Air Fryer - Do you have one? Are you happy with it?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 AprilEthereal

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

Last night I was gifted an Air fryer, it's one from Aldi.  I have been curious about them for ages but didn't feel justified in spending several hundred on another appliance.
Now I have one (Yay)   I'm going to make home made chips in it tonight.

Do you have one? Do you like it?  Do you use if often?

#2 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:41 PM

I like it but i don't think it's as good as some of the fb groups would have you believe. Some of them do almost everything in it. Just like my thermomix, there's limitations to what can be cooked in it successfully.

I love it for quick things like chips and nuggets etc but wouldnt do steak in it like some people do. Done bacon with limited success. Handy for what it's designed for.

#3 ERipley

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

Following!  My son has sensory issues and likes crispy food. I was thinking about getting one.

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

My SIL uses it a lot to make various vegetables into chips for her kids, but that seems to be all they use it for.

ETA - their kids don't have sensory issues, they are just typical difficult for their parents kids. Given they eat just fine for both my MIL & myself.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 27 June 2019 - 02:07 PM.

#5 Paddlepop

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

Go check out Jimmy Giggle's Instagram at jimmyrees_. He has an air fryer section because he uses it all the time to cook his family's dinner. He needs to be sponsored by an air fryer company because he promotes it so much.

#6 Lulubin

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:31 PM

We got one recently and love it. We did a whole chook last weekend and it was amazing! The skin was like a BBQ chook, when you cut into it you could hear it crack

#7 mards

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

love it I HATE cooking I DONT cook - even have a thermo - and think its better than that - I did a roast from Aldi in it - in 40 min including veggies - and I DONT cook!! I have now used it every night since I've got it - mini pizzas are amazing - I do NOT cook! my daughter makes her own bacon in it - crispy and yummy - the FB group GET YOUR BAKE ON - is fantastic the guy that runs it Chris Jolly is hilarious and cooks amazingly in the AF ..

#8 ERipley

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

How much money are we talking? And how much oil?

#9 Babetty

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:49 PM

View PostERipley, on 27 June 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

How much money are we talking? And how much oil?

Friend is happy with the $69 Kmart version. I was given a $250 ish Phillips one, and it's not the most expensive model.

I just toss veggies in some oil to coat, and throw in the basket - it's more like a fast high temperature bake / roast than fry.

I don't use mine a lot, but great for doing sausages followed by frozen chips for a really quick meal (while veggies are in the microwave!).

I've done chicken wings, ribs etc but will take a bit more experimenting to get them right.

#10 Pooks Combusted

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:56 PM

I got the 5.2 Kogan one and use it several times a week. We eat a lot of processed foods because of 2x kids with autism/sensory issues, it makes it so easy to make back up meals and to heat evenly and not cause tears with the dreaded Burned Bits.

#11 AprilEthereal

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:15 PM

This one is from Aldi so I wouldn't imagine it was super expensive and I'm not sure how brands would compare in function and quality of  end product. This is a good experiment for me as it was gifted to me.

I read the user manual today and it said not to cook sausages in it.

The basket isn't huge but I'm wondering if you can cook say, chicken and chips at the same time?

Thank you for your responses and suggestions. I will report back once I've cooked and eaten the homemade chips.

#12 anna_garny

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:38 PM

We got one about 12 months ago and we use it daily. Even for things like croissants in the morning, it's so much easier to turn it on than to heat up the oven when I'm only making a few small things - party pies for lunch, chicken breast for dinner when I'm steaming the veggies on the stove-top. We do chips in it at least once a week, but anything pretty much that could go into the oven can go into the air fryer.

Last night we had the baked camembert from Aldi and put it in the air fryer; rather than getting the oven going for just that little thing. Especially in summer, it works a treat.

#13 Babetty

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

View PostAprilEthereal, on 27 June 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

I read the user manual today and it said not to cook sausages in it.

The basket isn't huge but I'm wondering if you can cook say, chicken and chips at the same time?

Did they say why no sausages? I'm curious?

I find it doesn't cook as well if the basket is too full, so I probably wouldn't try and do chicken & chips together.

