7yo boy needing ideas for activities

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 marple

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

Hi.
As above my 7yo is not the sporty type , unlike his older brothers so I am after ideas for activities that he might enjoy.
Not scouts and not team sports ( we have tried but he hangs back as he is hesitant and worried about hurting other kids  - a very gentle soul)

He needs something for physical exercise ( is a bit overweight) and social benefits ( as his siblings are a lot older). He is very smart and gets on well with almost anyone.

Any ideas?
Thanks

#2 Elizabethandfriend

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:12 PM

What about martial arts?

Or a clinic style soccer program?  I can recommend a very supportive one in Melbourne.

#3 tenar

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

Circus?

My girls go to a circus class and they love it.  It has a lot of overlap with gymnastics without the sense of "girliness" that gym can have.   Plenty of boys in the classes too.

#4 Sincerely

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

I recommend martial arts too. Suggest starting with kata (exercises with prearranged moves) classes and delay fighting. In karate, DS really enjoyed kata and did as little kumite as possible. The exercises helped develop amazing strength, balance & coordination which have served him very well in other competitive sports.

#5 BornToLove

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:21 PM

DD is also not sporty and does gymnastics. Her gym has groups just for boys and seem to focus more on strength and discipline. They do heaps of group games but also individual work.

#6 José

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:21 PM

physical exercise but no team sports..

martial arts
little athletics
horse riding

i like the pps idea of circus too.

#7 RynandStompy

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:22 PM

View Posttenar, on 22 June 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

Circus?

My girls go to a circus class and they love it.  It has a lot of overlap with gymnastics without the sense of "girliness" that gym can have.   Plenty of boys in the classes too.
I was going to suggest circus too. We've started going for DD who likes that they're kind of gymnastics but no angst re training/certificates/exams. Just fun

#8 Dianalynch

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:22 PM

Individual sports like tennis, golf, fencing (although he may not enjoy lunging at others!), climbing centres, bushwalking - sports like tennis and fencing are very sociable.

#9 gettin my fance on

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

Little Athletics.

Lots of emphasis on individual improvement and personal bests rather than who wins the event.

Also a variety of activities - not just running.

#10 hoohoobump

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

Rock climbing?
Orienteering?
Local Park Run?

I was also going to recommend martial arts

#11 marple

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

I just typed a long response and it is gonskied!

#12 marple

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:44 PM

So thanks everyone . I think martial arts is a good idea - one of my older boys enjoyed taekwondo  - is that the one people would recommend.
Circus sounds great but I have no idea where to start ( am in Sydney).
I don't think little athletics would suit , except maybe discus I reckon he could do that.

I think he would love horse riding but it is soooo expensive.

Orienteering sounds up his alley but I think they are only on once a month or so around here, I will look into it.

Tennis is a great suggestion. Ta

I will look into all of these.

#13 Ivy Ivy

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:01 PM

Diving? My 9 y o has just started this and loves it.  Lots of walking up the stairs to the springboards (of differing heights) then jumping/diving off.  I can't see the attraction myself but the kids seem to have great fun, and it's certainly aerobic and good for weight control - they never stop moving - swimming and climbing - for the 1-2 hour lesson.

#14 ipsee

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:56 PM

Basketball is a fairly low key team sport. You can spend a lot of time practising shooting hoops outside the training too.

#15 Abcde-La-A

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:18 PM

Dance? My son didn’t enjoy organised sport but loves his hip hop class.

#16 marple

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

Thanks again. Diving is a no go as he is not a great swimmer. Basketball - well he is tall enough but again I think he will be put off by the pushing and shoving( I've had other children  play this and I think its great) . Will keep it in mind though.

We have a dance studio just up the road . I can't believe I didn't think of that!  

Ta all

#17 ipsee

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:48 PM

Basketball may be different in the lower/beginner divisions.

My son is tall and gangly, and when he bumps into another player he steps back and apologises :)

Training is mostly practicing hoops and dribbling up and down with either hand etc.

There has been the occasional really forceful kid in the actual games though.

#18 Pooks Combusted

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

DS is very unco. Swimming has been a good activity for him this year and I’m hoping he’ll keep on with it, it’s fabulous for fitness. We are also trialling piano lessons, I think music would be amazing for emotional expression and making different social connections with other perhaps less sporty kids in future. For social, what about Scouts? I keep waiting for DS to have the after school stamina for it.

#19 Mands09

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:23 PM

Rock climbing or swimming

#20 Sincerely

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:37 PM

View Postmarple, on 22 June 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

So thanks everyone . I think martial arts is a good idea - one of my older boys enjoyed taekwondo  - is that the one people would recommend.
Circus sounds great but I have no idea where to start ( am in Sydney).

My kids did karate & loved it but a friend & five of her children do Taekwondo together which I think is awesome.

#21 laridae

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:37 PM

Iceskating? Your local rink will probably have an Aussie skate program.

My daughters started doing it this term. She's done dance and gymnastics as well but likes ice skating better.

#22 Contrebasse

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:42 PM

If he quite likes singing then maybe musical theatre? It’s a mix of dance, drama and singing, and often has more boys than something like ballet.

#23 BeAwesome

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

My non-sporty daughter does taekwondo and loves it.  There also seem to be more boys coming through her musical theatre class too.

If he's got some strength, he could be a great base for cheerleading, there's getting to be more co-ed clubs around.

#24 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

Trampolines at Bounce?  If you go at 9am when it’s quiet my kids love it. it’s all age all abilities. the staff are very nice and encouraging

#25 skicat

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

Drama? Great for confidence, socializing with a new bunch of kids. Was fantastic for my non- sporty daughter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.