Car Seat Advice

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#51 WallyWoo

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:32 PM

I’m not sure why you’re even asking the question if you have done your “research” and you’re confident in your decisions.

Anyway, I have three kids. They all went into a 0-4 seat (compaq) using the infant inserts and I took out the inserts as they grew and turned them to ff once they reached the markers. They then went into a maxi guard not long after their 4th birthday. I bought the maxi guards after getting them to sit in all the seats in the store and making sure they would fit in our car properly. It’s been relatively inexpensive as all three have used the 0-4 seat and my eldest will be big enough to sit in an adult seat by the time my third is out of the Compaq, so really I will only be buying 3 seats for 3 kids.

#52 Future-self

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:45 PM

A capsule is a fine choice to start with - as I said upthread I loved mine! But Dallas1987 I don’t think you’ve understood the point many have made about a 12 month old actually not being able to go into a 6m-8years seat as they’ll just be too short.

When you go to buy one, make sure you go to a baby shop that lets you try them out. And take your baby with you. Unless they reach the line that says they can use it, it will be illegal and unsafe just FYI

Edited by Future-self, 24 June 2019 - 09:47 PM.

#53 Dallas1987

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:12 PM

I have been into a couple of baby shops and have been told that the entry markers in a 6m - 8 years seat is lower then in a 0-4 seat

#54 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:29 PM

View PostDallas1987, on 24 June 2019 - 11:12 PM, said:

I have been into a couple of baby shops and have been told that the entry markers in a 6m - 8 years seat is lower then in a 0-4 seat

0-4 seats exit at 29cm, 34cm, 39cm max RF height (depends on the seat) and 42/43cm max FF height

6m-8y seats have an entry of 29cm

Still much safer to RF as long as possible

#55 EmmDasher

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:58 AM

Dallas I know you’re in here kind of defending your position and boundaries but I’d be really interested to better understand your thinking around the decision/determination to FF at 12 months. I’m not interested to tell you your wrong or to change your mind. It would satisfy my curiosity.

People sometimes do FF at 12m or earlier but in my personal experience, it seems to be on the decline. I guess I’m just curious to know what your thinking is as it’s a point of view that I haven’t come across much.

#56 seayork2002

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:02 AM

View PostEmmDasher, on 25 June 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

Dallas I know you’re in here kind of defending your position and boundaries but I’d be really interested to better understand your thinking around the decision/determination to FF at 12 months. I’m not interested to tell you your wrong or to change your mind. It would satisfy my curiosity.

People sometimes do FF at 12m or earlier but in my personal experience, it seems to be on the decline. I guess I’m just curious to know what your thinking is as it’s a point of view that I haven’t come across much.

I was going to suggest the Red Castle car seat if stocked in Australia not sure how it got onto FF, but I FF from birth, can't give an answer to say why I just chose too.  DS was born in 2007

SORRY - I thought FF meant FORMULA FEEDING

yes as it turns out the car seat I mentioned was was forward facing I thought the thread moved on to formula - I still did not know it was illegal

Edited by seayork2002, 25 June 2019 - 11:47 AM.

#57 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:08 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 25 June 2019 - 11:02 AM, said:

I was going to suggest the Red Castle car seat if stocked in Australia not sure how it got onto FF, but I FF from birth, can't give an answer to say why I just chose too.  DS was born in 2007

Illegal. Then and now in Australia.

#58 EmmDasher

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:09 AM

I’m trying to think of a way to say this nicely Seayork but I don’t think what you did 12 years ago in another country is helpful or relevant to present day Australia.

#59 seayork2002

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:31 AM

View PostBethlehem Babe, on 25 June 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

Illegal. Then and now in Australia.

Sorry I did not realise they were illegal

#60 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:34 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 25 June 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

Forward facing from birth is illegal in Australia. Was also illegal in the uk from 2006 http://news.bbc.co.u...ews/4781511.stm
Seats must also comply with Australian standards which tends to also to rule out overseas seats.

