3yo Kindy and immunisation

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 JayPeePee

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:33 PM

I've just started looking into kindys in my area and the current forerunner does NOT have a requirement to be immunised to attend. Is this normal practice?

#2 seayork2002

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:35 PM

I have not heard it is actually mandatory yet

#3 Mollycoddle

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

It's not mandatory, centres can make their own rules.  You just don't get the government rebates if you don't do it.

#4 rosie28

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

It not common practice but I believe it is allowed. It would remove the kinder from contention for me though!

#5 JayPeePee

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:58 PM

Oh wow, I didn't realise it wasn't mandatory.

View Postrosie28, on 17 June 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

It not common practice but I believe it is allowed. It would remove the kinder from contention for me though!

Yeah, I'm disappointed as it seemed a good fit.

#6 WaitForMe

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

Might depend on the state?

For instance, I thought in Vic you had to be up to date to enrol.

#7 Mmmcheese

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:07 PM

Vic you have to be up to date to enrol... Not sure about other states.

#8 ERipley

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:55 PM

Edited by ERipley, 19 August 2019 - 10:30 PM.

#9 JayPeePee

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:13 PM

I have found another kinder nearby that requires immunisation.
Thanks everyone for your help.

#10 Mrs Claus

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:31 PM

View Postrosie28, on 17 June 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

Why? If you’re kids are immunised then it shouldn’t be an issue

#11 blimkybill

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 17 June 2019 - 04:45 PM, said:

Victoria has state based rules that differ from all other states. In most states, immunisation is not compulsory. However children may be asked to stay home if there is an outbreak of a vaccine preventable disease. If you are not in Victoria you may just have to deal with it.

#12 Lunafreya

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:55 PM

View PostMrs Claus, on 17 June 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

Oh FFS...

#13 just roses

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:00 PM

It's an issue.

Vaccines are safe and effective. But vaccinated children can still become infected.

A rare kindy that doesn't require immunisation is likely to attract unvaxed kids, and so you'd expect vaccine preventable illnesses to spread through that centre in the even to of an outbreak, putting at risk both the vaxxed and non-vaxxed kids. Not to mention the siblings too young to be vaccinated.

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:05 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 17 June 2019 - 04:45 PM, said:

Kindy in Qld is the year before school & the only ones I know of that don't require compulsory vaccination are the stand alone community sessional kindy's. All other kindy programs are run through long daycare centres & I haven't found one of those that didn't require up to date status (or medical exemption certificates).

But if there is a case of a vaccine preventable illness all unvaccinated children are not allowed to attend for that timeframe.

#15 Lunafreya

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:05 PM

For comparison, my son’s kindy is super hippy and multicultural Nude food, messy play, celebrates Eid and the cherry blossom festival...yet vaccination is a requirement.

#16 Expelliarmus

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 17 June 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

For comparison, my son’s kindy is super hippy and multicultural Nude food, messy play, celebrates Eid and the cherry blossom festival...yet vaccination is a requirement.
That’s not a standard education setting?

Seems more mainstream than hippy to me.

#17 Lunafreya

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:32 AM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 17 June 2019 - 07:07 PM, said:

That’s not a standard education setting?

Seems more mainstream than hippy to me.
We have rather “corporate” kindys in the area. This stands out

#18 gettin my fance on

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:26 PM

Last I heard, pre-schoolers aren't signing themselves out and heading home by themselves.

Young babies would be at risk when they are brought into the building to pick up siblings.

Children with impaired immune systems who attend would be at risk from those not vaccinated.

#19 Soontobegran

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:55 PM

And here lies a problem.

#20 WaitForMe

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:48 PM

View PostWTFancie shmancie, on 23 June 2019 - 08:26 PM, said:

Last I heard, pre-schoolers aren't signing themselves out and heading home by themselves.

Young babies would be at risk when they are brought into the building to pick up siblings.

Children with impaired immune systems who attend would be at risk from those not vaccinated.

At a school with a low vax rate and a bit of a chicken pox outbreak, I heard it was the younger siblings that really took the hit.

Preschoolers are I'd imagine more likely to have newborn or too young to vax siblings.

#21 ipsee

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:56 PM

Imagine believing that immunisation was 100% effective, and still not getting your kids immunised!

#22 knottygirl

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:04 PM

View Postipsee, on 23 June 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

Imagine believing that immunisation was 100% effective, and still not getting your kids immunised!

And when there is an outbreak it’s blamed on shedding 🙄🙄 not on the unvaccinated kids.

#23 iwanttosleepin

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

In our local area the non-vaxed kids go to the local catholic 'kindergarten' program in the next town.  They have a full kindy program but only about 4-5 kids in each year above that.  They filter back into the local schools from prep year.

The only kindy programs locally in our town are through daycare centres and if not immunised they can't get the rebate.  they can still attend but wear the full cost of $80 a day.

The catholic kindy program is school terms only and 15 hours a week and much cheaper so the rebate is less of an issue.  I don't think any kids can access the rebate/subsidy at the kindy.

#24 Soontobegran

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

It is a requirement at the CC/pre school that one of my grand daughters goes to.

Edited by Soontobegran, 12 August 2019 - 08:18 PM.

#25 Clementinerose

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:02 AM

I’m pretty sure it’s a requirement in SA. When enrolling I had to show proof of age and immunisation. I’m not sure what happens if the kids aren’t immunised though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.