Car Seats my minds boggling

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ausfarmerswife

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:43 AM

Just found out no2 is on the way. Started to think of car seats, DD is 4, I have a dual cab land cruiser Ute so can comfortably fit 2.

I’m wondering do I get 2 of the same birth to 8 years for baby and DD or do I get a birth to 4yrs for the baby a 6month to 8year for DD.

My minds blown at the options

Dd is currently in a 0-4yr comfortably but I don’t know if I want to use the same seat for new baby DD was getting a new seat anyway and I feel safety standards have probably improved in 4years.

I have the money to be able to afford 2 x new if necessary.

#2 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

Congratulations!!!

If she’s forward facing and money is no issue, I’d get your dd a maxi guard pro and that will do her until she grows out of it. I love ours. It’s so comfortable and my kid loves it.

I’d reuse the same 0-4 seat or upgrade to a extended rear facing if it isn’t. It might also be worth considering a capsule hire if baby is due around when you dd will be starting preschool or school (state dependent) for those drop offs and pick ups.

Edited by Bethlehem Babe, 24 June 2019 - 07:55 AM.

#3 JomoMum

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

View Postausfarmerswife, on 24 June 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

I feel safety standards have probably improved in 4 years

This is why we only buy seats aimed at 4 years of use, so that would put a 6month-8year seat out of the running.

Edited by JomoMum, 24 June 2019 - 08:00 AM.

#4 ausfarmerswife

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:03 AM

View PostBethlehem Babe, on 24 June 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

Congratulations!!!

If she’s forward facing and money is no issue, I’d get your dd a maxi guard pro and that will do her until she grows out of it. I love ours. It’s so comfortable and my kid loves it.

I’d reuse the same 0-4 seat or upgrade to a extended rear facing if it isn’t. It might also be worth considering a capsule hire if baby is due around when you dd will be starting preschool or school (state dependent) for those drop offs and pick ups.

Thank you I’ll have a look at that seat! Capsule hire isn’t available where I live but I have no issues in purchasing one, baby is due feb.

#5 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:33 AM

I had a 3.5 year age gap. I already had a capsule so many DS went in there, and when he outgrew that DD got a new seat to last her to 8+ and DS got her 0-4 seat.

#6 c.sanders

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

I really don't think safety has changed much. However if you think that something is wrong with your seat then I would have another look. Is it possible it just needs to covers taken off and have a good clean?  Covers come off pretty easy.  Regardless it's time to get a new car seat for your 4yo quite possibly.

#7 EmmDasher

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

We have the Maxiguard Pro & it’s a great seat. I personally would pass down the other seat. I’d have bub 2 use that until they could graduate to a Maxiguard Pro (or similar) also.

If school is starting next year, think about the school and what pick up/drop offs will look like. Our school is not really conducive to capsules alone because the prep classrooms are quite a long walk from parking. The direct routes are stairs,stairs, stairs so if you have a pram you have to take this circuitous route. Most parents with infants use carriers and wear the baby. That would undoubtedly vary from school to school though.

Edited by EmmDasher, 24 June 2019 - 09:34 AM.

#8 Hands Up

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

I’d get a maxi guard pro or similar for your elder child and reuse the 0-4 year unless it’s been damaged. That’s what we did anyway.

#9 AdelTwins

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:41 AM

I love my SNS Maxi Guard. DS1 & 2 are 7yo and will be in those seats until approximately 9yo before they reach 145cm tall (97th percentile).

They can do up their own 5pt harness, even though we have 3 seats across. They are happy to sit in the seats and know they have to reach the height requirements before I’ll let them get out of the seats.

ETA DS3 uses my 8 year old 0-4yrs seat and a 4 year old 6m-8yrs seat. They haven’t ever been in an accident and still work perfectly well. He’ll have the 2 maxi guards when the older boys move out of them.

Edited by AdelTwins, 24 June 2019 - 09:44 AM.

#10 ausfarmerswife

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:58 AM

View Postc.sanders, on 24 June 2019 - 09:25 AM, said:

I really don't think safety has changed much. However if you think that something is wrong with your seat then I would have another look. Is it possible it just needs to covers taken off and have a good clean?  Covers come off pretty easy.  Regardless it's time to get a new car seat for your 4yo quite possibly.

Yeah DD is getting a new seat regardless I’m just unsure about the baby. Her current seat the buckle has started to come undone despite me double and triple checking it when I do her up. I’ve cleaned it out etc too.

#11 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:04 PM

View Postausfarmerswife, on 24 June 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

Yeah DD is getting a new seat regardless I’m just unsure about the baby. Her current seat the buckle has started to come undone despite me double and triple checking it when I do her up. I’ve cleaned it out etc too.
You need to contact the manufacturer asap then. They can provide a new one.

#12 ausfarmerswife

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:53 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 24 June 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

You need to contact the manufacturer asap then. They can provide a new one.

Thanks I didn’t think they’d be able to do anything I’ll give them a call today

Edited by ausfarmerswife, 24 June 2019 - 12:55 PM.

#13 *Andi*

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:51 PM

View PostJomoMum, on 24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

This is why we only buy seats aimed at 4 years of use, so that would put a 6month-8year seat out of the running.

Currently the safest seats for older children are the type G harnessed seat, which will last until the average 8-10yo. They are labelled as 6 months to 8 years, but that doesn't mean it's safe to put a 6mo forward facing in one. I only started using them when my children were older, but they are fantastic. We have Maxiguard Pros too.

#14 JomoMum

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

DS is 5 and has just physically outgrown his 0-4 seat. We bought the Babylove Ezy Grow (similar to the Maxiguard Pro) as its harnessed to 8 but most people online say they last until 9 or 10+.

That said, his 0-4 seat which is 6 years old will be the spare seat for DH’s car when baby #2 arrives in December. But the seat has never been in an accident, and the car doesn’t live out in the sun, so we’ll use it until we see any visible signs of wear or tear.

#15 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:57 PM

Have a look at the Britax maxi guard pro or maxi guard, or baby love ezy grow for the older child. My vote is for the maxi guard/pro due to the easy adjust harness, especially if your ute has the anchor points in a tricky spot.

I'd pass down the current 0-4 seat if you can get the buckle sorted. Is it an extended rear facing seat (for rear facing up to 2.5yo)? If you want a new seat I'd look at the compact extended rear facing seats, Britax graphene or brava or Compaq, or infasecure quattro or duet or attain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.