How to avoid scar on face

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jellybean 3

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:14 PM

My 6 yo had a bad fall today, splitting his chin open and requiring stitches and long traumatic hospital wait. Home and ok now but now I’m concerned about scarring. Can anyone recommend any cream or technique that has helped to reduce scarring? Thanks so much

#2 Soontobegran

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:24 PM

If he has required sutures there will be a scar however the face heals very well in a child and it will most likely fade in time and be almost invisible.
Vit E oil may help after the sutures are removed or dissolve but it depends more on where it is, how well it was sutured and genetics.

All my children have scars on their faces for some reason or another....it felt like a right of passage in out home.
None of the scars would be visible to others unless attention is drawn to them.

ETA....Some scars heal well with micropore type  tape flattening it   down but your doctor should advise if that is necessary.

Good luck.

Edited by Soontobegran, 03 July 2019 - 10:39 PM.

#3 eigne

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:32 PM

We were advised to keep the scar out of the sun and apply vit e cream along with gentle massaging of the scar tissue. She does still have a scar smack bang in the middle of her forehead, but c’est la vie!

PS, sorry about his injury. You must all have had an exhausting day.

Edited by eigne, 03 July 2019 - 10:34 PM.

#4 AdelTwins

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:31 PM

DS2 has a fine line above his eyebrow and one in his hair. There is a small bald spot where the hair didn’t grow back. Both are clearly visible if you are looking for any period of time. The one in the hair is obvious if his hair is brushed the wrong way or cut too short.

I have told him he can get the hair one fixed when he is older if it bothers him. He thinks they are cool. *shrug*

#5 Manicmum

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:43 PM

Dermatix

#6 Lou-bags

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:14 AM

Oh dear! I know exactly how horrible that experience is (from the parent perspective). Your poor DS. And you.

My DS1 had the exact same injury (split chin) at a younger age (so needed a GA for suturing) and unfortunately 2 weeks later had a second fall reopening the wound. Which was glued in a regional hospital- not Dr present to stitch and tele doc thought glue should hold. It didn’t. So he had a second set of sutures (under a GA again).

Despite all that, it healed beautifully and the scarring is hardly noticeable (it’s been 3 years now).

You will not believe the number of people you will encounter over the next few weeks while your DS’s injury is somewhat noticeable or spoken about who will say ‘oh I did that too!’ and then show you their scar on their chin, which you would never have noticed otherwise. Truly. This happened to us with so many people. It’s apparently it hugely common injury.

Best of luck for the healing process. My tip? NO bikes at the skate park until it’s completely healed ;)

#7 MissMilla

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:07 AM

I had stitches near my eyebrow when i was 2. Still clearly visible.
DS has one on his upper lip from an accident with a dog. It happened 1.5 years ago and he needed stitches. Im still rubbing on oil and we covered it with a bandaid all summer to avoid sun, but it didnt really help. Its very visible and hasnt changed much anymore in the last few months.

I was told to avoid direct sunlight and to massage it with oil. Used Bioil (because it worked wonders for me in my first pregnancy), and vit e which the dr recommended. Neither really helped.
I want to believe that over the years it will fade more and grow out a bit, but looking at my own face im not very confident.

#8 qak

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:25 AM

I used Dermascar for my DD - she somehow scraped her face (between nose and mouth) on the pebblecrete on the bottom of the pool.  There's a few varieties - I used the dearest one on the basis it had more active ingredients in it.

It worked - I had to really think about where she had to use it! It does take time though, and best to start using it early.

https://www.pricelin...brand/dermascar

Edited by qak, 04 July 2019 - 06:46 AM.

#9 Daffy2016

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:51 AM

If it’s any consolation, my very first boyfriend when I was 14 had a similar scar, and all the other 14 year old girls (including me) thought it was hugely attractive and dangerous-looking :lol:

I hope both you and your DS are feeling better today.

#10 BeachesBaby

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

Sunscreen is your best defense against the scar darkening over time. For a while the skin will be more sensitive, so over the next few years you’ll have to be religious about applying sunscreen specifically to that spot.

Also Mederma, which is advertised as “skincare for scars” really works well once it’s 100% healed and scarred over. You can’t use it until it’s completely healed, but it’s specific purpose is to minimize the look of scars, and I’ve had success with it. Sorry your child got hurt! I also split my chin open going over the handlebars of my bike. It’s just below my jaw, when your chin and neck meet, so you can’t notice it, but it’s a tiny white line still, probably 20+ years later.

#11 kerilyntaryn

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:02 AM

avoid the sun for the first 6 months, or good sunscream.  vit e cream and rose hip oil are great or aloe vera.  Bio-oil is good, a doctor recommended this for my daughter,  Cocoa butter with Vit E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.