Car Seat Advice

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas1987

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

I would like some advice on what you would do, I am aware that rear facing for as long as possible is the best practice, but on a practical level I am planning on Forward facing from 12 months onwards as long as they meet the markers

A- Capsule Birth - 12 Months and then 1yr - 8yr Harnessed Seat
B- Capsule Birth - 12 Months and then 0-4 Car Seat Forward Facing
C- 0-4 Car Seat From Birth and Forward Facing from 12 months onwards

#2 Mollyksy

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:47 PM

I did option c but rear faced until about 15 months as I picked the seat that could rear face the longest (highest markers and weight limit rear facing at the time). Only turned as the whinging became a dangerous distraction to my driving.

I doubt a capsule would take you all the way to 12 months. Or even 6 months (the legal minimum to FF). But I do realise that not everybody has enormous babies like I did so maybe people have!

#3 harryhoo

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:48 PM

Our capsule wouldn't have gone to 12 months for either child and i imagine it would have been very heavy carrying a 12 month old in one!
We did capsule to 8-9 months, RF in a 0-4 sest to 2ish then FF in it. When DD  was out of the capsule, DS then nearly 4 got a 6m-8yr harness seat. I personally would not have been comfortable having a 6m old in the bigger harnessed seat.

#4 Kattikat

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

I would go C, as you probably won't get 12 months out of a capsule, mine outgrew it around 8 moths from memory. The convertible car seats are way roomier than a capsule too (but come with newborn inserts for when they're tiny). It depends a bit on your pan and if you're getting one that fits your car capsule and if you'll be taking the capsule in and out of the car. I didn't, too lazy for all those straps.

#5 c.sanders

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:54 PM

I did capsule,  the infa secure carseat which are fabulous and now boosters.
Infa secure you can use for ages and recline really well both forward and rearward

Edited by c.sanders, 21 June 2019 - 07:56 PM.

#6 c.sanders

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:56 PM

I find most convertible car seats are just too upright and uncomfortable looking for newborn stage. Capsule is much more flatter.  It's totally worth the extra hundred or so for them to be comfortable those first few months.

Also I got to end up using the capsule for 3 babies and passed it on to a friend. So got a huge amount of use out of it

#7 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:58 PM

Option c.

There was no way my second born would have fitted in a capsule at 6 months,  let alone 12 months - he was sitting on the 90th percentile for height at 6 months.  Even so, he was 15 months old before he reached the turn markeds in our compaq.

My 5 year old still fits into our 0-4 seat, so you may be surprised at just how long the seat will last you.

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:00 PM

View Postc.sanders, on 21 June 2019 - 07:56 PM, said:

I find most convertible car seats are just too upright and uncomfortable looking for newborn stage. Capsule is much more flatter.  It's totally worth the extra hundred or so for them to be comfortable those first few months.

Also I got to end up using the capsule for 3 babies and passed it on to a friend. So got a huge amount of use out of it

Um, capsules actually hold a baby in a c shape - its why SIDS dont recomend them for extended periods of use outside a vehicle.

#9 EmmDasher

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:12 PM

We did C with both kids. Never had a capsule & didn’t miss it. I only know a handful of people that got to 9m (not beyond) with a capsule and they had teeny tiny babies. Most seem to get 6m max.

We had a basic 0-4 infa neon from BigW and it went to 12m with DD1 & 15m with DD2.

Rear facing is safer but it’s also more conducive for car naps in my experience because the seat reclines more. I wouldn’t be in a rush to forward face. There are extended rear facing seats available now and that as option D would be my personal pick.

Edited by EmmDasher, 21 June 2019 - 08:13 PM.

#10 Moo point

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:14 PM

0-4 car seat for sure. We had the SnS Compaq for DS, great recline (though adjustable) and even though he's tall he rearfaced for 3 years. This way you have flexibility; if your child is happy RF at 12 months then you could leave them that way as they are safer. I actually found he would sleep better on drives RF as his legs/feet were up/rested rather than hanging low. And he was too floppy still to be facing forward.

