Food waste in the council green bin

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 WaitForMe

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

So our council is about to start allowing food compost materials to go into the green bin for composting.

I'm over the moon because I suck at composting. So many failures...

Only problem is they are really light on detail. Seems I need to go into the council office to get a pamphlet and kitchen caddy. I work so thats easier said than done.

I'm interested in how this works for other councils. I have one family member in SA that has it, she has to use special compostable bags. I'm guessing thats the same everywhere but interested if anyone is in a council area that allows you to just pour it directly into the green bin. How bad is the smell?

Also just a general question of what works for you with the kitchen caddy. I have two little kids who are just getting good at putting their scraps in the landfill bin. They wont be able to reach a benchtop caddy. Trying to figure out what I can put in place for them...

#2 nom_de_plume

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:19 AM

You'll need to clarify with your council. We can put any food scraps (including meat and bones) in ours. Does not need to be wrapped. Can also put newspaper and paper products. We are not allowed to put any sort of plastic in it, including the so called 'biodegradable' plastic.

Smell isn't an issue. I usually chuck some newspaper in the bottom and then hose it out every now and then.

As for the kids, I guess you can either put it lower for them or use a step. We have a step in the kitchen from Ikea.

#3 Ozquoll

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

I’m a fervent composter, so when my council’s scheme comes in later this year I’m just gunna keep on doing what I’m already doing. Even though I think it’s fantastic that people will be able to put food waste in the green bins, I foresee some stink problems as they are only collected fortnightly 🤢.

#4 FeralZombieMum

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

Our kitchen caddy and compostable green caddy liner bags were delivered when they delivered the green organic bin, it would have been a pain to have to go collect it!

This is information from my local council.
https://www.bendigo....r-organic-waste

#5 JomoMum

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

View PostOzquoll, on 23 June 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

Even though I think it’s fantastic that people will be able to put food waste in the green bins, I foresee some stink problems as they are only collected fortnightly .

Indeed. Meat and bones? Yucky.

Though this may see a change in the cycle? These could be collected weekly, and then uncompostible/unrecyclable rubbish done fortnightly.

We compost also. And have a worm farm - my son sells the excess worm “wee”  to neighbours for pocket money lol.

#6 Mrs Claus

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:00 AM

View PostJomoMum, on 23 June 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

Indeed. Meat and bones? Yucky.

Though this may see a change in the cycle? These could be collected weekly, and then uncompostible/unrecyclable rubbish done fortnightly.

We compost also. And have a worm farm - my son sells the excess worm “wee”  to neighbours for pocket money lol.

Our green waste bin is weekly with the other two rotated fortnightly. Only smell issues we’ve had is week old nappies

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:12 AM

I have a fortnightly green collection and it only smells when you open the lid really. The bag isn’t crucial - it doesn’t have to be wrapped. Sometimes I just pour it in. The bench top caddy needs a compostable liner as it has holes in it but if you used a lidded bucket for example you could just pour it into the bin.

Hopefully your council has a ‘which bin’ resource on their website so you know what can go in. I know I was surprised by what types of things can go in ours.

#8 nom_de_plume

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:18 PM

View PostMrs Claus, on 23 June 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

Our green waste bin is weekly with the other two rotated fortnightly. Only smell issues we’ve had is week old nappies

This is the same with our council.

#9 WaitForMe

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:53 PM

Yeah after the smell of a bin full of nappies I'm really not too concerned about it.

We don't always put our bin out every week now anyway. It will be interesting how long we can go now it wont have food in it.

We tried a worm farm, they were very picky, stuff ended up going mouldy in there. Then one hot summer they all died. Maybe one day we'll try again, it was definitely the least scary.

Bokashi was next, that was a dismal failure. Our ground is really hard, I have no interest in digging a hole every month. Then also a summer issue, the kids kept leaving the lid open and it became infested with maggots. It was incredibly disturbing, I shut the lid tight and just left it in the garage for a few months for them to die. When I opened it again, they were the most massive (and thankfully dead) maggots I've ever seen.

Then there was the more traditional compost heap. Despite a lack in meat and dairy going in, it still attracted rats and they were massive and scary.

So yeah, I am immensely happy to palm off composting to the council!

#10 SplashingRainbows

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:02 PM

Our council started a year ago and I love it. Anything except oyster shells can go in pretty much.

They gave us all a bench top Bin and we can get their green bio degradable bags free at the council or any of the council libraries. That is a good solution for people working weekdays to pick one up on the weekend. Also the local libraries are much closer for most than the council office.

