Introducing new cat

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 lozoodle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:53 AM

Hi! I've fallen in love with a gorgeous 4 year old girl at the rspca who I am seriously consider adopting. Originally I wanted a kitten but this girl is just so loving and gorgeous, and you can tell she's just desperate for people.

I already have a 14 year old, very smoochy, cat at home.

What are your best tips for introducing a new cat to a household? I've done it with a kitten before, but not another adult cat. I know there will be a transition period for both, I just wanted to see if anyone had some advice for good ways to go about it?

#2 teaspoon

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

No advice but this post needs a pic :yes:

#3 born.a.girl

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

View Postteaspoon, on 09 July 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

No advice but this post needs a pic :yes:

I was coming in to say the same!

Sorry OP.

We introduced ours by having them separated for a bit, but able to sniff/engage with each other under the door.  Given our doors were shortened at some stage for carpet, that gave quite a gap.

Honestly sometimes some cats will just get on, other times they won't.

We have a middle aged cat who would much prefer to be an only cat, and she and the 8 x month old don't stop annoying each other all day.  The other cat just ignores the antics of the kitten and the kitten's given up trying to get a rise out of him.

#4 lozoodle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:10 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 09 July 2019 - 09:03 AM, said:

I was coming in to say the same!

Sorry OP.

We introduced ours by having them separated for a bit, but able to sniff/engage with each other under the door.  Given our doors were shortened at some stage for carpet, that gave quite a gap.

Honestly sometimes some cats will just get on, other times they won't.

We have a middle aged cat who would much prefer to be an only cat, and she and the 8 x month old don't stop annoying each other all day.  The other cat just ignores the antics of the kitten and the kitten's given up trying to get a rise out of him.

I was thinking that too, maybe separate rooms but a bit of under the door interaction and see how it goes. I don't need them to be best buddies, but some ability to co-exist peacefully is the goal.

#5 Sentient Puddle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:12 AM

^^ like born a girl - we kept the cats separated for a bit then gave the new cat time to explore the house alone and then introduced them.  We have had cats in the past that really should have been "only children" and our latest 2 rescues get on like a house on fire and have since day dot.  Very dependent on the cat.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:20 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 09 July 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

I was thinking that too, maybe separate rooms but a bit of under the door interaction and see how it goes. I don't need them to be best buddies, but some ability to co-exist peacefully is the goal.

Yes, would be nice if your 14yo didn't feel put out, or no longer feel their space was their own.

The one of ours that would prefer no other cats (and preferable the dogs would go to a good home, too) has her spaces that are only hers.  That does mean having kitty litter in that bedroom unfortunately.  She had a few spots, but eventually the kitten was able to get to them.

If there's any sign of tension you could do that - just keep a room that's only the older cat's and let it have peace there.

Is your older cat male or female?  There's supposed to be more success with mixed sexes, but that's not what we're finding. The two males are fine, but the male kitten can't stop annoying the 6yo female - who admittedly does take umbrage at his very presence.

#7 lozoodle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:23 AM

I'm trying so hard to get a pic to work but I'm struggling! Argh!

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:28 AM

You could just give a link to the rspca page and tell us her name, but of course you may not want to indicate where you are.

#9 lozoodle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:37 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 09 July 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

You could just give a link to the rspca page and tell us her name, but of course you may not want to indicate where you are.

OH DER, why didn't I think of that hahah! Ok here is the link. She's much prettier in person, I think she looks a little stressed in that pic, might have been when she first got in there

https://www.rspcansw...opt/pet/455055/

#10 Sentient Puddle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:40 AM

Just followed your link!!  Do it - do it - do it!

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:47 AM

She's absolutely beautiful.  I'd say she looks a bit embarrassed that they've photographed her in the kitty litter.

It must be so stressful for the cats in shelters, it's a wonder any of them are calm.

