16th birthday gift for niece interstate

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeFeral

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:58 PM

Help! Need 16th birthday gift for my niece.

We used to be really close when she was small, and she's still very special to me, and I wanted something that would be memorable. My nephew of the same age I took to a musical and dinner and it was lovely, but she's interstate so I can't. But she also is rich and has lots of rich relatives so there will be expensive gifts galore. A couple of years ago I got her a (I think very beautiful) name necklace, so that's been done.
She's very into fashion and so on (and I'm not) but just to set the scene.

I asked her if there was anything she wanted and she asked for money towards her holiday that she's saving up for. Right or wrong I don't really want to do that. Her family is rich by many multiples of ours, $700 dollar shoe territory, skiing holidays in Switzerland and the works, and I think they can fund their own holidays (and I presume will make up the difference between whatever she saves and whatever the holiday costs). So I'm hoping to think of something else. I'm ok explaining to her that I wanted something memorable from us specifically rather than something from a whole group. But I've no idea what. Help!

#2 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:06 PM

A book that you treasured when you were her age, with an inscription about how much you loved it, and hope that she will too.

#3 MakesMeHappy

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:19 PM

A pandora bracelet? a plane ticket to visit you? Where is she going on holiday? Could you get her something holiday specific?

#4 teejay

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:29 PM

What sort of price range are you looking at?

#5 Dianalynch

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:37 PM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 19 June 2019 - 10:06 PM, said:

A book that you treasured when you were her age, with an inscription about how much you loved it, and hope that she will too.

lovely idea, I would go with something more personal too, eg a framed treasured family photograph, a limited edition print to start her art collection, a beautiful journal if she likes writing

#6 CallMeFeral

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:49 PM

View Postteejay, on 19 June 2019 - 10:29 PM, said:

What sort of price range are you looking at?

I guess it depends on the awesomeness of the gift. Probably $50 if it's just meh, but if I found something that really seemed amazing and memorable and I was sure she'd like, maybe up to $250.

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 19 June 2019 - 10:06 PM, said:

I'll have a think about whether I can think of one I loved that was not sci fi/fantasy. Sadly the aforementioned nephew shares my book taste more than she does so this has been easier with him - she and I seem to have relatively little in common now that she's into clothes and makeup and nails and fashion and all the sort of stuff I consider shallow and meaningless (yes I try to keep that to myself). But it makes it really hard for me to share the things that I loved and valued with her, because they aren't her cup of tea any more.

#7 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 19 June 2019 - 10:49 PM, said:

I'll have a think about whether I can think of one I loved that was not sci fi/fantasy. Sadly the aforementioned nephew shares my book taste more than she does so this has been easier with him - she and I seem to have relatively little in common now that she's into clothes and makeup and nails and fashion and all the sort of stuff I consider shallow and meaningless (yes I try to keep that to myself). But it makes it really hard for me to share the things that I loved and valued with her, because they aren't her cup of tea any more.

Maybe a book you have enjoyed more recently? Treat her as more of an adult.

#8 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:00 PM

gift voucher for a few driving lessons?

#9 Ellie bean

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:03 PM

Something like a nice leather makeup case she can take on her trip? That’s personal but caters to her interests rather than yours. I just googled “leather makeup case” and there’s some pretty ones

#10 missminx

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:05 PM

If she is into fashion, what about something classic like a pashmina scarf in her favourite colour or an evening clutch bag?  

Olga Berg sell gorgeous clutches and some of their bags have the option of engraving  the recipient's initials on the clasp.

Edited by missminx, 19 June 2019 - 11:07 PM.

#11 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:16 PM

View Postmissminx, on 19 June 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

If she is into fashion, what about something classic like a pashmina scarf in her favourite colour or an evening clutch bag?  

Olga Berg sell gorgeous clutches and some of their bags have the option of engraving  the recipient's initials on the clasp.

You can’t get a fashion mad 16yo an Olga Berg clutch, that’s not going to work at all.

#12 CallMeFeral

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:19 PM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 19 June 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

Maybe a book you have enjoyed more recently? Treat her as more of an adult.

Those are the ones I read as an adult :p
Or did, back pre kids when I still knew how to read books. These days I pretty much only read textbooks.

