Fiji holiday

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MummaBlossom

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

Does anyone have feedback on the Hideaway Resort Coral Reef Fiji? We have an opportunity to stay here with family, but with a son who is anaphylactic to dairy, egg, nuts and sesame we are reluctant to travel overseas. I've emailed the resort but am yet to hear back.

Also, are there any 'parents of kids with food allergies' groups around? I'm a member with allergy and anaphylaxis australia but their fb page doesn't have a members discussion area (unless I've missed it!)

Thank you!

#2 justbreath

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:07 PM

I don’t know that resort specifically but Fiji’s heath care is generally fairly “third world”. You would be at least 45min from even a smallish hospital on the coral coast. They do take food allergies seriously from what I’ve seen but I would still be taking as much food as possible and self catering. Anaphylaxis to dairy is a serious risk (the others are more easily avoided) as it is in so many things and people just don’t even realise.

#3 justbreath

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:08 PM

What is the specific appeal of Fiji? Is there somewhere else with more medical options that could be an alternative?

#4 SplashingRainbows

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:22 PM

I e been to the coral coast. Wouldn’t go with a child ana to anything.

Would be more likely to go to Denaru Island but would need to confirm where the nearest hospital is.

There are a lot of places I’d travel before Fiji for a child with anaphylaxis allergies.

#5 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:34 PM

Nadi hospital is the closest to Denerau, so 5 minutes away. Our extended family stayed at Denerau and MIL is celiac and nephew and niece are allergic to dairy, eggs ( but not ana) and minor intolerance to gluten.
The Sheraton seemed quite aware of gluten free  and other allergies and baked fresh bread from displayed packet mixes, had a gluten free area at the buffet and also made a gluten, egg and diary free birthday cake with whipped and toasted cocnut cream icing at SIls request.
However both MIL and grandkids are not ana and don't face a life and death situation to trace.

BTW Denerau is nothing to write home about. There's much nicer places in Australia.

#6 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:37 PM

Oh and I stayed at Hideaway 16 years ago. It's not near any other resturants or resorts, so you end up having to eat at the hotel all the time. It also didn't have any options for self catering.

#7 MummaBlossom

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for your replies. We didn't select the destination, my very generous parents offered for us to join them on a trip they are taking. I did ask about doing the cooking myself but the rooms don't have kitchens. It is a lovely offer but we will go with my initial thoughts and decline!

Has anyone traveled internationally with a child with anaphylaxis? It's a very scary thought for me...but even eating out in our own suburb makes me nervous!!!

#8 beccaj

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:28 PM

MummaBlossom there are some great threads on travelling with ANA that includes airline choices etc. I travel with my DD ana to nuts a lot. Our first international trip was Vietnam with her. Its a nervous time but it gets easier each trip

#9 MummaBlossom

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:19 AM

Thanks beccaj, I'll check out those threads before we make any plans.

#10 babybug15

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

I used to live in Suva and had no issue with nut allergy or dairy intollerance- but that's very different to anaphylaxis. The private hospital in Suva is of a very high standard, but it will be a significant distance from the resort should anything go wrong.

#11 aluminium

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

View PostMummaBlossom, on 17 June 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

Has anyone traveled internationally with a child with anaphylaxis? It's a very scary thought for me...but even eating out in our own suburb makes me nervous!!!

Understandable reaction, I feel.

We took our ANA to cashews, peanuts and soy kiddo to the USA/Canada this year and was amazed at how allergy-aware and helpful restaurants were. We were only declined service in one restaurant and that was because they smoked their meat in roasted almond and that seemed fair enough.

We found with the airlines it was harder to guarantee food safety, although our flights with United had everything properly labelled.

I recently travelled to Bali without my ANA kid, and while they were allergy-aware, it wasn't enough to guarantee her safety and we wont take her anywhere like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.