Not liking someone you don't even know

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 cstar

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

For some reason, I dislike Matt Tilly who has come back to radio on Kiis or Nova, I dislike his voice, what he says, I just cringe hearing his voice and I don't even know the man.

I change the station immediately if he starts talking.

Is that weird? Or do you have similar feelings about people you don't even know?

#2 TheGreenSheep

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:32 PM

Nope not weird at all. I dislike him immensely. When I actually listen to the content, I think he sounds really mean and horrible when he speaks to the listeners who call in. I was really annoyed when he got a gig on Nova morning radio. Not a fan at all!!

Edited by TheGreenSheep, 17 June 2019 - 01:32 PM.

#3 Bono25

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

I don't know who this is, but I routinely dislike people I don't know.  I feel mean and small though, but sometime people can just be really annoying.

#4 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:46 PM

I'm guilty as charged!

I don't like the mummy bloggers - especially the ones who are famous only because they hump a footballer. They don't do anything except endorse various products, and they get everything for free - clothes, makeup, meals, cars on loan - although they have more disposable income than most people. One of them "wrote" a regular column for a newspaper until her rampant plagiarism was exposed; doing actual research and spending time WORKING on something would have been too hard, I guess.

Wow, I'm ranting, aren't I?

Anyway, I don't like them, although I have never met them. But really, I don't need to meet them, as they've revealed everything about themselves on Instagram, because above everything else, they are chronic over-sharers.

Edited by DirtyStreetPie, 17 June 2019 - 01:47 PM.

#5 lozoodle

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

You sound like me with carrie bickmore, I have to turn the radio down every time she does that forced over the top laugh after every single thing she says. its like just shut up would you!!!! I'm sure she's a lovely person, but the laugh has to stop!

#6 ERipley

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

I don’t know who this guy is but if he’s regularly telling you (and everyone else) his thoughts and opinions then I’d say you know him well enough to decide you don’t like him. I never met Donald Trump but I think I know him well enough to decide I don’t like him.

#7 kadoodle

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

I dislike Peter Dutton and Scott Morrison without having to meet them.  I don’t listen to commercial radio these days because the DJs are all irritating little failed comedians .

#8 Riotproof

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:17 PM

I googled and the first video was of his teen daughter surprising him after being overseas.

The first bit was pretty much as you described, but when his daughter was there, he did seem much more likeable. Now, I know it’s only 2 minutes, but I think it’s probably fair to say you don’t like a “celebrity” persona.

It took me ages to get used to Robbie Buck joining Wendy Harmer on abc Sydney. I didn’t dislike him as such, but I prefer listening to her. Even now, if she’s sick and it’s just him, i’ll Considering flicking.

#9 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

i don’t know of the guy referred to in the OP - but there’s heaps of radio and tv personalities who i can’t stand but i don’t know them...kyle sandilands, catriona rowntree, kellyann etc....one assumes their public persona is a fair indication of what they’re like...

#10 cstar

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostERipley, on 17 June 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

I don’t know who this guy is but if he’s regularly telling you (and everyone else) his thoughts and opinions then I’d say you know him well enough to decide you don’t like him. I never met Donald Trump but I think I know him well enough to decide I don’t like him.

The thing is I don't know anything about him, because I won't listen when he speaks, I switch the station. He was on early morning radio with Jane Hall a few years ago, and I do remember listening here and there and finding him really off.

I must admit, I can't listen to the radio after 3pm as they play hardly any music, it's all about the radio presenters and I find most of them annoying.

I do however really enjoy Jase and PJ in the morning, they are so good together.

#11 Mollycoddle

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

I'm the same with radio announcers hence I don't ever listen to commercial radio if I can avoid it.  One of our local ones always talks about her new baby Betty, I really hate the name and feel like ringing in and saying what a poor kid being given such a try-hard hipster name as this woman annoys me so much.

#12 seayork2002

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

I can't handle (I won't say I don't like them personally) sweet sickly voices or patronising ones and there is a thing that newsreaders mainly do, I don't notice it in dramas or other tv is this weird smacking of their lips thing.

It is like nails on a blackboard

#13 Gumbette

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

Ditto Kyle Sandilands.  I don't understand how on earth that tool is so popular.

#14 JomoMum

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

Nope. Reminds me of Peter Helier in the Project. I’m sure he’s a fine bloke, but from the rubbish that comes out of his mouth on the show, can’t stand him.

#15 Goldenash

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:37 PM

Mmm. I get it. I really dislike matt tillys sense of humor. I find it a bit mean and tends to take advantage of gullible people for a laugh. I have wondered if i have such an intense dislike because i can be a bit gullible myself.

He also has a distinctive voice which my brain now associated with his nasty jokes. Which would explain the dislike of him saying bland non offensive things.

I have decided not to dislike or hate him but i do not care for his humor and have no desire to listen to him. Ever.

Edited by Goldenash, 17 June 2019 - 02:38 PM.

#16 seayork2002

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:38 PM

There is British tv presenter who presents a politics type show, I like a lot of what she says but she never lets the people she is interviewing speaks and comes across like an attack dog.

Her questions are good and I like what she asks but it is like she likes the sound of her own voice more than finding out the answers

#17 South Coast

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

I hate everyone who is on, or ever was on The Project.

#18 Octopodes

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

I hate lots of people I don't know. Alan Jones, Peter Dutton, Donald Trump, Michael Slater, Michael Clarke... mostly sports people and politicians.

#19 Ayr

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:13 PM

I dislike alot of people I don't know. People I have met and have not.
First impressions count for A LOT for me. Often I just know when I meet someone for the first time and every time to date, I've been right. So I have disliked them from the get go even though I don't know them.

And then there's other people in the media as in the case of the OP where for some irrational reason I just don't like them. And other random people I come across day to day that I don't know, and won't ever know, that I don't like.

I'm always pleasant enough to their face if I come across them but that's all a front.

Edited by Ayr, 17 June 2019 - 04:14 PM.

#20 seayork2002

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:16 PM

I have debating whether to admit this but I cannot hold it in any longer - yes this may look bad I cannot say I have not thought 'serial killer'

#21 anon039

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:20 PM

I have to change the station when the 3pm pick up is on kiis fm.
There’s 2 or 3 boring celebrity mums (I think) speaking total rubbish. They sound like air heads.

I loved when Chrissy Swan & Jane Hall were together in the morning. I was horrified when they got rid of Chrissy and brought in Matt Tilly. What a mistake!

Edited by anon039, 18 June 2019 - 06:53 AM.

#22 BeAwesome

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:23 PM

View PostJomoMum, on 17 June 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

Nope. Reminds me of Peter Helier in the Project. I’m sure he’s a fine bloke, but from the rubbish that comes out of his mouth on the show, can’t stand him.

I disliked Peter Hellier for years until I saw him do a live show, he ended up winning me over.

#23 BeAwesome

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:25 PM

I also couldn't stand Ryan Reynolds in his romantic comedy phase, but I love his more recent stuff (i.e. Deadpool)

Jason Bateman has always rubbed me the wrong way too, as has Selma Blair.

#24 AliasMater

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:25 PM

Can't stand commercial radio. They talk utter rot and laugh at their own jokes that aren't funny. I don't know who you're talking about but I probably don't like him already. My car has been RN or silence for about a decade. At home I have my Amazon Music playlists.

#25 PatG

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:44 PM

There are people on eb I don't know and I dislike. But that's ok, I just don't respond to their threads.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.