Subaru XV vs Honda CRV or the like?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Sentient Puddle

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:04 PM

Very boring topic about cars!!!

Anyone have one of the above cars or a newish small to medium SUV of another make????  I like the boot space of the Honda but like the feel of the Subaru.

Thanks in advance

#2 Jenflea

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:12 PM

I LOVE my XV but the boot space isn't great. I don't need much these days now I don't have a pram though.

I think overall Subarus are better cars.

#3 IamOzgirl

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:13 PM

i just bought a tiguan. Loving it - haven't tested the boot space. I also thought the XV was too small...

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:57 PM

I have a Subaru Forester. Love it.
MIL has the Honda CRV, I’ve borrowed it before, it’s also a great car. I used to have an older model CRV too, and loved that car.

My only problem with Subaru, in Melbourne, is the lack of service centres, really hard to get a service done. Based on that, I’d say get a CRV.

#5 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:01 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 26 June 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

I have a Subaru Forester. Love it.
MIL has the Honda CRV, I’ve borrowed it before, it’s also a great car. I used to have an older model CRV too, and loved that car.

My only problem with Subaru, in Melbourne, is the lack of service centres, really hard to get a service done. Based on that, I’d say get a CRV.
I've driven Subarus for a long time. I'm up to my third.  I gave up on Subaru servicing about 12 months in. ;) when they told me the cost of the first major service. Just too expensive for me.

#6 IamOzgirl

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:05 PM

I have never gotten my car service at a subaru dealer (have own 3)

Also tested the warranty issue, we broke our car 4x4 (not a subby) and it was fixed under warranty. it had never been serviced at a dealer as it was country based government owned vehicle before us.

#7 SeaPrincess

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:30 PM

I have a Subaru Outback, and I love it. We picked the Outback over the Forester because the boot space is longer and wider in the Outback, although a bit shorter.

#8 Stuffed Olive

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:47 PM

We love our Subaru Forester. I picked it over the Subaru XV as it has a "proper" spare wheel. I can't be doing with those space saver jobs!
We are near Melbourne, but were also unimpressed with the dealers in the city. We bought the car from the dealer in Bendigo, go back there for the services and are very happy.

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:51 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 26 June 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

I've driven Subarus for a long time. I'm up to my third.  I gave up on Subaru servicing about 12 months in. ;) when they told me the cost of the first major service. Just too expensive for me.

I had to go back there to qualify for their extended warranty. It was a pain in the bum! And now I have to go back for a recall. Otherwise I wouldn’t have had it serviced there.

DH had a similar issue with Jeep. So many recalls that he couldn’t avoid going back to the dealership.

#10 Charli73

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:05 PM

I picked a Nissan over the Subaru as the service interval was 12 months not every 6 months with the Subaru Forester so just check that too..

What about a Nissan Quashqai? I had one for a month and I loved it. I ended up with the bigger Xtrail and am very happy with it.

#11 Jenflea

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:38 PM

I love my Dealer service!
Sure it might cost more but I'm in and out in less than 90 minutes, perfect for a single car family where the dealership is in the industrial area of town.

#12 Sentient Puddle

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:47 PM

View PostCharli73, on 26 June 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

I picked a Nissan over the Subaru as the service interval was 12 months not every 6 months with the Subaru Forester so just check that too..

What about a Nissan Quashqai? I had one for a month and I loved it. I ended up with the bigger Xtrail and am very happy with it.

I looked at those 2 Nissans.  The salesperson was just so awful that I didn't stay long. Really put me off their cars. It was as if I was wasting their time.

#13 Chapvane

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

I wouldn’t let a salesman not doing his job decide wether you buy a car or not. I would shop around and I did.
I would go to another dealership - I went to 3 before I recently bought my car.
I bought a Nissan Quashqai 3 months ago and love it.
My parents bought the Honda CRV 6 months ago - nice to drive but not enough leg room in the back for my teenage sons and the boots not big enough.
I had a Subaru Forrester for 8 years - servicing and parts are to expensive so I didn’t want to go near a Subaru again.

Edited by Chapvane, 26 June 2019 - 06:35 PM.

#14 -Emissary-

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:24 PM

Check out the new Rav 4 as well. DH has been watching a lot of reviews on it and it’s been getting rave reviews and score well against other small to medium SUVs.

#15 gracie1978

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:31 PM

My neighbour has the CRV and I covert it, great all rounder SUV and a really good size.