View PostEllie bean, on 19 June 2019 - 11:03 PM, said:

Something like a nice leather makeup case she can take on her trip? That’s personal but caters to her interests rather than yours. I just googled “leather makeup case” and there’s some pretty ones

Ooh this is a nice idea!

And thanks Miss Minx, I'll check that out too! Her and her mum are very brand conscious, so I was wary of venturing into that world as I'm a total noob at it, but engraving makes it a bit personal and nice regardless of whether they are fans of the brand I think.

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 19 June 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

You can’t get a fashion mad 16yo an Olga Berg clutch, that’s not going to work at all.

Aha, ok. Thanks for the heads up! :o

#13 #YKG

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:27 PM

If she is into makeup, mimco have great makeup bags that can also be monogrammed. She can use it home or travel.

Edited by #YKG, 19 June 2019 - 11:27 PM.

#14 AdelTwins

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:22 AM

Lonely Planet Guide for her holiday location?

#15 Sui-yat

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:33 AM

Maybe something from the daily edited? They have all kinds of things that you can get monogrammed.

https://www.thedailyedited.com/

#16 Nicco85

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:10 AM

Second the daily edited range- seems lovely quality, lots of travel pieces that can be monogrammed and I think it’d be acceptable/ desirable for that age group.

#17 onetrick

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:17 AM

Could you get her an experience type thing for on her holiday? Depends where she is going and with whom, obviously.
We gave my cousin who sounds similar a voucher for a make up course when she was 16. I went along too,as we thought sending her by herself was a little mean (maybe see if her mum/ sibling/ friend could go). It was fun! Wasnt expensive either, maybe $50? Byo make up though.

#18 SFmummyto3

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:44 AM

Neoprene bags are very popular here with that age group, something like this..

https://www.theiconi...CBoCSi0QAvD_BwE

Or a makeup bag maybe monogrammed with a Mecca giftcard inside. Kate Spade also popular here too with that age group. US site often cheaper than buying here.

Jewellery is good too but depends on her taste. My 16yr old loves pearls and adores her pearl stud earrings but doesn't like bracelets. Another loves stacking bracelets and stacking rings.

Edited by SFmummyto3, 20 June 2019 - 06:47 AM.

#19 Sincerely

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:08 AM

Great suggestions from PPs.
The monogrammed make up bag sounds a great idea.
Otherwise, a monogrammed passport holder & matching key ring.
Or all three in matching materials & style.

#20 Soontobegran

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:45 AM

Mimco anything. It is my most requested brand from that aged relatives.
I have bought phone covers, wallets, handbags and jewellery.

#21 Inkogneatoh

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

My grandmother went big on 16th birthday presents. I know 2 of my cousins got jewelry boxes for theirs. One was mail ordered (pre internet days), direct to her house. In that case it was one of the large ornate ones that allow for the hanging of necklaces, drawers for rings etc. The other one got a largish silver or pewter one that was engraved. It suited each cousins style.

(For the record, I got a sewing machine, my brother got a starter power tool set, and the sister of the two cousins got boots and an Akubra.)

View PostSincerely, on 20 June 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

Great suggestions from PPs.
The monogrammed make up bag sounds a great idea.
Otherwise, a monogrammed passport holder & matching key ring.
Or all three in matching materials & style.

The monogrammed passport holder was going to be another suggestion.

#22 teejay

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

I'd also suggest something monogrammed. The daily edited or Mon Purse do some really stuff. The pouches at mon purse are great. https://www.monpurse...tegory/pouches/

If you wanted to give  jewellery my dd and friends all love Tiffany & co. The return to Tiffany heart tag earrings are very popular but are $270. https://www.tiffany....wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#23 justcait2

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:02 PM

If you are still really close what about flying her to your state and spending time with her taking her out to dinner and the movies.  Sometimes it is the time spent rather than the money that is treasured.

#24 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:00 PM

justcait2, on 21 June 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

If you are still really close what about flying her to your state and spending time with her taking her out to dinner and the movies.  Sometimes it is the time spent rather than the money that is treasured.

Sadly the mother is very protective and has refused to let her fly alone.

#25 Daffy2016

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:31 PM

Yup, mon purse, daily  edited or mimco monogrammed make up or jewellery case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.