My house stinks

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Jelly Bee

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

I had one dog. She never smelled. Short haired, very clean. Small. Kelpie. We tore our hair out in her maniac puppy stage but once that was over she became basically the perfect dog.

Now we have two dogs. The other one is huge. Wolfhound. Hairy. Not clean. Stinks. Rolls in its own poo. Eats it’s own poo. Constantly treks dirt around.

Our house stinks. It doesn’t help that it’s winter and we aren’t opening doors too much. They’re outside playing a lot but in with us every afternoon and evening.

I hate having a doggy house. Any tips and tricks other than bath the dogs and air the house neither of which seem to help completely .....

#2 Flaxen

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:39 PM

You and me both.

Nilodor spray helps me feel better when visitors come.

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

We only have one small dog but he sheds constantly and smells slightly doggy, especially when wet.

What helps is:
Hard wood floors.
Leather furniture.
No soft furnishings. At all.
Dog is only allowed in the back living area, no dog in bedroom and very rarely the front room.
Also, wash the dog beds and dog bedding all the time. My dogs bed sometimes just gets thrown out when it’s too smelly. Same with dog toys, dog toys stink. So stay on top of the washing of bedding and toys.

And wash the dog occasionally. Ours doesn’t need much washing at all, just when he has p*ssed on his own legs one too many times. Then he gets a bath and a brush.

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:52 PM

Oh, and baby wipes. I use baby wipes on my dogs face and bum sometimes if he has made a mess of himself. On furniture too. It’s a quick fix when we don’t have time to bathe him.

#5 Oriental lily

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:05 PM

I have no soft furnishing . Leather lounges, hard floors . No rugs . This helps but I also have two geriatric dogs (. 13 and 15 year old ) who have become very complacent of the idea of using the doggy door to do their business . It’s hard but I need to have patience because ageing is hard for us all . I also don’t like bathing them to much because they find it stressful . So I am kinda accepting to the smells and ‘messes’ .

My Labrador is great though . He never smells ! I have bathed him once in his whole life ( he is 3 ) and only needs a good groom to remove loose hair but he has no ponky doggy smell at all it’s really weird .

Oh except his feet . He has smelly musty feet but that’s a normal dog smell .

Some dogs really just stink more than others . Even within the same breed .

#6 BeachesBaby

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

Febreeze definitely! It really works like a bomb. I made the mistake of letting my dog chew her antler on my bare mattress (laundry day) while I chatted with my mom on Skype for an hour. At the end of it there were 3 spots of the worst smell ever  from where her saliva mixed with the bone marrow from her antler. I've since found out a doctor friend says it smells exactly like gangrene :sick: , so yea, it was terribly. I ran to the store and got a bottle of febreeze, which I didn't even know they sold in Aus. Grab a bottle and spray literally everything. Hope it helps!

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

Definitely check the bedding.  I hadn't really got close to ours (after all who chooses to sniff the dog's bed) and didn't realise how putrid it was.

Also how old is it.  Ours had his teeth cleaned recently (six years old) and the difference was amazing.  Suddenly colgate fresh breath rather than stink.

#8 *Spikey*

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:45 PM

Get your vet to check for fungal infections - eating and rolling in poo may be a flag (or cause) or skin issues. Fungal skin infections = smelly dogs.

Invest in a crate to contain the dogs overnight - wash dog crate bedding weekly.

Also invest in big dog cushions for the living area, and cover them with washable covers. Nothing removes the smell like - removing the smell!

Use Napisan and hot water to wash with, it will kill off the nasties causing the odour.

Ours also have a paved area outside our back door - so their paws are not dirty when they come in. Consider using mats and other barriers to trap incoming dirt. If they run over something that's washable or that can be taken outdoors and cleaned up, then you reduce the trek factor.

#9 Avocado tree

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:32 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 27 June 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

Definitely check the bedding.  I hadn't really got close to ours (after all who chooses to sniff the dog's bed) and didn't realise how putrid it was.

Also how old is it.  Ours had his teeth cleaned recently (six years old) and the difference was amazing.  Suddenly colgate fresh breath rather than stink.

Did the teeth cleaning involve an anaesthetic?  We have just had a 5 year old cocker spaniel come into our care and she is a stinky one so the vet has recommended knocking her out and getting the teeth cleaned properly.  

Two dogs here and my house is smelly and filthy.  I can’t keep on top of the vacuuming and mopping.  It’s doing my head in.  I am abit of a germ phobic so trying to face the fact that this is what my house now is.

Edited by Avocado tree, 27 June 2019 - 08:33 PM.

#10 lozoodle

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:48 PM

My solution is the dogs live outside haha. They come sleep in their crate at night, but nope, no more.

#11 Jelly Bee

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:53 PM

View PostFlaxen, on 27 June 2019 - 06:39 PM, said:

You and me both.

