Are fridges supposed to keep your veggies fresh?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 anon039

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:45 PM

I’ve got a F & P fridge that’s about 15 years old.
It works but my veggies don’t even stay fresh for more than one day.
Things like spring onions I may as well throw out what I don’t use as it’s a wilted mess in less than 24 hours.

Things like cucumbers, carrots, lettuce and heaps more just don’t last.

I don’t want to be buying special boxes and bags and crap.

I just want to put the veggies in the veggie area and for them to last more than 1 day!
I’m considering even buying another fridge!

Any advice please??

#2 Cimbom

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:56 PM

Where do you buy your veggies from? Most produce from the big supermarkets tends to go bad quite quickly IME whereas stuff we get from other stores lasts longer

#3 Mollyksy

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:59 PM

That is strange. My 7 Lebanese cucumbers last all week, it's the only green thing DS5 will eat! I just keep them in the produce bag I bought them in. I don't wash until I use them. One day is odd.

Having said that supermarket produce often sits in climate controlled storage for a while so I have had fruit and vege that just disintegrated once I got home super quick. So maybe it's just the initial quality. Try maybe (if there are any left near you!) a fruit and vege shop or a fruit and vege delivery service. My dad was in fruit shops his whole life so the quality is usually better as they tend to go to the markets at least a few times a week.

Tupperware have containers that are supposed to keep fruit and vege longer, called fridge savers maybe?

Good luck!

#4 Expelliarmus

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:59 PM

It’s because the fridge is so old. I noticed a sudden huge difference when out 15ish year old fridge was replaced about 3 years ago. Fridge still worked, we just wanted a bigger one.  Suddenly the veggies were lasting a week instead of not at all!

It’s probably a technical thing like the seal deteriorate or the gas does whatever or something. I would start by having it serviced - check seals and things with a professional fridge person and  see if that helps.

#5 ERipley

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:03 PM

I would get a new fridge, or look at getting yours fixed. Fruit and veg should definitely last longer than that in the crisper. Are you sure it’s keeping everything else cold enough?

#6 blackcat20

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

Our F&P fridge is as old, if not older and our veg keeps all week. But we shop at a market as supermarket produce does go off in a matter of days.

#7 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

Is it turned down enough? What temperature is t on?

#8 AKAmum

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

My mum replaced her 22 year old Kelvinator fridge and noticed an immediate difference with her F&V. She had the seals replaced at around the 15 year mark.

#9 Catzilla

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:09 PM

I haven't had the opportunity to try these myself yet, but these Swag bags claim to keep fruit and veg fresher for longer in the fridge.  There's a bit of an initial outlay, but they are reusable.

https://www.floraand.../?rf=kw&kw=swag

#10 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:12 PM

Are you putting the veggies at the back of the fridge? If so, they might be freezing, which would mean they would go off overnight? I can’t think what else the problem would be, because a spring onion wouldn’t go off overnight even if left out of the fridge (unless already very old).

#11 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:15 PM

View PostTinkle Splashes, on 17 June 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

Are you putting the veggies at the back of the fridge? If so, they might be freezing, which would mean they would go off overnight? I can’t think what else the problem would be, because a spring onion wouldn’t go off overnight even if left out of the fridge (unless already very old).

Yeah, frozen veg ho soggy and gross as soon as they defrost.

Buy a fridge thermometer and see what the actual temp is in various zones.

#12 EmmDasher

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

View PostCatzilla, on 17 June 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

I haven't had the opportunity to try these myself yet, but these Swag bags claim to keep fruit and veg fresher for longer in the fridge.  There's a bit of an initial outlay, but they are reusable.

https://www.floraand.../?rf=kw&kw=swag

I have these but they’re not miracle bags. They’re a great alternative though if you use reuseable produce bags.

Our fruit and veg lasts 1-2 weeks and even longer in some cases. I store it in appropriate wrapping. MIL puts her fruit & veg loose in the crisper and it deteriorates overnight. If you’re storing it properly and it’s going off fast then you’re either buying dodgy stuff or your fridge is shot IMO.

