Bunk beds - are they safe/?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jellybean 3

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:46 PM

My DD is desperate for a bunk bed for birthday. DH fell off a bunk as a child and got concussion and his brother broke his arm - so he is against it. Added complication is 6 year old sister who has some health and balance issues. Is it a really bad idea...?  Any safer alternatives that will give DD a feeling of a hideaway/private space in her bedroom? Thanks

#2 amdirel

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

We've had bunk beds for about 12 years, and not a single injury. The one in the top bunk is very sensible though. And no one is ever allowed to climb on his bed!

#3 Caribou

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:53 PM

I have a bunk bed for DD who’s 7 and DS is 2. It’s been fine. I was quite particular about getting a mid rise one rather than high rise.

I got this one with no issues. https://www.fortywin...ercury-ksb-bunk

Only thing I have to say is making the beds in bunks is a royal pain in the butt

Ikea has really good bunk bed combos but all single. I really like the stuva one. You can put a normal freestanding bed under the bunk so it’s flexible.

Another option is if it’s just for your DD and no bed sharing is this. It’s really not high off the floor https://www.fortywin...r-drawer---desk

Edited by Caribou, 17 June 2019 - 09:55 PM.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:55 PM

I had concussion from falling out of a top one as adult, no I was not drinking.

I am a restless sleeper though

#5 liveworkplay

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:58 PM

My siblings and I had bunk beds for most of our childhood...no injuries. My girls had bunk beds until a couple of years ago (eldest two are now teens)...again no injuries.

As long as they are sturdy, with a good ladder and side , I wouldn't say they are too bad. I think statistically you'd find there are more injuries on trampolines and bicycles then bunk beds.

#6 WaitForMe

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:03 PM

You can get some pretty low ones.

Ours is an overlapping one, where the top bunk is about 2 thirds over the bottom one, means the top can be lower. I've also seen them where the bottom is basically on the ground.

DH has a scar to show from his childhood bunk bed. He was being silly and ignoring his parents.

We have a no play rule. That combined with the lower height of ours makes me fairly comfortable about it. I also keep the area below clear, so if anything does happen, its not onto any dangerous objects.

#7 Octopodes

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:04 PM

I would only have bunk beds if the child sleeping on the top is a 'dead to the world, sleep in the same position all night' type person. Not a chance if they are a restless sleeper or someone who gets up multiple times a night for a pee/drink.

#8 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:10 PM

9yo is the minimum age recommended for the top bunk bed. My 10yo is a total clutz though so no bunk beds for us.

https://www.products...iture/bunk-beds

What about a canopy bed?

#9 BornToLove

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:10 PM

I think it’s really down to the kids in the bunks more than bunk beds themselves.

My brother had bunk beds growing up, not a single injury. My cousin had the same bunk bed as my brother did, but he was a very active, rough and tumble kid. He broke an arm and a leg in separate accidents playing on the bed. I’m sure he had a few head knocks when he was older as well (low ceiling in his room).

DD has asked for bunk beds for ages but I’ve always said no. She’s too active in her sleep, she moves around a lot but also sleep walks on occasion. I’m worried she would fall off in her sleep.

#10 lizzzard

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:45 PM

View PostCheesy Sanga, on 17 June 2019 - 10:10 PM, said:

9yo is the minimum age recommended for the top bunk bed.
Oh, I didn't know this! Oops :p

I think DD was on the top from about 6, and DS from 8. No issues, but I like the overlapping design - if you fell off you'd fall onto the bed below!

#11 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:12 AM

Bunk beds are lower these days. The lower bunk can be basically at ground level and the upper bunk isn’t too high then. And they have rails all around. Plus you can add your own bed rail. You can get them with stairs instead of ladders too. Have a look, there are heaps to choose from.

Ike’s has a bed with a canopy that goes on top. That might be an option too.

#12 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:23 AM

Our ikea one basically has the bottom bunk on the ground so the top ones not that high. Maybe have a look at some see what you think?

