Please tell me about Legoland and Scienceworks

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Clementinerose

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:14 PM

Hi, I’m planning a trip to Melbourne and would love to know more about Legoland and Scienceworks. Are they worth the admission price?

#2 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:23 PM

Scienceworks is excellent. And it's fairly cheap so definitely worth the admission price.

Havent been to Legoland at Chadstone. Would like to see the Brickman exhibition at Scienceworks though.

#3 Caribou

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

ScienceWorks is great! If you have an Questcon/NAtional Museum Pass, you also get access to Scienceworks.

Legoland, isn't really legoland, it's just a small place to do some lego? it's nothing like the europe ones.

#4 ERipley

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

I actually really don’t think much of scienceworks. It’s outdated and there’s really not much to do beyond the lightning room and planetarium which you have to pay extra for and then wait for show times. Plus it’s miles away from anything. It’s a big trip for very little pay off (depending where you’re staying).

The Melbourne Museum on the other hand is absolutely fantastic!

#5 tenar

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:51 PM

My kids (10 and 7) love scienceworks.  Can spend all day there.   It was great when they were younger too - lots of activities that can engage preschoolers, couple of playgrounds etc.  Last time we went I was particularly impressed by a temporary exhibition about engineering they were running in the old pump station by the river: the kids got really into the construction activities.

I haven't been to legoland.

#6 spr_maiden

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:54 PM

I almost went to scienceworks for the brickman exhibit today.  Opted not to due to travel time limits. And well, no children in tow. I like Lego...

#7 WaitForMe

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:07 PM

I love ScienceWorks especially since they put in the preschooler play space, and the new upstairs section looked pretty awesome too except I kept losing my youngest so I had to leave - I'd love to take my eldest there on her own some time. I especially love that parking is cheap.

Melbourne Museum is another fave for us. Don't like getting there though. Either pay an arm and leg to park, or have to drag the kids back to Parliament station after a big day out.

And they are both so cheap! Free for concession holders - a great outing for grandparents and kids. Otherwise its about $15 per adult.

#8 laridae

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:15 PM

We are going to visit Melbourne soon so will follow.

We will be relying on public transport so I think Scienceworks is too far out.  We've booked the free shuttle to Chadstone for the Lego Discovery Centre.

We are also going to the aquarium. The combined ticket for the aquarium/lego seems good value.

Melbourne museum looks like a good option though - 15 mins walk from where we are staying.

Edited by laridae, 25 June 2019 - 05:18 PM.

#9 lonestranger

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:19 PM

How old are the children? My 4 yo loves Scienceworks, Melbourne Museum and Lego Discovery Centre.

I found Lego Discovery Centre to be quite pricey (especially the crap food options - eat before you go!), but the 4 yo completely loved it. There are 2 very small rides (just right for him), several play areas where you can build and a 4D cinema that was fun. There is a huge Lego model of Melbourne that I loved. Also a padded play area, but remember to bring socks. And of course a gift shop to exit through...

So whilst I'm not a huge fan (mainly due to cost), 4 yo thinks it is the greatest place on earth, and begs to return one day!

I prefer both Scienceworks and Museum, again due to value for money.

#10 Clementinerose

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

lonestranger, the kids are 16,14,12,11,9,7,5,3,7 months so a huge range of ages to keep happy

#11 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:57 PM

View PostERipley, on 25 June 2019 - 04:45 PM, said:

I actually really don’t think much of scienceworks. It’s outdated and there’s really not much to do beyond the lightning room and planetarium which you have to pay.

When did you last go? Because they renovated the small kids area (Little Big Town) and changed it up moving it downstairs. Upstairs now has a new display. The only part looking a bit dated is the Sports Science but the body science and future display are all very new looking and ok.

The Museum however... the room of stuffed animals? Yeah I think that's looking very sad. Dinosaur area, insects, geology, the outdoor forest and the little kids area are great. Haven't seen the new display upstairs replacing the amazing human body yet, but DS 5 has little interest in the Melbourne, human mind or the Aboriginal display which makes up almost half of it.

#12 Mrs Claus

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

We love scienceworks.

#13 smilinggirl

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:17 PM

My 7 year old just had a school excursion to Scienceworks and it was a big hit with her and the rest of the Grade 1’s and 2’s. Remember what might be old and boring to an adult may not be any concern to a child

#14 ERipley

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:22 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 25 June 2019 - 05:57 PM, said:

When did you last go? Because they renovated the small kids area (Little Big Town) and changed it up moving it downstairs. Upstairs now has a new display. The only part looking a bit dated is the Sports Science but the body science and future display are all very new looking and ok.

