Over active bladder in 6yo DD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Charli73

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:16 PM

So my DD is 6 and kept us up last night needing to go to the toilet to wee about 8 times at midnight and 5/6 times before bed.
Today we checked again for a UTI and again it was clear. This is the third or 4th time in a 2 year period maybe last time was in jan and she treated her for vaginosis and UTI was clear but wants us to see paed for possible OAB and says may need scan or all in her head.

Has anyone had this before? I was wondering what to do now as we can’t get an appointment for 2 months for paed and my DD cried tonight worried about needing to wake up continuously again and asked for a potty in her room so she wouldn’t wake us.

She has become a bit more clingy (is usually pretty attached to me) and I’m worried about her and how to fix this...

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Bereckii

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:25 PM

Edited for privacy.  

It sounds stressful. Good luck finding solution.

Edited by Bereckii, 25 June 2019 - 07:22 AM.

#3 qak

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:30 PM

Has she been tested for diabetes?

#4 Mum of a miracle

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:40 PM

Yes about to say what qak said and has she had her kidneys investergsted also ask about diabetes insipidus unlike type 1 and 2 it has nothing to do with blood sugar and insulin it goes on how much water in late and how much you urinate.

Maybe if you can if your pediatrian is unsure see an endocrinologist too they may have more answers.

#5 Charli73

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:43 AM

Thanks I will investigate the diabetes although I would say she doesn’t drink as much water as she should ..  I’ve stopped her soy milk before bed as it has sugar in it. (She’s dairy intolerant)

She’s never wet the bed ever but I’m sure there is some anxiety issue somewhere just but sure where it lies.

Thanks all.

Edited by Charli73, 25 June 2019 - 05:56 AM.

#6 Charli73

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:00 AM

Thanks Bereckii I had something similar as a kid or sure how or why.. I just didn’t like that the toilet was almost outside as a kid. I’m sure there is anxiety somewhere in my DD too not sure where as she’s never wet the bed but once we wet our pants but that was a long time time ago (12-18m ago).

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

You need to measure the volume each time to see if she is passing a lot of urine, or just needing to pee small amounts for another reason.

Give her a wide mouthed clear jug to pee in, and make a note of the volume, and the time.

A normal volume with frequent need to go, vs a large volume over the day will make looking at the cause a much faster process.

#8 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

Yes, my little guy had overactive bladder. I tried TT and he would oee every 20 to 30 mins and he chucked it in after the 5th clothing change.
The ultrasound measures the bladder volume before peeing and after peeing. We waited over 2 hours and of course he barely peed, however they also check morphology.
Treatment is Ditopam twice a day. It's a lovely bitter blue pill. Of course 4 year old DS wouldn't take it and stopped eating anything we gave him as he could taste it. I went to a compounding pharmacy and got it made into a flavored liquid suspension.
After about 4 months he was able to be TT and 2 months after that we stopped.
You can give yourself this by going to the toilet to frequently and training your bladder muscles weaker.

#9 Soontobegran

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

I don’t understand the suggestion it could be ‘in her head’.
Sleeping and waking to go to the toilet would indicate she is doing what she should be doing in terms of being woken by the sensation of a full bladder however she is going too frequently. She does not have enuresis as she does not wet her bed.
In a child the most common reason is UTI but diabetes is definitely something that should be investigated.
In older people it can be lifestyle, medications, underlying health issues and oedema. In children this is less likely.

Edited by Soontobegran, 25 June 2019 - 08:56 AM.

#10 Charli73

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

When the doctor suggested we see the paed as it may be a mental thing she was worried there was some anxiety issues going on or worried she would be getting up too often hence making it worse.. the fact that she is waking up to go to the toilet at midnight means I know it is a physical thing not just a mindset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.