by Bono25, 15 June 2019 - 06:41 PM.

#6 nom_de_plume

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:54 PM

My kitty comes when called :) she’s very social and likes to ‘talk’ to me on her way over. Like all cats she knows when the food cupboard is being opened, or we’re having a roast/bbq, and comes running then as well!

#7 Ozquoll

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

Wasn’t there a study recently that proved cats know their name, but they usually don’t come running because, well, cat?

PS - I bloody love cats, I think it’s awesome they don’t play along with what their humans want 😼

#8 Jane Jetson

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

Our tortie comes when called. Then she'll chat to you and smooch all over you. The tabby just turns around and glares at you with an expression that says, "p*ss off, peasant, if you want a pet that comes when called get a dog".

If I say, "[Child's name], feed the cats" both cats bolt for their bowls. If I ask DH to get the tortie some grass (she's a fool for the stuff) she perks right up before he even moves and starts dancing around on her back legs.

If I go near either of them and say, "Good girl," they'll come over and rub their noses on you. I reckon cats have pretty good recall, they're just rather sensible about who should be in charge.

#9 Octopodes

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:09 PM

All 3 of our cats come when we call their names or click our fingers. One cat has learnt to follow certain cues, he knows what the cheese packet being opened sounds like and comes running (no other plastic, just the cheese wrapping), he also knows DH closing his laptop at night means it's bedtime (he runs to the laundry where they all sleep at night) and he knows people wearing shoes means they are leaving and he sits by the front door to see us off. All 3 cats know the sound of our car specifically also, they respond to it well before it pulls into the driveway. The oldest cat can tell time, without fail he wakes up 10 minutes before dinner time and sits where the bowls go waiting for us to catch up with him.

Edited by Octopodes, 15 June 2019 - 07:13 PM.

#10 Bono25

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:12 PM

View PostOctopodes, on 15 June 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

All 3 of our cats come when we call their names or click our fingers. One cat has learnt to follow certain cues, he knows what the cheese packet being opened sounds like and comes running (no other plastic, just the cheese wrapping), he also knows DH closing his laptop at night means it's bedtime (he runs to the laundry where they all sleep at night) and he knows people wearing shoes means they are leaving and he sits by the front door to see us off. All 3 cats know the sound of our car specifically also, they respond to it well before it pulls into the driveway.

My mums cats know the sound of my car too, but they take off and hide because they know it means noisy children 😂

#11 Inkogneatoh

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:33 PM

View Post*Spikey*, on 15 June 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

has better recall than my dogs....

DH was seriously telling me our handsome, but not especially bright, male cat wasn't smart enough to do command training.

So, I called the cat (who was staring out the window at BIRDZ), he came charging at me, and threw himself into my arms (which at 6kg, is a fair old thump).

This is not the first time - and I am required to be all snuggly and excited when he does this, so he can purr wildly.

Thus proving that cats do recall, lol.

My dogs come, but generally tend to forget why when they get here....

Our last cat used to come when called if she didn't know what was going on or knew food was about. She would also sit and "say please" (lick her lips) on command, mainly for food. Just like the dog we had gotten about 3 months after we got her. She also understood the "new" dog wouldn't confront her about anything, meaning she could take anything he had, and was well know to go over to his bed, lay down next to it and put the tip of her paw on it, thus claiming it, and making him get off. Despite it being 2 years since the cat passed, the dog still won't play with anything with a bell, as she would claim all jingly toys.

One cat we had when I was a teen, understood that the word "coffee" or the button on the kettle being pressed meant he could line up at the fridge for milk.

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 15 June 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

Wasn’t there a study recently that proved cats know their name, but they usually don’t come running because, well, cat?

PS - I bloody love cats, I think it’s awesome they don’t play along with what their humans want

Decades ago my sister gave me a mug with a pic of the back view of a cat, with the slogan: 'you're nobody until you've been ignored by a cat'.

#13 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

Our childhood cat came with a special dinner whistle, no other whistle would work. She was the best cat. Once I told my mum I couldn’t do the washing up as the cat was on my lap - the cat bit me and jumped off. She was the boss.

#14 Ozquoll

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 15 June 2019 - 07:36 PM, said:

Decades ago my sister gave me a mug with a pic of the back view of a cat, with the slogan: 'you're nobody until you've been ignored by a cat'.
My mum has that mug 😂!! I call dibs on it when it’s time for a cuppa at her house 😁 ☕️

#15 katei

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:04 PM

My cat comes to greet me when I get home from work - it's very cute seeing the dog and cat waiting at the gate while I park the car. The cat always comes for cuddles around 5am when I wake - he's normally asleep at the bottom of the bed and comes up as soon as I turn the radio on.

Edited by katei, 15 June 2019 - 09:05 PM.

#16 anna_garny

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:40 PM

Our three are all wildly different.

The tabby one chooses who and what he will acknowledge, his entire life runs at about 70% speed, even coming to the food bowls a few seconds behind his siblings.

The ginger one is a black hole that will absorb all food within the vicinity if given the option, but he's also so large that he can't really jump up high, so the tabby and the tortie sometimes get fed up on the laundry counter rather than on the floor so he doesn't just shove them aside and steal their dinners.

The tortie is new, we've only had her a couple of months, and she's a lovebug. She comes when you make kissy noises and is officially Husband's cat. She sleeps on our bed, but if he gets up to go to the kitchen, or to the loo, she will follow him like a shadow. I get up to go do anything and she flicks an ear and moves into the warm patch of bed I leave behind, then glares at me when I dare get back into my own bed.

#17 No girls here

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

My not so bright ragdoll cat awoke suddenly from his slumber the other week and raced out into the laundry. I realised that he had heard DS3 put his dinner plate down in the kitchen. DS3 usually feeds the cats straight after dinner so he knew the sound of the dinner plate in the kitchen meant he was about to be fed.

I think all three of my cats would come when called, but it would be with the expectation that food would be provided.

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:00 PM

Mine has spent the day stealing my chair every time I get out of it to go do something else.

The boy cat comes for ice whenever he hears the dispenser start going. Dunno why but he loves to stare at a piece of ice on the floor, bat at it a couple times and then sit down and stare at it some more.

They both wait at the front door when they hear my car and the girl cat knows the tiniest sound of the sliding door opening means she might get to go outside. She doesn’t always choose to, but she is capable of returning inside on command. Depends how co-operative she is feeling!

#19 kadoodle

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:56 AM

I had both young dogs and several of the cats this morning “helping” me get some kindling. They all shot off after a fox, and only one of the dogs came straight back when I shouted. The other one came back limping a few minutes later, and the cats slunk back over the next half hour. The remainder of the Fox is with two of the cats up a tree. It really stinks. I’m going to have to bath the cats, and I’m not happy.

#20 threeinnyc

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:31 PM

View Postnom_de_plume, on 15 June 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

My kitty comes when called Posted Image she’s very social and likes to ‘talk’ to me on her way over. Like all cats she knows when the food cupboard is being opened, or we’re having a roast/bbq, and comes running then as well!

Same with ours!

Here's mine: https://www.instagra.../p/Bta-1n4HTHO/

#21 Sancti-claws

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:35 AM

Our cat knows that I come (generally) when he calls.

#22 foofoo

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:56 AM

Our ragdoll responds to a few things at very fast speeds.

If i am getting washine out of the machine she comes running as it means we are going outside to the line.  We have been known to use this when trying entice her out of hiding.

She sits at the front door waiting for me when the garage opens when I come home. DH said she bolts throught the house when she hears the door.

When I am cooking she sits the whole time on the stool talking to me.

She's the best little company.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.