Weight loss - long term, large amount

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

I was wondering if anyone here has lost a large amount of weight (20+ kg), long term (5+ years) and if so, how did you do it? What was your life like pre-weight gain, during weight loss and post weight loss?

Feel free to skip the next bit. TL;DR: I am fat. Want to see if permanent weight loss is realistic without surgery.

I need to lose weight. To be classed as a healthy weight I need to lose at least 50kg. I don't see that as being realistic without surgery (something I am looking at).

A few years ago I lost 30 kgs, and then gained it all back and then some. I have lost nearly 10 kg with my last 2 pregnancies but gained 15+ kgs breastfeeding.

Realistically I know that long term, significant weight loss is not common. It's usually a loss/gain cycle. I have seen itnat the gym I used to work at. I have read the stats. I watch a family member yoyo about 25kgs every 18 months.

It has made it really hard to be motivated to try when it all seems pointless anyway.

It seems like the only way to shift, and keep off, significant sums of weight is surgery. And while I am not opposed to surgery, I have so many people in my ear telling me to just do x and the weight will fall off. They don't realise it's not losing it, I just don't want to spend the rest of my life fighting food in this binge and restrict cycle.

I am also on a waiting list to see a psychologist in regards to food as it is my coping strategy for life.

So, what's your story?

TIA

#2 ERipley

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:40 AM

Come on over to our weight loss support thread. I can’t answer your questions but there are some incredible women there who probably can.

http://m.essentialki...0#entry18419019

#3 #YKG

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

Not sure if I fit, but in the last 18 months I’ve dropped 50 kilos, I’ve plateaued rather last few months, I’ve got another 40ish kg until I hit my ideal. I’ve done it all without surgery.

I was overweight at end of high school and ended up obese, it was done to lack of activity and bad/lazy food choices on my part. I got a job and had my own money, I worked at night so often picked up something microwave ready at work for dinner or went to one of the take out places close by.

Previous to now I lost 20 kilos and put 30+ back on, this is the first time I haven’t gained and managed to keep my weight down, I am 95% pretty strict on my nutrition, I don’t cut out food groups entirely but I do limit things like rice and pasta to once a week, I eat pretty clean, whole non processed food.

I’ve had every advice under the sun, people encourage surgery but my current and past jobs mean I’ll never go down that road, I’ve seen it go horrifically wrong, and it happens more than people think/know. In the end you need to find what works for you and your body, what works for me won’t for another person. I also workout 5/6 days a week doing a mixture of cardio and weights. It’s a balance that my PT and I have found that works for me.

I still have the occasional chocolate or crappy food, but because I haven’t completely eliminated it means that when I do have it I don’t eat a whole block or massive bag of chips anymore. It’s more moderation then anything really. I also keep my calories at 1200-1300 each day, if I go over slight one day I don’t want strict down for the next, I just make sure I reevaluate and learn, it hasn’t caused weight gain.

It’s hard and long process, but it is possible and very doable without surgery.

#4 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:18 AM

I lost 20 or so kilos over 5 years ago and kept it all off.  I went strictly low carb.  No exercise because I am lazy.

Recently I was very ill for several months and by January I was losing a kilo a week.  The final diagnosis was T2 diabetes.  I lost 20 kilos very rapidly.  It has stayed off and I am now still slowly losing.

I don't recommend T2 diabetes as a weightloss method :p but low carb has been very effective for me.

#5 Jersey Caramel

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:37 PM

Not my situation,  but I have been doing a lot of reading about interval weight loss - i.e. lose a little bit (2kg), maintain for a month, repeat. The theory is that this may help to avoid the physiological adaptations that cause people to regain weight (lowering of metabolism, increased hunger hormones,  etc) after losing weight.

There are some excellent Australian researchers studying this in a very rigorous scientific way (randomised controlled trials etc). Dr Amanda Salis and Dr Nicholas Fuller at the University of Sydney are two to Google for lay info.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:07 PM

My dad has lost 15kg over the last year by following a strict low GI diet & completely cutting out alcohol.

The diet wasn't done for the weight loss reason, but to attempt to get his type 2 diabetes under control. The weight loss has been the bonus.

There is also no exercise in that besides incidental day to day walking due to other medical issues.

#7 Odd-1-Out

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

I have lost 45 kilos in the last 5 years and that includes being pregnant in that time. The way I have done it gets a lot of flack, the usual "It doesnt work long term, you"ll put all the weight back on plus more..."

When I was fat I tried the whole be kind to yourself approach and it didnt work FOR ME. I changed the meaning of "being kind to myself". I asked myself "Do you want to be fat yes or no?" and also "Do you want to die yes or no?" I had to make it that black and white and that simple. I decided being kind to myself didn't mean eating junk and telling myself it was ok, being kind to myself meant getting healthy and (hopefully) not dying early from weight related health issues.(Now I allow occasional treats, and I had one bad week recently)

Again this is what worked FOR ME, and most people don't like this approach. Everyone has their own issues and different things work for different people.