Edited by EmmDasher, 17 June 2019 - 07:44 PM.

#13 nom_de_plume

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

We buy our F&V from a market or wholesaler and use the Tupperware vent smart containers. Ours keep for 2-3 weeks and the fridge is 9 years old. Maybe your fridge is on the way out.

I am vehemently anti-MLM but I picked those Tupperware containers up on a local BSS page for $15 each. They are seriously freaking amazing and great for us as we eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg.

#14 anon039

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:24 PM

Well I buy fruit from the same place and it stays fresh for days in the fruit bowl!

I also keep them in the veggie box where I’m supposed to keep veggies. In the slide out thing.

Edited by anon039, 17 June 2019 - 07:36 PM.

#15 ERipley

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 17 June 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

I have these but they’re not miracle bags. They’re a great alternative though if you use reuseable produce bags.

Our fruit and veg lasts 1-2 weeks and even longer in some cases. I store it in appropriate wrapping. MIL puts her fruit & veg loose in the crisper and It deteriorated overnight. If you’re storing it properly and it’s going off fast then you’re either buying dodgy stuff or your fridge is shot IMO.

I put mine loose in the crisper and I have no trouble. It would last longer in a box or bag but it lasts me at least a week as is. We eat it all in that time.

Edited by ERipley, 17 June 2019 - 07:41 PM.

#16 amdirel

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

My fruit and veg has to go into Tupperware containers. They can last 2 weeks.
No way they can be loose in my fridge, but mine is 17yo. I didn't know the age of the fridge had anything to do with it, I just thought nobody could put loose vegies in their fridge...

#17 JoanJett

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:42 PM

I think you need a new fridge, or perhaps a new seal for your old fridge.  

I get 1-2 weeks out of the veggies you mentioned.

#18 EmmDasher

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:43 PM

View PostERipley, on 17 June 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

I put mine loose in the crisper and I have no trouble. It would last longer in a box or bag but it lasts me at least a week as is. We eat it all in that time.

It’s good it works for you but I find the texture really gross when stuff is exposed to the fridge directly. It’s not inedible overnight but it’s noticeably affected.  I find things go off much faster, especially things like grapes, celery, herbs, carrots. They get very soggy and bendy.

Edited by EmmDasher, 17 June 2019 - 07:45 PM.

#19 anon039

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

View Postamdirel, on 17 June 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

My fruit and veg has to go into Tupperware containers. They can last 2 weeks.
No way they can be loose in my fridge, but mine is 17yo. I didn't know the age of the fridge had anything to do with it, I just thought nobody could put loose vegies in their fridge...

Really?
I thought that’s what the veg crisper drawer things were for. For putting veggies in.
I’ve never been told that they need to be put into containers or bags and then they can go in there.
What’s the point of having the veggie drawers then?

#20 EmmDasher

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:56 PM

Depends on how fancy your fridge is. Only things like apples, pears, avocado, melon, citrus would go in loose for us. Climate that suits those things will be inadequate for other things. Some fridges have multiple draws/settings.

Edited by EmmDasher, 17 June 2019 - 07:56 PM.

#21 amdirel

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

View Postanon039, on 17 June 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

Really?
I thought that’s what the veg crisper drawer things were for. For putting veggies in.
I’ve never been told that they need to be put into containers or bags and then they can go in there.

For sauces and jams. Lol. That's what I put in mine!

#22 ERipley

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:03 PM

Yes, I think the problem is that all our fridges are different so we can’t possibly agree on the best way to store veggies. I think we can probably all agree that nothing should be going off in a fridge in the space if one day.

#23 ~J_WTF~

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:05 PM

View Postanon039, on 17 June 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

Really?

I use Tupperware containers for fruit and veg.

One side of my crisper draw is for water bottles and the other is the snack draw :lol:

#24 anon039

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

Mmmm ok.

So I’ve been thinking of changing my fridge for a few months but because it’s still working I just plod along with it.

I’d really like a side by side one with the freezer on one side and fridge in the other.
I don’t want to pack my veggies to store them in the fridge.

#25 anon039

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:17 PM

This is how I want to store my veggies!!!

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.