#11 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

My average sized 18mo is in a 0-4 seat. He is still way below the shoulder markets for turning forward facing, and it’s not at all a big deal having him rear face (as in I can’t see how it would be more practical to turn him FF). It’s not a seat known for extended rear facing, and the marker says “seat must be rear facing when shoulders below this height” (or something to that effect).

I used a capsule for the first few months for both kids, but even my small DD outgrew it before a year. So we did capsule, then 0-4 seat RF then FF, then a 0-8. With two kids and a bigger age gap it meant that DD moved to the 0-8 seat when DS was ready for the 0-4 seat. Each seat is being very well used!

#12 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

Do you have a pram that you'd use the capsule on? I'd chose the pram first as you'll be using it longer than the capsule. Do you have older kids that go to school or will you have future kids? It may not be useful to have a capsule unless there's lots of short trips. Capsules are either 0-6mo or 0-12mo although you may get more or less time depending on the seated torso height of your child. Also consider that some capsules may be too wide and too deep in rear facing mode to fit in your back seat.

Personally I'd go straight to an 0-4 seat and rear face as long as possible, then turn to forward facing.

Please do some research into the safety benefits of staying rear facing as long as possible.

#13 EmmDasher

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:33 PM

Revisiting because I think you’ll find option A difficult. If you have a kid that is big enough for a 1-8 FF seat at 12 months they’ll exceed the limits of a capsule well before 12m. DD2 (average size) was 18m before she was big enough to safely travel in a 1-8 seat.

#14 Future-self

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:18 PM

B or C

I loved our capsule and in particular found it great for number 2. Ours was rated for 9months - DS was super long and out of it by  6 months, DD was a shorty so stayed in until 9 months. I didn’t often take it out of the car and carry it by that point, it was just a seat in the car.
Like 22f’p said though, i could t have turned DD FF at 12 months even if I’d wanted to. She was below the turn Ff line.

So i’d get a O-4 seat but just keep in mind that although legal to have them FF it may not actually be possible. And every seat has a line that they have to be taller than to do so. It’s like my DS’s Maxiguard says that it goes from 6months - 8years. I kept trying DD in it out of interest and she wasn’t tall enough to use it until she was nearly  2.

#15 Lou-bags

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:34 PM

I’d actually contemplate a 0-8 seat if we went for a third. Otherwise option C.

Very glad we never bothered with a capsule as I had two big babies who were above the 97th centile in their first 6mo so would have outgrown a capsule quickly no doubt. Plus they would have been damn heavy and awkward to cart in and out and around in it.

DS1 was FF a little over 11mo as he’d surpassed the shoulder markers. In hindsight I should probably have gone and bought another seat. DS2 was about 14-15mo when he reached the markers.

Just wondering why you’re thinking FF would be more practical? I didn’t find RF inconvenient or impractical at all.

#16 c.sanders

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:42 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 21 June 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

Um, capsules actually hold a baby in a c shape - its why SIDS dont recomend them for extended periods of use outside a vehicle.

Um... I'm not saying to do that... Why would you assume that's what I meant? That's an unnecessarily over the top reaction to a legal and safe item that is designed for new babies.

#17 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:43 AM

View PostLou-bags, on 21 June 2019 - 10:34 PM, said:

I’d actually contemplate a 0-8 seat if we went for a third. Otherwise option C.

There's a few issues with 0-8 seats, actually they are 6 months to 8 as they cannot rear face at all.
My other 2 issues is do you really want to use a seat for 8 years? Will the fabric hold up ok, is it really that clean even after washing, has the plastic shell started to degrade early? Is the technology/ design the most up to date research wise? Just because they say it's safe to use a seat for 10 years after date of manufacturing doesn't mean it's totally safe.

#18 lotsofbots

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:14 AM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 21 June 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

Babies should be removed from ALL seats every 2 hours.  The angle of reverse facing seats and capsules are the same, be 45 degree.  

