Do you pay school voluntary contribution fees?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 daybreaker

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:12 PM

Just wondering what other families do about voluntary contribution fees for public schools? Our public school's are about $160 per invoice (twice a year) and I always pay them but wonder if all families do, at our school it is expected and they really could use the money.

On the other hand, my other kids' private school building fund fees are around $200 twice a year but I never pay them as I believe I pay enough in school fees and am actually opposed to the exorbitant spending the school makes on building works.

#2 JomoMum

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:19 PM

We would if we were asked to.

DS is FYOS and admittedly had only been at his school since 3/4 way through term 1, but we are yet to see anything about a fee contribution.

The school (and general catchment area) is undergoing massive growth and they’re struggling to keep up.

There is also no voluntary or mandatory P&C contribution that I’m aware of, which I would happily support over all the rubbish fundraisers they have through the year. Sorry that’s a bit OT though.

#3 Octopodes

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:20 PM

Yes, but it's only about $50 per year per child (with a discount for more than 2 children at the school).

#4 ineedmorecoffee

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:20 PM

Yes we pay our public school voluntary fees, it’s the least we can do.

#5 Burro

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:21 PM

Yes, always pay the voluntary contribution at my kids school. One year we paid double. Can’t remember if we did this year. Possibly not.

The school is in a wealthy area and a large chunk of parents don’t pay. I forget. Could be 30-40%.

#6 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:22 PM

Yes we do.

#7 Meepy

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

Dd's primary school asks for $10 for library, $10 for building and $30 for school nurse voluntary fees. My school doesn't ask for any as only half the families pay the compulsory fees.  Ds high school doesn't ask for any but probably should as the chairs they use are those plastic outdoor ones that are not good for all day use. I'd be happy to pay more but also believe the federal govt should fund public schools for basic needs rather than giving private schools more money.

efs

Edited by Meepy, 21 June 2019 - 08:34 PM.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:25 PM

I do, and the payment rates at my children’s schools are over 90%, possibly over 95%. The schools need as much as they can get. We don’t have any compulsory fees.

I also pay the voluntary P&C contribution, which is $35 per child to a max of $70 per family, but when I had 3 children there, I still paid the $35/child. This goes nowhere near covering the full cost of what the P&C funds each year, so we still contribute to fund-raising. I prefer to contribute to the fund-raising that goes to the building fund because those ones are tax deductible.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 21 June 2019 - 08:26 PM.

#9 Summer81

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:26 PM

Absolutely yes.

#10 MGB

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

We do. It’s $100 for 1 child or $150 for 2 or more per year. Absolute bargain compared to daycare fees!

#11 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

I could afford to so always paid the voluntary fee.

#12 Jenflea

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:29 PM

Yes because public schools aren't funded nearly enough and it's for the benefit of my child.

It's also only $60 a year and there aren't any other fees apart from camp and the chromebook purchase in yr 3 etc.

#13 Literary Lemur

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

Ours is about $400 per child / $700 per family. Yes I pay because our school has reduced income due to being in a higher socio economic area.

#14 Mamabug

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:34 PM

I do when I can. In good years I also give a "help pack" of coloured paper, extra craft items, tissues,etc, twice a year.

I know many teachers who put in so much more. When I can help, I do.

We have free education system, but educating with resources is so much more effective.

#15 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:45 PM

We do, it's around $120. Actually we would rather pay another $80-100 and not have fundraising shoved at us as well. By all means, do fundraising like Bunnings sausage sizzle or similar, because at least that's money coming from the wider community and not just the parent's pockets.

#16 Pink Flamingo

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:49 PM

Yes. Ours is about $130 per year.

#17 kimasa

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:49 PM

$120 once per year.

I do, because I'm privileged enough to be able to afford that, so I see it as my responsibility to.

#18 Ayr

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:10 PM

If I can I do. I usually do but there was a period I was out of work so didn't and explained my situation. We paid the rest of the course fees etc that year. Would do the same again if funds were tight.

#19 notsoretro

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:11 PM

Always. There was one year when we were really struggling as we had bought a house without selling the old one so had 2 mortgages. I had to ask for help with swimming lessons for one kid and an excursion for another. When the house sold in third term I paid in full for all 3.

#20 Orangecake

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

Yes we do,, as we are in a position to. It's a little over $100 per child.

#21 WTFJerk

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:15 PM

Yes.  My kids were at different primary school, one with higher contributions than the other.  I paid the higher amount for both.

#22 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:23 PM

It’s like one of those things I’m happy to pay for public education because we can afford it but if people can’t afford it then they shouldn’t have to feel guilty. I totally get it if people can’t pay. I’d actually rather pay extra into some fund everyone can dip into if they need it.

I don’t actually know what building fees are but if we had to pay private school fees, like you, I probably wouldn’t want to pay extra either, I’d rather just have it included as part of the school fees I had to pay them some weird extra thing.

#23 seayork2002

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

Yes, it is a bill like any other to me

#24 WaitForMe

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:35 PM

Yes, well mostly.

Ours has suggestions of amounts based on household income. Last year, prep, I paid the amount asked for our household income.

This year however we were really strapped for cash. So I paid the lower amount, except I bumped it up to a round amount.

The school contacted me and asked to clarify what the money was to cover... I can't figure out if they were questioning why the big drop compared to last year, or if the rounding of the figure threw them.

All up I paid $500 in total for both compulsory and voluntary fees this year, so thats the minimum asked of a family.

#25 Freddie'sMum

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:47 PM

Yes.  Coming from a so-called lower fee Catholic primary school, it's the least we can do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.