I didnt realise but before weight loss I didn't give a crap about myself or my health. I ate what I wanted and felt miserable most of the time and I was in A LOT of pain. I looked and felt like crap. I look back at old photos of myself and I can see the sadness and pain in my eyes.

I started my weight loss journey(sorry dont know what else to call it), mid december and I was that determined and fed up with being fat that I didnt even celebrate Christmas, I treated it as just another day and I stuck with my weight plan. There were times I was really hungry but I didn't deviate from the plan because I didnt want to look and feel like this anymore. 3 months later I had lost 17 kilos.

I maintained that weight, had a baby then went back on my plan for another 3 months then maintained then went back on etc. Now im almost at the end.

Now im lighter, my skin looks better and the pain is gone. I move around more not on purpose but just because it is so much easier 45 kilos lighter that I just do it naturally. I can go into clothes stores and know I will find something that fits instead of looking for ages feeling like crap because either I couldnt find anything or what I did find looked awful.

Im not saying weight loss solves all your problems, but for me it has broken the cycle of feeling ill in pain, stuffing myself with food then feeling like crap again.

Nobody thought I was going to succeed but I have proved them and myself wrong. My doctor is very pleased because he told me he tells people they need to lose weight but not many people stick with it.

I think if you really want to do it you can, but you will need to find out what's holding you back.

Sorry this is an essay, come join us in the weight loss thread and good on you for wanting to get started 🙂

#8 tayto...

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:45 PM

Before you make any decisions about WLS I would see if you can get some advice from a HAES (health at every size) dietician and GP. The healthiest thing for you may be to pursue things that support YOUR health (that differs for everyone!) and be neutral about your weight. As you have said, there is no proven method that we have for medium to longer term weight loss and the most likely result will be to bounce back at a higher weight (and in many cases, with a big hit to your mental health). I really do sympathise and know how hard it is to be in this position.

#9 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:44 PM

I have lost 22kg in 6 months.  I am a new T2 and have followed a very low carb, low sugar diet since I found out.  I am very careful with what foods I eat together.  I am not exercising just incidental stuff.

#10 Caribou

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

I agree, in order for weight loss to be permanent and successful, regardless of WLS or loss over time naturally, you need to be in the right headspace.

My changes are based on changing what I eat long term. Whatever I do, needs to be sustainable long term. You need to understand how food and the body works.

IMO, you can follow any diet rule, low carb, keto, paleo, vegan, vegetarian whatever you want, but you still need to apply, what goes in, has to go somewhere. So basically calories/kilojoules. For example, I love pizza. But I haven’t stopped eating it regularly. However. I do account for it. I plan out my meals around it. For example, if it’s for dinner, I ensure lunch is light to compensate for it or if it’s a lunch, dinner is a light affair. There’s no point having pizza and then a meatball and spaghetti bolongaise. It’s too heavy in calories all up. Much like if you had diabetics, you need to watch and track what you’re eating and how to account for it.

I’d suggest checking out MyFitnessPal, I found the board really useful in understanding how to lose weight long term and sustainably. I use it to log what I eat and hold myself accountable for the food I eat.

If you do struggle with food, definitely engage In a weight loss therapist, a train psychologist. You can engage one using your mental health plan and get 7-10 free sessions from Medicare. It can really help. I’ve lost 10kilos in 6 months. I use a weight trending app because my weight goes up and down a lot, for various reasons like, ovulation, period, too much salt in meal, more strenuous than usual
Excerise, a 800ml bottle of water before bed.. etc, but with a trend up, it smooths it out and shows despite the peaks and trenches, my weight is actually going down. Sure, I only lose 1.5-2 kilos a month, but it’s going down! And that’s what makes it more sustainable for me.

Edited by Caribou, 20 June 2019 - 09:06 PM.

#11 lizzzard

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:11 PM

Odd-1-Out Thankyou for posting your story - your approach really resonated with me. I am not over weight but am trying to tackle a different long standing issue. I found your words very inspiring.

#12 Froyo

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:06 PM

I lost over 20 kg in  late 2014-early 2015 by movement and mindful moderate eating.
Pre weight loss I ate too much, both portion sizes and snacking. I didn't exercise.
I reset my eating habits, adding more fruit and veg and reducing junk food. I began walking most days.
I've stayed active, these days I do boxing which I really enjoy. Food wise I've stuck with smaller portions. There's no way I could eat the amount I used to.

#13 gracie1978

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:13 PM

I had surgery

So glad I did, PM me if you have any questions, down 40kg in 9 months, perfect blood work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.