#12 Romeo Void

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:56 AM

Oh wow...she's stunning!  We introduced a boy cat to our house a couple of years ago, this is what worked for us. Now mind...it took weeks and weeks (dare I say, months?) for them to stop bickering and start liking each other.
Feliway, the spray bottle is just as easy as the plug in and less expensive.  Spray on corners of furniture and on door jambs etc.
A diffuser with peppermint oil.  I've used this just this week (we moved house). My cats are so chilled it's like they're stoned.  My boy cat became stressed a few days before the move (packing up) and started spraying everywhere. I caught him 5 times the day of the move..I'd hate to think how many I didn't see :(  I was worried he's go mental and spray everywhere in the new house but the peppermint (and Feliway) has them so chilled they're not even interested in checking outside.

#13 lozoodle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:04 AM

I was actually looking at another one but my daughter drew my attention to her as she had her hand in the cage and she was headbutting and purring madly, then she rolled over and did the belly show thing and I was like "ok this cat wants us".

I just called them, she's still available so we will go there this afternoon and see.

DP said no by the way (says we have too many animals, whatever! what does he know!), but he also said "I know what you are like and I'll get over it" which I take as a yes ha hahahaha

#14 Chicken Pie

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

Separate rooms, ensure current cat has lots of cuddles and introduce them for short periods at a time while you there

ensure both cats have spaces to hide and climb to get away when the other cat annoys them

it takes a little time

#15 lozoodle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:12 AM

So I guess if we go ahead with it.... the real question is what do we name her? I know I could keep it as Nora but.. mmm. not sure.

#16 Bandwagon

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:03 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 09 July 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

I was actually looking at another one but my daughter drew my attention to her as she had her hand in the cage and she was headbutting and purring madly, then she rolled over and did the belly show thing and I was like "ok this cat wants us".

I just called them, she's still available so we will go there this afternoon and see.

DP said no by the way (says we have too many animals, whatever! what does he know!), but he also said "I know what you are like and I'll get over it" which I take as a yes ha hahahaha

She looks really sweet. If you have ‘too many animals’, he won’t even notice an extra.

I’d love to get another cat, but one lot of poo is enough for me at this stage.

#17 lozoodle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:15 AM

View PostBandwagon, on 09 July 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

She looks really sweet. If you have ‘too many animals’, he won’t even notice an extra.

I’d love to get another cat, but one lot of poo is enough for me at this stage.

I said to him "and you have enough cars" haha

#18 Froyo

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:15 AM

View PostChicken Pie, on 09 July 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

Separate rooms, ensure current cat has lots of cuddles and introduce them for short periods at a time while you there

ensure both cats have spaces to hide and climb to get away when the other cat annoys them

it takes a little time
Exactly this. And I think Nora suits her. She's adorable.

#19 teaspoon

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

Nora is a lovely name - you can really draw it out when you're calling for her.

Speaking of which, I read recently the origins of the expression, "Bloody Nora" - it's not what you'd think

https://www.theguard...,-24596,00.html

#20 bubskitkat

Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:58 PM

She’s beautiful and it sounds like she chose you.

I like the name Nora.

#21 rainycat

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

I love the name Nora, it really suits her.

#22 lozoodle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:01 PM

Well she’s currently in my room sussing the place out. I’m leaving her to it for a while.

DP might kill me.

#23 kadoodle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:42 PM

Why would he kill you? Everyone needs an extra cat.

#24 lozoodle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 09 July 2019 - 06:42 PM, said:

Why would he kill you? Everyone needs an extra cat.

My sentiments exactly!

He’ll get over it. He’s on his way home I’ll see how it goes haha

My existing cat doesn’t seem to give a damn so that’s positive.

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:05 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 09 July 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

Well she’s currently in my room sussing the place out. I’m leaving her to it for a while.

DP might kill me.

You need my husband.

We were minding our daughter's boyfriend's kitten while he was o/s.  Husband commented that we'd 'need to buy him a larger bed, soon', and I reminded him that he wasn't our cat.

He looked a bit crestfallen.

Mind you, without the big backstory, said kitten is still living here.

View Postlozoodle, on 09 July 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

My sentiments exactly!

He’ll get over it. He’s on his way home I’ll see how it goes haha

My existing cat doesn’t seem to give a damn so that’s positive.

That's great. In my experience you'd soon know.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.