The Museum however... the room of stuffed animals? Yeah I think that's looking very sad. Dinosaur area, insects, geology, the outdoor forest and the little kids area are great. Haven't seen the new display upstairs replacing the amazing human body yet, but DS 5 has little interest in the Melbourne, human mind or the Aboriginal display which makes up almost half of it.

I was at Scienceworks about 2 months ago. They had the new play area downstairs but it was just millions of children running around screaming in a small space. We went to the planetarium (which is fantastic) so we didn’t make it upstairs to see anything new. It’s good to hear they fixed it up a bit. It was incredibly dull before.

The new gut bacteria exhibition at the museum is tiny and not worth going for (and my son loves bacteria). I’m also pretty annoyed they put some extremely dubious information on the wall about gut bacteria maybe causing ADHD and ASD. Not good. My small kids always love everything else there. They’re 2 and 5. I think with a mix of ages visiting it’s good to know the IMAX is downstairs in case the older kids want to do that.

#15 Goldenash

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

View PostClementinerose, on 25 June 2019 - 05:28 PM, said:

lonestranger, the kids are 16,14,12,11,9,7,5,3,7 months so a huge range of ages to keep happy

At those ages science works could be worthwhile. I would give Legoland a miss.

My kids are 5 &3 and didn’t love science works, the 5 yr old has been to questecon in Canberra recently and absolutely loved it. It seemed to engage better for her age.  However your older kids may really like it.

Legoland is not that big, it has a couple of rides, a toddler play area, a 15 min movie and a space to build Lego cars. For that many kids I am not sure it would be worthwhile.

The aquarium is s big hit with our kids.  Or any of the zoos.

#16 Snowtiger

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

I went with my 7 and 5 year old to Legoland yesterday for the first time.  They loved it and we ended up staying 4 hours (although we did watch 3 of the 4 different movies shown, they go for 15 mins or so each). They wanted to go back again today! But I can’t see it holding the attention of children too much older than 7/8/9.  Food options are awful so bring your own or eat before or after you visit.

#17 Apageintime

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:20 PM

We really love science works. My son is also a massive fan of the 'poo pumping' station behind it.

#18 Contrebasse

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

I’m not that keen on Legoland. Our kids like science works - it’s also reasonably accessible by public transport (10 mins walk from the station).

The aquarium is also good but expensive. Any of the zoos are a good day out (Werribee has a safari bus, Healesville a good birds of prey show)

#19 Dani_R

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:12 PM

View Postlaridae, on 25 June 2019 - 05:15 PM, said:

We are going to visit Melbourne soon so will follow.

We will be relying on public transport so I think Scienceworks is too far out.  We've booked the free shuttle to Chadstone for the Lego Discovery Centre.

We are also going to the aquarium. The combined ticket for the aquarium/lego seems good value.

Melbourne museum looks like a good option though - 15 mins walk from where we are staying.

Scienceworks is about a 15 min train ride from the city and then easily walkable from Spotswood station, so don't discount it straight away!

#20 Caribou

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:26 AM

I agree transport to ScienceWorks is really easy. And it’s a nice walk. Kids enjoyed it!

#21 Evra

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:03 AM

My three year old loved Legoland. It’s quite nicely divided up into soft play areas for babies and toddlers, and activities for older kids. I’m not sure it offers a lot for teens. The LEGO model of Melbourne is amazing and will be fun to recognise some landmarks after exploring the city. Would definitely try to go on a weekday as it’s not that big and gets very busy.

#22 tiggy2

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:18 AM

Legoland is not really suited to over 12s. Melbourne museum is great, aquarium is great but pricey, any of the Zoos.

#23 laridae

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

View PostDani_R, on 25 June 2019 - 10:12 PM, said:

Scienceworks is about a 15 min train ride from the city and then easily walkable from Spotswood station, so don't discount it straight away!
We were trying to stay in the free tram zone so I don't have to worry about getting a myki. It's just the kids and me this trip - we'll save that one for when DH can come too (and we'll probably have a car)

#24 TheGreenSheep

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:49 PM

Scienceworks IMHO is overpriced and tired. I think your kids over age 10 will be bored. Its especially noisy and chaotic in school holidays, long queues to get in first thing in the morning.

With the range of ages I'd go to the zoo, lots of space and easy to spend the day. Free for kids in school holidays. Take your own food and have a picnic if the weather is nice. Plenty of water stations to refill your drink bottles.

#25 Clementinerose

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

Thankyou for all the suggestions and opinions. We are going to the zoo, aquarium and Queen Victoria markets. I’ll have to have a bit more of a think about scienceworks and Legoland but it sounds like the science one would be the better of the two

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.