We use the green bags but you don’t have to.

It gets collected weekly.

Recycling and normal waste rotate so each one is collected fortnightly.

No stink issues.

Last weekend all residents were able to get a free trailer load of compost from the council if they wanted which was pretty awesome if you’re that way inclined. If I had a trailer it would have been great for my garden.

The compost is mostly being used across council garden and sporting facilities.

#11 Bearynice

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:18 PM

Our council delivered bench top bin and green bags.
We pop small bin next to our recycling bin so kids can reach

Ours goes fortnightly. It is a bit stinky in summer.

We got given a guide with ours when small bin delivered

#12 *Andi*

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:53 PM

View PostFeralZombieMum, on 23 June 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

Our kitchen caddy and compostable green caddy liner bags were delivered when they delivered the green organic bin, it would have been a pain to have to go collect it!

This is information from my local council.
https://www.bendigo....r-organic-waste

We're in the same council area, was very handy having the caddy and bags delivered! We went through the first roll of bags before the next lot was due (yearly). I went on the website and requested another roll and they delivered it to our door for free. We got a comprehensive booklet too. I hadn't seen that link though, so thanks for that!

I'm a big fan and put as much in there as possible. Some things could go in either the organics or recycling bin, such as pizza boxes and raw cardboard. I'd rather it get mulched up for compost than be sitting not being recycled.

It might smell slightly when you open the lid, but as above not as bad as nappies in the normal bin. I always use the bags, not game to put food waste in loose. We only put one bag in the red bin weekly now.

#13 CookieCutter

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:43 PM

When we lived in an area with the green bins we used to use the local newspaper to wrap all food scraps up. A recycling double whammy!

Since moving to an area with no green bin, I bought a very expensive worm farm and set up a $20 composting system for any overflow scraps.  Needless to say, the worms moved out of the expensive set up into the $20 set up. The cheapy set up is one of those white 20 litre bins with a lid from Bunnings, drilled with lots of holes all over - top, bottom and sides.  A brick on top stops any unwanted visitors. Makes beautiful compost and doesn’t smell. The Labrador doesn’t even try to snuffle in to it.  

Anyway, point is newspaper is good for the wrapping up, and composting can be compact and non smelly.

#14 Ozquoll

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:16 PM

I use a large plastic composting bin like this one https://products.tum...00l-compost-bin for all my food scraps. We placed it on a double layer of square paving stones, which stops vermin digging in and keeps out the tree roots too. The worms can get in and out if they feel like it though. We drilled holes in the sides - a hundred or more - to increase airflow into the bin. When I add food scraps I also add plenty of straw, and mix things up a bit with one of these: https://www.bunnings...e-tool_p3363916 . I will compost ANYTHING - meat, dairy, grease, dead rats and possums, citrus peels, etc. No smells as I add lots of straw. About once a year I knock the whole thing over and rake  it into an open pile to age a bit more.

#15 maryanneK

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:15 PM

Our council has these and I absolutely LOVE it. Absolutely everything goes in ours - meat scraps, left over pasta, mouldy bread, dairy, cereal, paper towel and tissues...plus obviously fruit and vegetables.

I've also tried in the past to compost without success. I love that you can just throw anything in and not worry about whether there's too much onion or citrus for the worms, or whatever.

We have a benchtop caddy that the council dropped off to us. We put bit of paper towel in the bottom of ours to stop wet stuff sticking to the bottom (leftover kids weetbix is the worst - but another example of the everyday sort of waste that is so good to be able to put in there) but other than that dont use bags or liners.

Its reduced our waste by so much, and it all goes to compost for council parks. its so great.

#16 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:32 PM

Love ours. It’s just over a year old. Caddy and liners were delivered with the green bin. Just pop online for a new set of liners to be delivered. Ours also allows for newspaper to be used in the caddy or no lining.

We sit the caddy on our general waste bin. It means that you have to move it but it also means that you need to think “can I just put this in the caddy”

Ours takes all food scraps, cardboard and paper with food on it and garden waste except for thick branches and wood. Collected weekly. I’ve noticed it doesn’t smell too much but we put it out every week even if it’s not got much in it.

We have also noticed the normal bin smells less.

#17 zenkitty

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:35 PM

Our council does this and I love it! We are in an apartment block of 11 so no scope for a compost bin like I used to have. Lots of people use ours (collected fortnightly) and smell isn’t an issue. Those with gardens put clippings, leaves, etc in too which helps.