#13 Claudia Jean

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

View Postlizzzard, on 17 June 2019 - 10:45 PM, said:

Oh, I didn't know this! Oops :p

I think DD was on the top from about 6, and DS from 8. No issues, but I like the overlapping design - if you fell off you'd fall onto the bed below!

My kids were in bunks when they were 4 and 2.  No incidents.  The beds were always "out of bounds" when their friends were over, and they were boring to my kids so it never occurred to them to get up to mischief.  The top bunk has rails all around it so almost impossible to fall out.

#14 born.a.girl

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:20 AM

Growing up in a 3 x bed post war brick veneer, with six kids, bunks were the only way we'd fit in the room.  No injuries ever, that I recall.

#15 hills mum bec

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:50 PM

What about something like this?

https://www.templean...AyABEgKxe_D_BwE

You can dress it up with something like this:

https://www.mydeal.c...r-canopy-353568

#16 redchick

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

No problems with bunk beds for my boys (they were 5 1/2 when they started using them.

We had an absolutely strict only one person on the top bunk at a time. My DS2 was on the top bunk because he was, like a PP said, a dead to the world sleeper. My occasional sleep walking DS1 was never allowed to sleep on the top bunk. We were also careful about blankets hanging over that could make the ladder slippery. Never had problems. (Except for the first night when DS1 was sad because he couldn’t see his brother as he was going to sleep - they’d only had twin beds up to then).

Totally agree with what a PP said about being a pain to change the sheets. Without wanting to spark another one of those threads about how often do you change your sheets my boys sheets were changed a lot less often with the bunk beds!

#17 jayskette

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:44 PM

I grew up in a country where every kid slept in bunk beds. They are safe as long as the kid knows not to play in it or do stupid stuff.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:52 PM

Five children in three small bedrooms meant bunks.

We had rules which we were very strict about and there were no injuries.

Injuries don't happen generally from just sleeping in the bunks but from messing around on them.

#19 Freddie'sMum

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:54 PM

We have a lowline bunk bed for DD#2.  The bottom bunk is next to the ground and the top bunk is only up a foot or so.  She is starting high school next year, so we are going to see if someone wants it.  It is designed for younger kids.

We did have a traditional proper, high bunk bed for DD#1 but it was so big and tall, it completely dominated the bedroom and we gave it away.  The 2 beds could be split back to single beds and I think that's what the new owners did.

#20 Goldenash

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:57 PM

We have 3 yr old and 5 yr old in bunk beds. No injuries (so far). Our very very sensible 5 yr old sleeps up top. Would never have contemplated it with the 3 year old.

We are strict on no jumping/playing. No friends up there. Sensible on the ladder, must climb facing the ladder and not jump down etc.

Would be a bit more hesitant if I had kids that were more adventurous.

Agree with pp they are a pain to make,

#21 Ayr

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

Our boys had bunk beds with no issues and then when they got their own rooms, loft beds due to small room size. My daughter got one too, she was 7 at the time and those loft beds were much higher than the bunk was.
Both bunks and loft beds had the rail so it stopped them from rolling out.
When they got older and we were short on cash we cut the legs off the loft beds to make them normal single beds.

#22 bec578

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:09 PM

I remember my bunks at my grandparents house for sleepover there (I'm 40) and being terrified of falling off the top as no safety rail back in those days. The standards now mean the rails etc. My kids have loft beds & love them

#23 seayork2002

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

View Postbec578, on 20 June 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

I remember my bunks at my grandparents house for sleepover there (I'm 40) and being terrified of falling off the top as no safety rail back in those days. The standards now mean the rails etc. My kids have loft beds & love them

The one I fell off had rails but I still managed to do it as an adult (it is rare though!)

#24 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:37 PM

Our kids used bunks at 8/10yrs due to moving to small apartment. No problems, but like PP said no fighting/playing there. 18m later we will be dismantling them when we move back home and they have their own bedrooms.

They have also slept on bunks at grandparents house since 4/6 yrs.

No injuries, but also rules of no silliness around bunks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.