1st Parent Teacher Interview

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spartan_mum

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

We had our 1st parent teacher interview for DS1 yesterday. He is doing very well academically and has already met the benchmarks for reading in Kindergarten.

I wasn't aware of this as the readers he brings home don't indicate the level (nor have they told us what level they should be on by the end) so I just assumed he was reading at the normal level for this time of year.

She did mention that during class time when they are doing things as a whole class he is very distracted and will often not sit still. she mentioned that if he wasn't doing so well academically she would be concerned. She also mentioned that at times she is surprised by his level of comprehension given how distracted he can be.

Would this suggest he is bored? I will obviously have a chat to him tonight about paying attention in class and listening etc etc but while that behaviour is not surprising (he can be a bit of a daydreamer) I am a little surprised by those comments as he is usually a calm and quiet little boy.

I'm not overly concerned, he says he loves school and is obviously doing well but would like to know if others have any ideas around what a bored child may display in school or if i just have a DS who needs to be reminded to listen more....

#2 ERipley

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:06 AM

It can sometimes be a core strength issue. My son has trouble holding himself up and still all day so gets quite wriggly by the end of the day. He is doing a lot of work to build up his strength and his teacher says he is getting better at keeping still as he gets stronger.

If your child is quite bright ADHD might also be a consideration. With this comes hyper focus that would allow him to learn so much faster than his peers, but then be distracted when he’s no longer interested.

And yes, plain old boredom.

#3 EsmeLennox

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:03 AM

It would suggest he’s a kid, I reckon.

#4 Expelliarmus

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:16 PM

If he’s ahead of standard why would he need to be reminded to listen more?

It doesn’t suggest boredom. A little distraction is normal. Boredom is frequently characterised by misbehaviour. A child who’s a little daydreamy but doing well academically is unlikely to be bored but is probably ‘in the right zone’.

I would just make a mental note and if it continues and his academic achievements suffer he may need some assistance from a paed or Ed psych to make sure he doesn’t have a learning difference. At this stage he sounds like a normal FYOS child.

#5 Octopodes

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:55 PM

My bored at school gifted child was spending half of the day correcting the teacher for their poor grammar and spelling mistakes , hijacking lessons etc. He'd refuse to do work he deemed below him, worked deliberately slowly to avoid boring work and complained endlessly about the amount of repetition of tasks he had to do... he was causing trouble, not sitting in class distracted.

What you describe sounds pretty normal for FYOS.

#6 Prancer is coming

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:33 PM

The benchmark is the goal for the end of the year.  There will be lots of children who meet it before the end of the year, or who may have already met the target before this year.  There will also be lots of children who will not make the bench mark.  

Personally, I began wondering about ADHD inattentive rather than boredom when I read your post.  The fact that the teacher made mention of thinking it would be an issue if not for him doing well on classwork would flag potential concerns.  I do wonder if he does well when he is distracted, how much better he may be if he could concentrate.

#7 RuntotheRiver

Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:48 PM

I didn't see many kids who were 100% concentrating in my DS's first year.  They were wiggle worms and a fly landing on the white board would distract them! That is a skill that comes with time.

If you can volunteer to do classroom reading/help, this may be good way to see how everyone is behaving in general.  

Some kids learn well in kaos - my DD does!  My DS does not, he sits himself with the girls now, so he can learn and it has certainly worked!   In 6 months he has made gains of 1 yr in a couple of subjects...even he admits he learns best  with the girls :smile:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.