Onwards and upwards

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 IamOzgirl

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

For those of you who know my story, you have probably been hoping for a good news thread for some time.

This community has been a great support to me so i want to share some amazing news with you all and have a positive thread to share.

I have been pondering for some time about going it alone with regard to having another child. I had looked into all the options and even with time not on my side i had been sitting back and waiting.

Over the last few weeks i have been getting a few signs and a few things have fallen into place which made me realise that I should go for it and its meant to be!

The biggest news of all is that a clinic has offered to do my IVF cycles bulk bill. this is amazing as i was looking at approx $15k for just one round.

I have my first appt with the new clinic on the 5th August. I spoke to my old clinic who is very supportive and will send my records onto the new clinic.

Wish me luck and send good vibes my way.

Thank you for your support already!

Edited by IamOzgirl, 28 June 2019 - 03:41 PM.

#2 cvbn

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:47 PM

I am so excited for you, good luck!

#3 BusbyWilkes

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

That is amazing Oz Girl. You so deserve a happy ending.

#4 ckmelb

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:31 PM

Oh Oz I am so happy for you. I had been wondering if you would maybe try on your own and so glad you have taken the first step

Sending you loads of good vibes x

#5 Ellie bean

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:33 PM

Oh that’s wonderful, sending you lots of luck x

#6 IamOzgirl

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

View Postckmelb, on 28 June 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

Oh Oz I am so happy for you. I had been wondering if you would maybe try on your own and so glad you have taken the first step

Sending you loads of good vibes x

Thank you - i have already had a few naysayers, but what they don't realise is that from about this time last year I was already mentally preparing to be a single mother, and was actually having individual counselling to prepare me for that fact from August. So mentally I was already there. I would have been in the trenches from day one - i swear a couple of people think that 50/50 care is doable from day one. idiots! It would have only gotten easier (easier in their perceived minds, not they think it would be easy as a whole) after 2yo... and probably not even then.

Edited by IamOzgirl, 28 June 2019 - 03:58 PM.

#7 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:49 PM

That’s wonderful news! You’ve got so much support here xx

#8 Pink Flamingo

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

Good for you! Don’t worry about the naysayers, it’s none of their business. All the best! I look forward to hearing your happy news Xx

#9 ckmelb

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:59 PM

I'm sorry you have had a few naysayers. People can keep their mouth shut if they don't agree

Since I have told people I am pregnant (single mother by choice) I have had a surprising number of women make a beeline for me to ask me all about it because they are considering the same thing. So you are definitely not alone

#10 IamOzgirl

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:05 PM

Thank you!!

#11 Mollyksy

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:18 PM

I did it too. DS is 5yo. I wont lie, it can be tough. Relentless. But every mother will tell you that. You read about husbands on EB and I think sometimes the wives lives partnered sound tougher than mine as a solo mum! At least I dont have an expectation someone should be helping!

Do you have a support network? I had my mum the first few years until she passed and it was a godsend. She came to IVF and was there on those few occasions I needed to pass DS to someone and say 'your turn, I just cant right now anymore'.

My stepdad now is a wonderful grandpa to DS and gives him that male role model and interaction I know is important to a kid.

I wish you a short and successful journey. Mine was 5 years and 7 miscarriages and an egg collection that almost killed me. But by FS said the chances of winning lotto were better than the odds of a person experiencing what I did. Darn it, I could do with a lotto win!!

#12 IamOzgirl

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:19 PM

I have support in non traditional ways. My parents live about 5hrs, but my cousin (who facilitated the introduction to the clinic) will support me through the IVF. As i will have to stay with her as the clinic is 3 hrs from me.

Her mother (my aunt) has offered support as much as she can, I actually realised she was was my closest relative and is retired so can drop everything and be by my side in the middle of the night if needed.

I have a bunch of friends who has said they will help as much as they can. and a friend texted me the other day to say her mum is hoping for a girl as she doesn't have a grand daughter (and probably never will) that was a lovely text to receive!

I am relatively financially secure too, however cleaning out my savings for IVF was worrying me. Which is one weight off my mind - i wont have to rush back to work, and wont feel the pressure too.

I could also if I want to (or need to) move to stay with my parents if required (while on Mat leave, if finances were tight or similar, or wasn't coping).

And if i am not coping i could decamp there for a week.

#13 Mollyksy

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:26 PM

Sounds like you are in a good position. I stayed with my mum after birth and that was fantastic. I still did most things but what was helpful was some nights I'd go to bed at 5pm and she'd wake me to return DS when she went to bed. DS had a cows milk protein intolerance not yet diagnosed so slept only 43 mins (exactly! One sleep cycle) at a time and screamed with pain and vomited with reflux a lot. I so thankful for those hours of sleep plus just the support of having someone reinforce I was doing all I could. Moral support!!

All the best.

#14 raspberry sherbert

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:40 PM

Wishing you all the best Ozgirl.

#15 Jo.F

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:06 PM

This makes me so happy Oz.  I wish you all the luck there is in the world and I will be following your journey and crossing everything for you the whole time xx

#16 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 29 June 2019 - 09:22 PM

My friend did this.  I supported her at the birth.  Her little daughter is sooooo scrumptious.

#17 ~ Ohana~

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:50 AM

Good luck x

#18 little lion

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:54 AM

Good luck. I think you sound as prepared as you can be.

#19 *melrose*

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:08 AM

Good luck OP. Sounds so exciting xx

#20 IamOzgirl

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:35 PM

Im so excited! My appointment is Monday!

I have had a bad week and this appointment has been keeping me going!

#21 cvbn

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:50 PM

So excited for you!

#22 BeachesBaby

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

Ozgirl - I so, so, so admire you for your strength, resilience, and desire to make the absolute best of your situation. As others have said, you can tell the naysayers thanks for your opinion, but no thanks. It sounds like you have a support system through friends and family, and I fully believe you’re going to be a amazing parent.
Please do keep us updated, I’m currently sitting at the ivf clinic waiting for a follicle scan, so welcome back to the ivf train! I hope your ride on it is short and sweet. xoxo

#23 BusbyWilkes

Posted 02 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

Everything crossed for you and sending lots of positive vibes.

#24 ckmelb

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:20 PM

How did it go yesterday OP?

#25 IamOzgirl

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:26 PM

Hello!

It went great. I love my new FS and how open she is about treatment plan etc.

Meet some of my clinic team and ordered the sperm!!

It's all happening :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.