We collected a caddy from the council but any small bin/bucket would do. Could you put a second small “food scrap” bin next to the existing one for the kids?

We can’t put any plastic in (even the compostable liners) so I line our bucket with newspaper and rinse if messy. I also put it through the dishwasher once in a while.

We have very clear instructions on the council website, they also posted out a pamphlet again just the other week. I love that tissues and paper towels can go in.

#18 WaitForMe

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:35 PM

Its started now, so they have a bit more detail.

I gave up on getting a free kitchen caddy. They ran out and I work anyway, so I just bought one from Bunnings.

I have it under the sink for now but need to think longer term. Our landfill and recycling bin is awesome. Its in a draw with an electric bump opener so I don't have to touch it with dirty hands or hands I want to keep clean. Now I have to open a cupboard then open a lid... ruins my hygienic bliss.

The other question I had was bags. They specifically say no bags. I guess they've decided theres just too much confusion around which compostable bags are actually compostable. So yeah, we just line the bottom with paper and thats it.

Now we just need to get in the habit of actually putting the green bin out!

#19 Chazonator

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:24 AM

We've just had roll out in our council you get the caddy along with the green bags and pamphlets about what you can and cannot put in it.
It seems simple enough except trying to break the habit of putting the scraps into the normal bin and putting them into the caddy instead!

#20 WaitForMe

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

We've been doing it a couple months now and its going well.

I still need a longer term solution for the caddy, its not as practical needing to open a door, then open the caddy, then bend down over a tiny thing to scrape things in. 7yo wants something better too. There will be little scraps that end up in landfill because it doesn't seem worth the effort.

This time of year, when we start to weed and mow the lawn and just generally do gardening, we have to remember to leave some room for food scraps.

Our landfill bin is getting emptier and emptier. Its a bit under half full now, I think its an 80L bin. Probably alot of soft plastics in there, I'm not convinced its worth the effort collecting and going somewhere to recycle them, only for them to either be stockpiled or end up in landfill anyway.

I need to focus on reducing packaging. Recycle bin is way too full. But I have no idea how I can do anything about that with the little free time I have. Maybe when my youngest is in school, assuming I continue to work 4 days a week.

#21 wannabe30

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:17 AM

View PostWaitForMe, on 23 September 2019 - 08:40 AM, said:

We've been doing it a couple months now and its going well.

I still need a longer term solution for the caddy, its not as practical needing to open a door, then open the caddy, then bend down over a tiny thing to scrape things in. 7yo wants something better too. There will be little scraps that end up in landfill because it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Could you put the caddy in the slot where landfill waste would normally go, and put a small bin/bucket in the cupboard for landfill? That way it’s easy to pop food scraps in the caddy, but sending items to landfill takes more work (and should hopefully be happening less frequently anyway).

#22 decisionsdecisions

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

Wow there are some generous councils out there....home delivering compostable bags for free!?!?!

I've been using a scrap caddy for years & our council insists that we use the compostable bags that they sell....$6 for 50 bags.  They do random bin inspections and will refuse to take green bins if the incorrect compostable bags have been used. So every 6 weeks it is a trip to the council office to buy more bags.

I've been happy to do it but feeling hard done by now!!

As for the smell, given our green bins are only collected fortnightly, the only thing I wouldn't put in there are chicken or fish bones during summer if the bin has more than a few days before it is to be picked up.

EFS

Edited by decisionsdecisions, 23 September 2019 - 10:40 AM.

#23 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:56 PM

View Postwannabe30, on 23 September 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

Could you put the caddy in the slot where landfill waste would normally go, and put a small bin/bucket in the cupboard for landfill? That way it’s easy to pop food scraps in the caddy, but sending items to landfill takes more work (and should hopefully be happening less frequently anyway).

I've made it so that our general rubbish bin is a wire one with no bag or lining in it - this means I have to be very careful about what I put in there, nothing gross! Helps me make sure I put all food scraps in our compost bin.

#24 SeaPrincess

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:08 AM

View PostFeralZombieMum, on 23 June 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

Same. We can pick up new bags from the council or any of the libraries. I noticed at the weekend that the dog bags at the park are the green compostable bags now too.

#25 SeaPrincess

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:23 PM

View Postdecisionsdecisions, on 23 September 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

Wow there are some generous councils out there....home delivering compostable bags for free!?!?!
I think we pay for it in our rates, which were almost $3K this year. But that’s another topic....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.