Nilodor spray helps me feel better when visitors come.

I don’t think that would make a dent 😳😳😳

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

View PostAvocado tree, on 27 June 2019 - 08:32 PM, said:

Did the teeth cleaning involve an anaesthetic?  We have just had a 5 year old cocker spaniel come into our care and she is a stinky one so the vet has recommended knocking her out and getting the teeth cleaned properly.  

Two dogs here and my house is smelly and filthy.  I can’t keep on top of the vacuuming and mopping.  It’s doing my head in.  I am abit of a germ phobic so trying to face the fact that this is what my house now is.

Yes, it did, around $600.

#13 MarciaB

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

Washable blankets - I buy polar fleece ones from Ikea (they even have $2.99 ones) and have them in their beds and also make them sit on a blanket on the couch.

I wash them all the time otherwise they do smell doggy.

I also bath my dogs (they are small) every couple of weeks.  They are so used to it now, they even sit there while I use the hairdryer on them lol.

I also use a lot of candles as I like my house to smell nice!

#14 Jelly Bee

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

Thanks everyone. We do wash their beds fortnightly but I suspect they sleep on the couch after we’ve gone to bed anyway. A blanket for that then!

No soft furnishings isn’t feasible immediate but we will certainly replace items with harder wearing ones as they need it

I just don’t understand why two smell 10x as much as one 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ Do they leak smell out when they play???! 😩😩

I just cancelled an appointment for tomorrow that was going to be at the house because I’m too ashamed of the grossness

#15 Crooked Frame

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:28 AM

What we do to keep our house not smelling dog infested:

- air it out as much as possible
- our dog is only allowed downstairs (non-carpeted areas) and not on the couch. We have a baby gate at the top of the stairs and we push the couch back cushions down onto the seat when we're not home so she can't climb on it.
- regular vacuuming
- weekly/fortnightly dog washing (my DW was doing weekly washes but I felt like she didn't need it that often and it seemed to make her skin more sensitive so scaled back to fortnightly)
- regular brushing/wiping when needed (Kmart sells pet wipes which are basically giant unscented baby wipes for $1.50 a pack and they're great)
- our dog destroys every bed we've bought her, so we have about 6 black bath mats we stack three at a time and then wash weekly and rotate. If she didn't destroy her beds, we'd buy one with a removable cover and wash it weekly.

We have a Ridgeback/Kelpie mutt so she's got short hair but she sheds a fair bit.

#16 eliza_non

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:46 AM

Things I do to lessen the doginess of the house:

Air house as much as possible
Eucalyptus spray
We have a baby gate so the dogs can’t access carpeted areas of the house
No rugs or cushions in the living areas
Run the robot vacuum in the living areas daily
Leather/vinyl lounge
Washable fleece blankets for the dog

Agree with PP regarding a vet check for fungal infections, dental disease, etc.

#17 kadoodle

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:44 PM

My dogs found a dead kangaroo today. Fabreeze and bicarbonate of soda are wonderful things.

#18 *Spikey*

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:18 AM

Lol. Mine had better not find any dead kangaroos....

#19 Coffeegirl

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:34 AM

We don’t have a dog anymore, but when we did, in the winter I found those damp rid products to help a lot as they pulled the moisture, and the smell lingering in the moisture, out of the air in the house.

#20 DontPokeTheBearMum

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

I have one massive shaggy boof head of a dog who not only stinks but farts a lot.

I don't invite people over anymore.

#21 Twinmum+2

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:03 PM

I heard a joke once... The comedian said "Hands up who has cats?" Half the audience cheered and clapped and put their hands up. He said "Your house stinks." 😂

#22 FiveAus

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:33 PM

We have a number of dogs and two cats. Some of the dogs are inside all the time, the rest come in of an evening. They all sleep inside.
I'm very conscious of animal smells, so the dogs are bathed regularly, we have hard flooring right through the house and the floors get mopped every single day. We have no soft furnishings aside from a few rugs on the couch and these get laundered every few days. The dogs have mats to sleep on, these get washed a few times a week (they are easy to wash and quick drying).
Any dog that is dropping coat get extra baths, a thorough blow out with a high velocity dryer and much brushing.

I work Mon - Friday and I'm usually gone for 9+ hours, so I notice if the house smells when I walk in the door. it usually doesn't. If it does I track down the source of the smell right away and deal with it (as it's usually pretty obvious what it is).

#23 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 27 June 2019 - 08:48 PM, said:

My solution is the dogs live outside haha. They come sleep in their crate at night, but nope, no more.

this would be my solution too.

#24 kadoodle

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:02 PM

DS1 and dogs had fun exploring the creek today. Tonight my house smells of stinky teenaged boy and stinky wet dog. I need to turn the house inside out and bomb it with shampoo.

#25 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:14 AM

It’s too cold here for the guinea pigs to be outside so I’ve moved them in.  They stink too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.