What songs do you sing to your bub?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 PsySquirrel

Posted 30 June 2019 - 03:55 AM

I've been singing 'here comes the sun' from the beatles and substituting in lyrics for whatever we are doing 'little baby, you have a stinky poopy nappy...' for example.

The tune though is driving dh round the bend. Only thing is, its the only tune I can think of in my poor sleep deprived brain. What songs did/do you sing your bub?

Edited by PsySquirrel, 30 June 2019 - 03:55 AM.

#2 #mocha

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:36 AM

Winkin blinking and Nod, the lyrics are beautiful for a little ones imagination.

#3 Silver Girl

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:50 AM

Isn’t She Lovely
You Are My Sunshine
What a Day for a Daydream

#4 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:33 AM

I did similar to you OP with my first, except it was a bit of music from an opera, I’m not even sure which one! But I had made up lyrics about nappy changing, bath time, etc, it helped keep me entertained.

#5 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:42 AM

We did most of the Beatles hits with baby 1. I vividly remember first night home pacing the hall after midnight singing yellow submarine.

I was also known to do opera arias plus musicals (Les Mis, Evita, Joseph, JC Superstar etc).

We always play a variety of music genres around our kids. So our eldest at 14 loves David Bowie.

#6 Lunafreya

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:53 AM

Feed the Birds and Stay Awake from Mary Poppins

#7 Pooks Combusted

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

I sing Stay Awake too, Lunafreya.

Frere Jacques
The Mountains of Mourne
Grey Elephants
Hello by Adele (hello, it’s me, I was wondering if at some point you would consent to sleep?)

#8 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:26 AM

I had a whole bunch of songs I made up myself. I was surprisingly creative in  my sleep deprived haze. :D

#9 tayto...

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:34 AM

Teddy bears picnic - what Mum sang to us
Go to sleep my baby (subbed baby with their name) - what dad sang
Eidelweiss

Also did some Christmas carols during non festive season - they’re ingrained so easier during sleep deprived state!

#10 JomoMum

Posted 30 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

I used to sing whatever songs I liked at the time. They were mostly ones I’d been singing along to while DS was in my belly, so they were maybe somewhat familiar to him.

This baby will be born listening to the greatest showman and Aladdin albums.

#11 Mmmcheese

Posted 30 June 2019 - 12:18 PM

Hush little baby. She hates it now, sleep traumatised us all! Maybe choose a song that it's ok if you never sing it again incase it all goes pear shaped!

#12 Nobodyelse

Posted 30 June 2019 - 12:25 PM

You are my sunshine.
The sun will come up tomorrow.
Blackbird.

#13 froglett

Posted 30 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

Mockingbird. It still sends DD to sleep ;)

#14 Fresh Start

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:37 PM

Child 1 was You are my sunshine but I sang that thing like a demented banshee! It was like I was convincing myself she was my sunshine.

Child 2 was Hush little baby.

DD still likes to hear Sunshine occasionally, DS has me stop singing his song if I start!

#15 kimasa

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:11 PM

Fa La Nina

#16 Ellie bean

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:28 PM

Dh used to sing a lot of pearl jam lyrics to our babies
Like a pp I used to sing Christmas carols because they are so embedded in my brain they were the only lyrics I could remember

#17 maryanneK

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:09 PM

what a fun topic, I amuse myself singing to my baby....

when he's happy:

'You are so beautiful" ...especially funny when it me doing it in my best gravelley Joe Cocker voice... "You're everything I hoped for, you're everything I need.....you are so beautiful...to me'

plus a do a good James Blunt "Your beautiful..." too

When he's crying I do that tony childs song...cant remember what its called...but the lyrics- 'why do you look so sad, when the sky's aperfect blue, and your getting everything, that you ever wanted to....stop your fussing boy, please stop your fussing...."

plus a bit of tim minchin's lullaby doesnt go amiss !

#18 Bereckii

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:20 PM

Dream A Little Dream Of Me

#19 maryanneK

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:31 PM

Oh, I also do 'you are my sunshine' and the 'hush little baby, dont say a word' one. I always run out of lyrics though... "If that mocking bird dont sing, papa's going to buy you a diamond ring, if that diamind ring dont..something..papa's going to buy you a something something...'

#20 Contrebasse

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

We sing the mockingbird song with made up lyrics - can go on forever!

E.g. if that diamond ring’s too small, Daddy’s going to buy you a basketball
If that basketball goes flat, daddy’s going to buy you a fancy hat/angry cat/yoga mat/annoying gnat etc

Also ‘inanay ‘ by Tiddas

#21 Daffy2016

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:37 AM

So many many repetitions of ‘this is how we (do whatever) on a cold and frosty morning’ from playschool, subbing in the words for whatever we’re doing.

Also ‘hey ho and up she rises’ when I get her out of the bath. Also change the lyrics so we ‘roll her in a towel and then we dry her’ etc.

DH does the serious music but I just make up whatever comes to mind.

#22 vanilla_bear

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

I have been known to sing Tom Jones' 'Sex Bomb' but change the lyrics to 'Stink Bomb' when changing a smelly nappy.

Inappropriate?

#23 maryanneK

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostContrebasse, on 03 July 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

We sing the mockingbird song with made up lyrics - can go on forever!

E.g. if that diamond ring’s too small, Daddy’s going to buy you a basketball
If that basketball goes flat, daddy’s going to buy you a fancy hat/angry cat/yoga mat/annoying gnat etc

Also ‘inanay ‘ by Tiddas

that made me snort laugh

#24 BusbyWilkes

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

View Postvanilla_bear, on 03 July 2019 - 12:36 PM, said:

I have been known to sing Tom Jones' 'Sex Bomb' but change the lyrics to 'Stink Bomb' when changing a smelly nappy.

Inappropriate?

Mine (more to toddlers rather than babies) was "You can't always get what you want". Still used now on occasion with teenagers!

Inappropriate?

#25 Bono25

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

Elvis don't be cruel, guaranteed to always get ds to sleep, eventually...
The grand old Duke of York and jingle bells. Unfortunately, neither of my children appreciated my singing. It always made them cry louder! Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.