#14 ERipley

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

View Postanna_garny, on 27 June 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

We got one about 12 months ago and we use it daily. Even for things like croissants in the morning, it's so much easier to turn it on than to heat up the oven when I'm only making a few small things - party pies for lunch, chicken breast for dinner when I'm steaming the veggies on the stove-top. We do chips in it at least once a week, but anything pretty much that could go into the oven can go into the air fryer.

Last night we had the baked camembert from Aldi and put it in the air fryer; rather than getting the oven going for just that little thing. Especially in summer, it works a treat.

Is it faster than the oven? My oven is horrible and burns everything so this is sounding better and better.

#15 Babetty

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:59 PM

View PostERipley, on 27 June 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

Is it faster than the oven? My oven is horrible and burns everything so this is sounding better and better.

Yes, but the biggest part of the time-saving is that it heats up almost instantly.

#16 byjingo

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:01 PM

Yes and yes. The best thing I’ve eaten in Salmon, the skin goes so crispy and the flesh is cooked perfectly.

Easy baked veggie mix, homemade chips etc. I love it, and it takes about a minute to heat up, unlike the oven and so easy to keep clean. I was washing after every use, but I do find the basket has weakened at little, so I only do it if it’s super greasy.

I’ve got a Philips XL, when we bought ours from Costco there was also a cash back deal, so we got it at a great price. I haven’t seen them there again though.

The only downside, it is quite noisy, but not much noisier than my current oven actually.

Edited by byjingo, 27 June 2019 - 05:02 PM.

#17 Babetty

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:07 PM

View Postbyjingo, on 27 June 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

Yes and yes. The best thing I’ve eaten in Salmon, the skin goes so crispy and the flesh is cooked perfectly.

Ohh - how do you cook your salmon? I haven't tried it in the air fryer and I do like salmon!

#18 AprilEthereal

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:36 PM

View PostBabetty, on 27 June 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

Did they say why no sausages? I'm curious?

I find it doesn't cook as well if the basket is too full, so I probably wouldn't try and do chicken & chips together.

It just says Do not cook greasy or oily foods such as sausages in the air fryer.

#19 annodam

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:48 PM

I don't own one but the Club my kids play at have, they use it in the Canteen.
It's perfect for making hot chips, plus there's no oil too, so it's also great from a safety point of view when there's 2 or more people serving.

#20 Pooks Combusted

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

I cook crumbed chicken or fish in the airfryer, steam veg and make couscous in less than 10 minutes. It’s so quick.

#21 Blue Shoe

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:04 PM

Love my air fryer. Good for fish and chip type meals, roast veggies, salmon fillets or chicken breasts/tenders etc. I often do a complete meal using only the air fryer and microwave - great when you’re busy because you’re not having to stand and watch/stir the stove. Much faster than the oven, gives a crispy outside and tender inside. And I cook sausages in mine - don’t remember any instructions not too, and haven’t had any problems over the years.

#22 jayskette

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:06 PM

I have the aldi one for 3 years now. still going!

#23 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:17 PM

I bought an air fryer for my husband for Christmas 2 and a half years ago. Ours gets used pretty much every day.

I find it awesome for reheating or baking small items I don't really want to heat a whole oven for, e.g. a couple of croissants, or bake at home rolls.

I also love it for reheating pizzas, meat pies etc It doesn't seem to dry things out as much as an oven. I sometimes microwave things and then chuck it in the air fryer for 2 mins and then it goes crispy.

I find it tends to take half the time that is recommended for the oven for most things. (We have the Phillips XL).

We have a toddler so ours gets used a lot for chicken tenders or "fish fingers".

#24 ERipley

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

Had anyone tried crisps? Potato or any other vegetable?

#25 ~Peahen~

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:52 PM

Love love love my airfryer!

I have the Kmart cheapie and use it twice a day. I bought it soley for the purpose of cooking tofu but use it to cook pumpkin, sweet potato, mushrooms, chickpeas (omg, crispy chickpeas are the BEST), veggie burgers and Linda McCartney sausages.

Did I mention MUSHROOMS and CHICKPEAS?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.