Victorian Cursive handwriting

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 MooGuru

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:04 PM

This thread is giving me flashbacks to the nightmare of getting my pen licence.

#27 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:28 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 30 June 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

This thread is giving me flashbacks to the nightmare of getting my pen licence.
I write in pen illegally to this day lol

#28 kimasa

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:33 PM

I was the last in my class to get my pen license. Why my brain chooses to remember that, I have no idea.

#29 Christmas tree

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:46 PM

I learnt vic cursive. I still dislike the way it does b, k and p. But i do use it if in a hurry. It is faster just not as neat or pretty.

#30 atthebeach

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:18 PM

you can get writing books with 24mm lines and 18mm lines that have "grass, ground, sky" colours to help with letter formation. i'm in vic and very frustrated with the vic cursive that is taught in foundation. it hasn't helped either of my kids. there is a lazy 8 writing exercise on youtube that i have found very useful, but have had to re-teach my kids not to write p, b and z using the vic cursive style.
https://www.youtube....h?v=Ocn2SvhF_rc

#31 jewel2

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:27 PM

Glad I am not the only one who think Victoria cursive is horrid.

I write cursive but the letter b is a one that irritates me. I was taught cursive in Europe and the weird b is the first time I have ever seen a b formed like this. I do not think anyone in Europe would recognise is as a b.

My partner is a teacher and he is teaching my son to write the b the normal way as he feels it could be hard to read and mistaken for a letter L.

#32 Thylacine

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:58 PM

Just thought I'd add that Officeworks sell activity books using vic cursive, in case that's something you want to try over the holidays OP

#33 got my tinsel on

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:01 PM

I always write in cursive.  I was taught Modified Cursive in NSW in the 1960s.  It is sooooo much faster as you do not need to keep lifting your pen.

As far as pen licenses are concerned we weren't allowed to use ball point pens until we had mastered nib pens with ink!

When DD started learning script (NSW Foundation) I was horrified - some letters are script and some normal printing.  Awful, awful, awful!

#34 annodam

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:12 PM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cursive writing, I am saddened to read it is slowly dying out.
I still write using VIC cursive.
There's something really beautiful about handwritten cursive letters.
DD has resorted back to print & DS has a mixture of cursive & print.

PS:  I love the VIC cursive B!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.