I have a Tiguan and it's been good, decent boot size and room between 1st and 2nd row (unlike the CX5).

The Forrester is more of a comparative car.

#16 *Spikey*

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:33 PM

I am driving a Subaru Impreza XV hybrid. Best car ever. I bought it second hand though - a friend got a new car (salary sacrifice plan, so the old one had to go) and I had been in hers often enough to know I'd like it.

Yep, I like it a lot. Country road queen.

#17 Nasty Poobah

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:40 PM

I bought a 2013 AWD RAV 4 recently (less than 60,000 on the clock so effectively much newer than the year would suggest).

I absolutely love it and would have bought new under different financial circs.

It's a dream to drive, would prefer the reversing camera which the newest models have but for now the parking sensors are pretty damn fine.

Boot space is interesting though, my recent late 90s Honda Civic had more.  However with the seats down I can carry lots. Wish I'd known I couldn't put the front passenger seat forward though, so can't carry anything really long.  Suspect that's not really what you're concerned about though : ;):

Toyota reliability was a big drawcard for me -- Honda certainly has it too, but it seemed to me that their service costs were higher.

EFS & grammar fail

Edited by Nasty Poobah, 26 June 2019 - 10:26 PM.

#18 Magnolia2

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

Here’s one out of the box - try looking at the Skoda Octavia Scout (that’s the AWD version - similar footprint to a Subaru Outback). The regular Octavia wagon looks more like a standard station wagon, but the Scout is raised higher.

Very different price point from the Subarus, but the Skodas have gotten very good reviews in recent years. (They’re made by a company that is part of the VW group, I think, so build quality is good.)

#19 SeaPrincess

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:21 PM

View PostMagnolia2, on 26 June 2019 - 09:51 PM, said:

Here’s one out of the box - try looking at the Skoda Octavia Scout (that’s the AWD version - similar footprint to a Subaru Outback). The regular Octavia wagon looks more like a standard station wagon, but the Scout is raised higher.

Very different price point from the Subarus, but the Skodas have gotten very good reviews in recent years. (They’re made by a company that is part of the VW group, I think, so build quality is good.)

Friends had a Skoda - expensive for servicing and repairs. Also they lived rurally, and couldn't find anyone local to service it, so they had to bring it to the city every time. They didn't keep it for long.

#20 Jenflea

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:27 PM

Subaru make hybrids now??

Why didn't I know this?? Though the Impreza that we had was a bit low for my dodgy hip to get in and out of...which is why I love the XV. It's higher.

#21 Chicken Penang

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:54 PM

We have had our Honda CRV five years now. I’ve been very happy with it.

#22 Sentient Puddle

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

View PostChapvane, on 26 June 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

I wouldn’t let a salesman not doing his job decide wether you buy a car or not. I would shop around and I did.
I would go to another dealership - I went to 3 before I recently bought my car.
I bought a Nissan Quashqai 3 months ago and love it.
My parents bought the Honda CRV 6 months ago - nice to drive but not enough leg room in the back for my teenage sons and the boots not big enough.
I had a Subaru Forrester for 8 years - servicing and parts are to expensive so I didn’t want to go near a Subaru again.

I didn't see anything I liked enough of those 2 cars to shlep to another dealer unfortunately.

View Post-Emissary-, on 26 June 2019 - 09:24 PM, said:

Check out the new Rav 4 as well. DH has been watching a lot of reviews on it and it’s been getting rave reviews and score well against other small to medium SUVs.

I looked at the new Ravs - but the new ones are a little bit more expensive than the other cars I am looking at.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  Another question - are end of financial sales really beneficial enough to make a decision sooner rather than later??

#23 qak

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:09 AM

We looked seriously at the XV and then decided the boot was a bit small. Their fuel consumption seems to be a fair bit higher than stated too.

Servicing is apparently more expensive with Subys, as the boxer engine is low down and hard to get to; also heard there are lots of issues with the EyeSight system.

DH was really keen on blind spot monitoring and I think that was only available in the top model - this was last year so may have changed by now.

If it hadn't been for the above, I think we would have ended up with one.

#24 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:42 PM

After a brief and disastrous change from Subaru to a used Volvo a couple of years ago, Subaru parts and servicing seem like a bargain! Needless to say we went back to driving Subarus.

#25 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

View Postqak, on 27 June 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

DH was really keen on blind spot monitoring and I think that was only available in the top model - this was last year so may have changed by now.

Our Outback is 2 years old and has blind spot monitoring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.