Introducing new cat

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#26 lozoodle

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:38 PM

Yup I agree, I think maybe my older girl is old enough now that she knows she owns the place and doesn't give a toss. I have dogs too that are mostly outdoors and whenever they're in her face playing she just tolerates it, isn't fussed. I know that's different to another cat as its not the same issue with territory, but still shows her temperament in that she just walks away rather than has confrontation a lot of the time. She seems happy as usual, she's currently snuggled in my 10 year olds arms in bed with her as usual where she will stay all night.

New cat is in bed with DP. So much for not wanting her, though he will never admit it ever. ha ha. All in all seems to be fine, I haven't been murdered or made newly single as a result :p

#27 Kafkaesque

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:17 PM

Yay for adopting a cat! We foster so regularly have new cats coming through. We set up one room, usually our room and en-suite, with litter and food. New cat is initially left in there for a day or so and then just allowed to explore at their own pace. We have an outside cat run where the other cats escape to if they don’t want to be with the newbie. It takes awhile for new ones to work out the cat door so gives everyone space from each other.

Sometimes takes a few weeks for everyone to stop hissing but usually it’s successful and they all get along or at the least ignore each other.

ETA. We currently have three all of which sleep in our bed every night 😖 when our four year old turns up it’s squishy!

Edited by Kafkaesque, 09 July 2019 - 10:18 PM.

#28 born.a.girl

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:01 AM

View PostKafkaesque, on 09 July 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

Yay for adopting a cat! We foster so regularly have new cats coming through. We set up one room, usually our room and en-suite, with litter and food. New cat is initially left in there for a day or so and then just allowed to explore at their own pace. We have an outside cat run where the other cats escape to if they don’t want to be with the newbie. It takes awhile for new ones to work out the cat door so gives everyone space from each other.

Sometimes takes a few weeks for everyone to stop hissing but usually it’s successful and they all get along or at the least ignore each other.

ETA. We currently have three all of which sleep in our bed every night when our four year old turns up it’s squishy!

Gosh, what a lot of experience you have.

Despite the hissing and brawls that the six year old and the eight month old kitten have (because the six year old should be an 'only'), they can't be within 12 feet of each other without a barney of some sort, when they both get on our bed, it's total calm.  Bizarre.

The kitten slept on our bed the whole night for the first time (usually with daughter and boyfriend) & he's heavier than the six year old, who actually prefers to sleep on my legs.

Husband watched the Tour de France so came to bed in the early hours.  Him trying to find a way to get into bed without disturbing either of the cats was pretty funny.

#29 lozoodle

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:31 AM

Thanks everyone you've all been so helpful!

I've set up a base for her in my room, she's got her food, scratching pole etc, some toys and in my ensuite is her litter tray. She spent the first hour or so hiding out under the bed as expected and she's still a little timid but also insists on loving all over you and is quite playful.

I had to laugh as she insisted on snuggling up to DP all night. He claims its because he's warm, I said she she's you as a challenge and she's determined to win you over hahaha. Anyway so far so good.

My 14 year old girl slept in with my 10 year old as usual, she's mainly indoor but does go out for a little while each morning so she went out as usual, scratched her favourite tree and came back in and is now curled up asleep under the heater on the table next to me while I work from home, so she's not seeming to bothered but I have caught her sniffing around my bedroom door.

I brought out the towel that was in the new cat's carrier and left it out here so my older cat can sniff it which she has a bit. I thought maybe in a few days time I'd have them swap areas so they can explore each other's scent without having to deal with the other cat being there?

As for introduction, I'm not sure when - I read some stuff about feeding them at the same time on either side of the door so they can be aware of each other but have it be at a positive time with a distraction? Is that the sort of thing worth giving a go? There's a fairly sizeable gap under the door so they'll be able to see each other which is good.

I just don't want to rush it and have it be a negative thing. I don't care if all they do is ignore each other after the initial hissing stage, I just don't want them to hate each other.

#30 lozoodle

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:49 AM

oh I forgot about my balcony door on my room being glass, and older cat was out on the deck and spotted new cat ha ha.

Stared at her for a bit. Hissed, then walked away uninterested. I suppose that's not bad. I gave her pats and she's wandering around like normal again.

I guess that's a good way to see each other though, they can see everything through it.

