Urinary tract infection

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 My4beautifulboys

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

It seems my Dm has a urinary tract infection, as I recognise the symptoms from once when I had it. It’s very unpleasant. What is the cure for it, does she need antibiotics to clear it up? Will it wait until tomorrow or to see a doctor, she is not keen to go to Ed.

#2 chillipeppers

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

You need antibiotics to get rid of it but they will test urine first.

#3 tarrie cat

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:18 PM

Don't mess about with UTIs. Go to your GP, she'll need to wee into a sample pot for the doc to test and if positive, get the antibiotics and take the full prescription.

You can also get Ural which helps to neutualise urine and make weeing less painful while the antibiotics take effect. Cranberries can help but you need an awful lot of them.

(Speaking as someone who had six UTIs in six months and had go on incredibly strong antibiotics to get rid of it. If I get even a hint of an infection these days, I'm straight to the GP and will insist on antibiotics.)

Edited by tarrie cat, 17 June 2019 - 07:19 PM.

#4 Babetty

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:28 PM

There are a few UTI strains around that are resistant to certain antibiotics, so the urine test is really important to make sure they give you the right type. I started on one set of antibiotics, then had to go and get a new prescription when the test results came in.

#5 Lou-bags

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:07 PM

Dm? Is that your mum?

Yes to antibiotics. In the absence of abdominal pain and fever, I’d probably wait until first thing in the morning to see a GP. But... don’t take advice from EB. Call healthdirect and get their advice.

#6 My4beautifulboys

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

Yes. Thank you for your suggestions. It’s not very nice and leaves you feeling quite rotten.
Will try the ural cranberry sachets mixed with water  first, if no luck will then go and see the doctor.
As sounds like will need antibiotics to help.

#7 Fossy

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:35 PM

Go to the GP in the morning, if she’s showing symptoms she need antibiotics.  UTIs can turn nasty, especially in older people.  Hope she’s on the mend soon.

#8 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:58 PM

Ural will not resolve the UTI it just takes away the burning.

Left untreated the infection will get serious and end up as a kidney infection.
UTI's are really the only illness I get and I used to kid myself I could flush it out .
Then I ended up with high fever, vomiting, convulsive shivering and needed an injection of antibiotics and 2 courses to solve the problem.
You might not need ED tonight but a doctors visit tomorrow is essential.
If the patient is at all fragile i would be ringing Dr on call

#9 opethmum

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:33 PM

I almost lost my life to a UTI, get onto it now. She can not wait. This infection can take lives and takes lives of too many people thinking it can wait.

Take her to the GP tomorrow, just go and get it done ASAP.

#10 My4beautifulboys

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:28 PM

Thank you. Sorry to hear you’ve also had a bad time from
It. Yes that is what concerned me especially due to her age, I think it can become rapidly bad. I took her to the doctor, they tested, is definitely Uti. She is on a course of antibiotics with further check up in 5 days.

#11 opethmum

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:39 PM

That is great you got on to it. i wish a speedy recovery.

#12 Chelli

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:48 PM

I would not wait if you suspect there is a UTI. They can get really bad. I had one when I was a teen but had no idea what it was. In fact, I was pretty embarrassed that it hurt to urinate, so I kept that to myself. I remember we were driving in a car park and going over those slow speed humps and I couldn't take the pain any more. My back was aching and I finally told my mum that I didn't feel well. By this stage I had a fever and chills and a really sore back. The infection had gone to my kidneys and I was admitted to hospital on a drip to get rid of it.

Glad to see you sought medical help.

#13 Mumma bug

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:11 PM

I got a kidney infection from a UTI. It was awful and I was lucky I got the right antibiotics in time to clear it up before it became septic.

Don’t mess about, get her to an after hours GP ASAP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.