Gallbladder removed

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 *melrose*

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:46 PM

I'm going into surgery in a couple of weeks to have my gallbladder removed due to gallstones, just have some questions for those of you that have had it removed.
What was the healing time? When were you  able to go back to work and function normal? How long was the hospital stay?
My pain has got a lot worst in the last 3 months and I think it's almost time to have my first operation which I am terrified at having.

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:08 PM

Didn't you have a similar thread about a month ago?

Healing time: probably about 2 weeks to be able to lift my then-toddler DD comfortably and easily without pain. No external stitches on the three incisions. They had steristrips on them, and dissolving stitches just under the skin. They took 10-14 days to seal over.

Work would depend on what you do eg sitting at a desk or something physically demanding. If it's sitting at a desk you'd probably be fine the next day or within a few days. Depends on how you go with the general anaesthetic. I need a few days to sleep it off so I'd need a few days just for sleeping and reaching full alertness.

Hospital stay was a few hours. I was supposed to stay overnight but felt well and refused to stay overnight. Surgeon was happy to discharge me after telling a nurse to load me up with morphine. I was dressed, packed and waiting for discharge when the surgeon came around to check on me in hospital, and picked DD up while he was talking to me. He figured I was well enough to go home, and told DH to bring me back to hospital if needed. The main reason he would have had me stay overnight was for pain relief but I was feeling fine, especially once the nurse gave me a lovely dose of morphine.

It can be very disorienting waking up from GA. One moment you're awake and in one room, and the next you're awake in a different room with different people around you, and possibly in pain. For me it feels like absolutely no time has passed but once I discover the dressings or incisions I realise that time has passed. Tell the hospital that it's your first time when you go in and they should be extra reassuring with you, especially when you wake up in recovery. Recovery ward has usually been 2-6 patients in one room, with curtains drawn if needed, with lots of nurses buzzing around checking on everyone and doing obs. At some stage once you're relatively awake the surgeon should come in and talk to you briefly to let you know how the operation went. It normally takes me a few minutes after waking up to work out how to talk. Initially all I can do is grunt but the nurses are fluent in grunts.

Good luck.

#3 c.sanders

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:23 AM

Have you tried having apple cider vinegar with warm water?  Or buscopan?

#4 just2ofus

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:19 AM

I went in for the surgery 2 weeks ago and had 1.5 weeks of work, I didn’t expect for the recovery to be as painful as it was. I thought I’d be back at work after a couple days 😂

I had 2 nights in hospital, I didn’t start to feel like I could function normally for just over a week. DS and I had Uber eats pretty much every day and he had the time off school because I couldn’t drive / cook / move.

#5 peachkoala

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:34 AM

I had one night in hospital. 2 weeks off work, though recovery was a lot better than when I had my appendix out. it was school holidays so the kids helped out a bit.

I usually vomit after waking up in recovery, not fun after surgery!

#6 blimkybill

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

It depends if you are having laparoscopic surgery or a full incision.  Laparoscopic is easier on the body and more common. You may only be in hospital one night. In this type of surgery they pump gas into your abdomen so they can see everything.  As the gas slowly removes itself as you recover,  there is a specific pain called shoulder tip pain. My tip is to lie down a lot in the recovery period, even if you don't feel unwell, because this will minimize the rather unpleasant shoulder tip pain.
Overall you will probably feel much better quickly due to no longer having the gallstones.

#7 Octopodes

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

Take 2 weeks off work, the recovery is pretty slow going. You're not meant to drive for at least a week either. I spent one night in hospital. I also ended up with 5 wounds instead of 3 as my gall bladder was hard to get out.

I've had several surgeries, including a c/s and jaw surgery, the gall bladder op has been the worst recovery wise.

Good luck and take it easy afterwards.

#8 cvbn

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

I was surprised at my slow recovery BUT pretty much spot on, at two weeks, I felt a lot better.

#9 Soontobegran

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

I still have my gall bladder but 2 of my children and both my parents lost theirs. My dad was 89 when his was removed, he did not even stay 24 hours. He had afternoon surgery and came home the next morning.
All of the above had virtually no pain that the odd Panadol didn't help and were back doing normal things within a few days including driving.

Good luck OP. You will be better without it.

#10 Steggles66

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:58 AM

I also had one night in hospital and recovery was really straight forward. I had a week off work based on surgeons medical certificate but could of gone back to work after two days. For me, my gallbladder was completely full of stones that two days after the operation I actually felt better than I had in years! But as you can see from the above posts recovery like all surgery can really differ between people.

#11 Chchgirl

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

It's been a long time for me, I had it done 20 years ago when my dd wad 1.

I wasn't working at the time so didn't need to take time off work but dh did, my surgeon made an appointment for a week's time and said dh wouldn't need much time off and I'd be good in 2 weeks, I was skeptical! ! My daughter wasn't walking yet so was a bit worried. .

I needn't have worried-1 night in hospital,  keyhole surgery, and was c feeling great in a week, I sent dh back to work and I do remember feeling great in 2 weeks.

Gallstones were worse than childbirth in my opinion!

#12 hills mum bec

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

I had mine out with keyhole surgery when I was 30.  My surgery was very late in the evening so I stayed overnight and then the next night as well.  Was quite groggy and sore while in hospital the day after but by the time I went home I was feeling much better and didn't need any pain relief at all.  I had a week off work but could have gone back after a few days.  Having the surgery was great for me and I don't think I realised how crap I felt before the surgery until I had my gall bladder out.

#13 wallofdodo

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:13 AM

View Postblimkybill, on 20 June 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

It depends if you are having laparoscopic surgery or a full incision.  Laparoscopic is easier on the body and more common. You may only be in hospital one night. In this type of surgery they pump gas into your abdomen so they can see everything.  As the gas slowly removes itself as you recover,  there is a specific pain called shoulder tip pain. My tip is to lie down a lot in the recovery period, even if you don't feel unwell, because this will minimize the rather unpleasant shoulder tip pain.
Overall you will probably feel much better quickly due to no longer having the gallstones.

Yeah that pain is bad. I found I had to recline rather than lie fully down.

I was off for 2 weeks, and in hospital over night. I had a small child, and couldn't lift him for a while.

#14 bikingbubs

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

I had keyhole surgery and my recovery was very straight forward.  I had 1 night in hospital then had thurs/fri off and was back at work on the monday.  Certainly wasn't back to full capacity but I didn't need any more time off as I have a job I can sit down all day at.

Was far less painful than gallstone pain, that is for sure!!!!!

#15 magic_marker

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:49 AM

I guess having gall bladder surgery is like childbirth. Everyone is going to have a different experience.
And being terrified is completely normal. I agree with other posters about feeling better after the surgery. We would all rather having you around rather than the alternative of not having it out.
All the best with your surgery and take care!

#16 Chchgirl

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:00 PM

Nah, the surgery was a piece of cake. I.meant the pain from having gallstones was worse than childbirth.  I literally thought I was going to die at times!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.