Edited by Bethlehem Babe, 25 June 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#61 HolierThanCow

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:37 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 25 June 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

My first daughter was born the same year and it was common practice to turn forward facing from 6months then, so you had probably seen a lot of small babies travelling that way. I think the rules in 2007 were rear facing until minimum 6 months, but there may have been a weight caveat... 9 kilos comes to mind(?)

Anyway, the rules (and seats) have changed several times since 2007.

#62 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostDallas1987, on 24 June 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

Thank you as stated I have done research and I feel comfortable with my decision to forward face from 12 months onwards, I don’t have any intention of purchasing the seat now but will put a seat  on layby once the baby turns 9months
What research have you done? I'm baffled by your replies to be honest.

#63 cvbn

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

I do understand OP. When you have a baby you get a lot of advice.

I was the youngest of 5 daughters, they had all had children before me, you can imagine the advice I got.

Advice is like everything in life, you can pick and choose what you want to do. (Within reason)

Just don't cut off your nose to spite your face. You don't even need to answer anyone here if you don't like what they say but have a think about things.

Good luck with your baby, very exciting!

Edited by cvbn, 25 June 2019 - 11:51 AM.

#64 Future-self

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:10 PM

View PostDallas1987, on 24 June 2019 - 11:12 PM, said:

Some 6-8years sets have a lower entry marker to start using than a 0-4 years seat do to turn forward facing, true. But a)not by much and b)!NEITHER seat type  has  low enough markers for a 12 month old to be FF in them.

29cm is the entry marker for the Maxiguard - the most well known 6m-8yrs seat. 29cm seated torso height. That is no 12 month old that i’ve ever met. It’s pretty darn high. My dd didn’t hit that until after she turned 2 closer to 2.5. . Same as other posters.

Seriously Dallas, you have decided in your own head that you want to forward face at 12 months. An arbitrary number that you’ve pulled out of thin air. We - and all the specs in the seats in this country - are telling you that isn’t physically possible. The O-4 seats or even the 6m- 8 years seats these days simply  do not allow it until your child is bigger and older. Times have changed, safety standards have changed and seat design has changed alongside.

Edited by Future-self, 25 June 2019 - 08:13 PM.

#65 Contrebasse

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:32 PM

You will get best value for money with a 0-4 seat - it should last until your kid is about 5. Then you can worry about a booster or 0-8 seat later

#66 panda eyes

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:53 PM

I'm another that thinks a capsule would be lucky to last you 6 months, let alone 12.

That said, I really don't think it's wise to make such firm plans this early about a baby you don't even have yet.

My 3rd baby has just turned 1, and when my oldest was born my carseat went by weight, not height marker so I've been through a few seats by now. I do appreciate that rear facing is safer, although I wouldn't bat an eye at anyone who chose to forward face at 12 months if their baby was big enough. That said, you just don't know what baby you're going to get in advance, so it's just not possible to make informed decisions this early on.

My 12 month old has a growth disorder and so is huge. He's quite literally the size of an average 2 year old. He's still about 2cm short of the minimum turn marker in our current 0-4 seat but even if he was tall enough I couldn't turn him safely. His muscle strength is sh*thouse and there's no way he could safely hold himself up while forward facing for a medium to long car trip. Even though he's a really really big kid it just wouldn't be possible for him to forward face yet.

Some kids are big, some are small. Some have disabilities. If you're trying to be cost effective then an expensive capsule followed by a 6m-8years seat is actually a really expensive proposition because realistic it probably won't work out - even if your kid is perfectly average. Especially if they're perfectly average, because a 6m-8y seat just isn't designed to fit a baby that's just outgrown a capsule.

#67 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:21 PM

Have you looked at this seat OP? It looks like it would be the best value as you could use only one seat. It does however have very high markers to turn - must be rear-facing to 34cm. It suggests you can rear face to 3yo, then FF to 8yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.