#19 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

We did option C. We tried a capsule for second child, but it was too heavy for me and he grew out of it quickly. And they overheat in the capsule seat too, which caused a lot of screaming car trips until I had worked out what was wrong.

0-4 gives you more options if you have a tall baby, you can read face for longer generally.

I forward faced at 12 months too, cause my second baby came along and I couldn’t rear face behind the drivers seat, there wasn’t room. Lucky DS1 was tallish, so just reached the markers of a 6 months to 8 years seat. I picked one that had a decent recline when forward facing so he was comfortable.

#20 Jamelex

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 22 June 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

There's a few issues with 0-8 seats, actually they are 6 months to 8 as they cannot rear face at all.
My other 2 issues is do you really want to use a seat for 8 years? Will the fabric hold up ok, is it really that clean even after washing, has the plastic shell started to degrade early? Is the technology/ design the most up to date research wise? Just because they say it's safe to use a seat for 10 years after date of manufacturing doesn't mean it's totally safe.

InfaSecure have seats that are birth to 8, the Granduer being one. Extended rear facing to an average 2 1/2yo then extended harnessing to either average or large (can’t remember which) 8yo, type A4/G.

#21 Lou-bags

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:00 AM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 22 June 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

I don’t know about this- many people use their car seats for subsequent children. My 2.5yo is in a car seat purchased in 2013 for his older brother. It’s in good shape (material and body/shell wise) regardless of years of being eaten in etc.
So yes, I have no problem with using a car seat for 8 years.

I get your point about new technology etc but I don’t upgrade my car just because new technology exists- it’s all a balance of convenience, affordability, safety and also wastage etc.

There are 0-8 year car seats on the market that rear face. Extended rear facing actually. They are a different thing to the 6mo to 8yr convertible seats.

Edited by Lou-bags, 22 June 2019 - 10:03 AM.

#22 Dallas1987

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the comments, I feel the capsule cocoons the baby better in the first few months compared to a 0-4  that is the main reason I am looking at purchasing one as opposed to a 0-4 car seat. I also feel there was a time when you  went straight from a capsule to a booster that used a seat belt as there was no other options and we were all fine. I understand there are options these days but my preference and intention is to ff from 12 months my main question is would you purchase the 6m -8years seat or a 0-4 seat. Getting value for money as well as using it for as long as possible is a priority for me

#23 Future-self

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:36 PM

View PostDallas1987, on 22 June 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

my preference and intention is to ff from 12 months my main question is would you purchase the 6m -8years seat or a 0-4 seat.
I would go 0-4. seat from birth to get the best use . Capsules don’t cacoon better - in fact some capsules don’t perform well in safety tests as all and are beaten significantly by some 0-4 seats.
Plus the 6month to 8 years seats means they fall into the category that allows for use from 6months however they don’t HAVE to fit a 6 month old. As I said upthread, my daughter didn’t fit into the harness of a Maxiguard until she was 2 .  Another poster said similar. So you may plan to go straight to that type of seat at 12 months but what if your child is too small? You would then have to go and get another seat.

#24 EmmDasher

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:37 PM

If you intend to start with a capsule then do that and worry about the next seat once you actually have your baby and can assess best fit & requirements. You don’t need to decide now so why would you.

We have 0-4 seats & 6m-8yrs seats and as I said upthread, my smaller child did not safely fit in the 6m-8yrs seat until around 18m. Going from capsule to a seat of that type can be practically quite difficult as the ages don’t necessarily marry up.

#25 Dallas1987

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:47 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 22 June 2019 - 06:37 PM, said:

If you intend to start with a capsule then do that and worry about the next seat once you actually have your baby and can assess best fit & requirements. You don’t need to decide now so why would you.

We have 0-4 seats & 6m-8yrs seats and as I said upthread, my smaller child did not safely fit in the 6m-8yrs seat until around 18m. Going from capsule to a seat of that type can be practically quite difficult as the ages don’t necessarily marry up.

For me I have a need ect to be organized and plan everything and have a schedule so it is important to work out what way to go now not 12 months down the track

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.