#31 limakilo

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:19 PM

More photos please!

#32 lozoodle

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:13 AM

View Postlimakilo, on 11 July 2019 - 06:19 PM, said:

More photos please!

Ok here she is being loved to death by my DD :)

Attached Files

• Attached File  Milo.jpg   82.11K   147 downloads

#33 lozoodle

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

Soooo how much angst is normal? New cat had her own room for a few days and I was doing all the slowly slowly introduction, having them eat near either side of the door etc without seeing each other, but they've now had to meet over the weekend due to new cat being a smarty pants who has learnt how to open door handles and escape.

There's expected hissing and glaring, but there's also been a few instances of charging at each other. I'm continuing to keep it light when I'm around, no one is getting in trouble and i'm trying all the positive reinforcement i can. I expect this will take time and patience, but how long does it usually go on for before they settle to a level of ignoring one another with occasional hisses?

Hisses I can handle, but worrying they're about to kill each other is what I'm talking about. They ARE separated when I am not home, much to the dismay of new cat (who I might add is the one doing all the charging).

#34 cardamom

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 15 July 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

There's expected hissing and glaring, but there's also been a few instances of charging at each other. I'm continuing to keep it light when I'm around, no one is getting in trouble and i'm trying all the positive reinforcement i can. I expect this will take time and patience, but how long does it usually go on for before they settle to a level of ignoring one another with occasional hisses?

Hisses I can handle, but worrying they're about to kill each other is what I'm talking about. They ARE separated when I am not home, much to the dismay of new cat (who I might add is the one doing all the charging).

I can't remember how long it took, but mine eventually settled down to a state of mutual disdain and avoidance. From memory I think I was able to leave them unseparated during the work day after about week 2.

By charging I assume you mean one cat chasing/launching/pouncing on the other? My younger one still does that, annoyingly - usually when she wants attention. She wants to play and the older one doesn't want a bar of it.

I'm not much help because my introductions weren't as carefully implemented as I'd have liked (new cat was uber confident and not happy with the gentle confinement we had planned - yowled the house down!) but if it's at all encouraging, 4 years on and they've settled into a reasonably companionable relationship.

They're not best buddies and there's still the occasional (unclawed) swipes and hisses when the little one annoys the older one, but for the most part they don't mind each other. They're both curled up next to me asleep at the moment. Every now and then I catch them rubbing noses or grooming each other and I just about squeal with the cuteness.

Good luck!

ETA - by unclawed swipe I mean a friendly swipe with a soft paw with the claws retracted - realised after I posted that it might sound like I've declawed them!

Edited by cardamom, 15 July 2019 - 03:09 PM.

#35 born.a.girl

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:26 PM

Hmmm, ours are no-where near amicable disdain.  The bigger partly outdoor cat just ignores the 8 x month old so when said kitten has a go at him, it's like water off a duck's back.

The other completely indoor cat, though, hates him with a passion and will hiss and growl if he's in the area.  Of course this just riles him, and if she runs off, he's off in hot pursuit.

It's definitely resulted in fur flying rather than some innocent biffo, and they sound like tomcats on the loose in spring.  Of course that gets the dog barking and then everyone's wound up.

I've used water spray fairly successfully with the younger one to stop him in his tracks.   I'm not sure how successful positive reinforcement is, for cats, who certainly don't recognise us as their superiors.

I'm hoping that as he gets older he'll be a bit more sensible and not pounce on her as much, because she's now at the point where she's launch herself at him to teach him a lesson, and he's gone from being 300g to heavier than her.

#36 cardamom

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:51 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 15 July 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

I've used water spray fairly successfully with the younger one to stop him in his tracks.   I'm not sure how successful positive reinforcement is, for cats, who certainly don't recognise us as their superiors.

Water spray definitely works on our agitator but I admit I can be a bit inconsistent - by the time I go and get the spray she's often stopped doing the naughty thing, sigh.

There's been the occasional yowling/riled up scrap but thankfully nothing too serious. I feel a bit bad for our older cat, her life would have been much happier as an only and I think it caused her a considerable amount of stress in the early days - but I couldn't resist the ginger face of the naughty monkey at the shelter. Ah well.

#37 lozoodle

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:02 PM

We just had what I will call some positive progress!

I got home and greeted my old girl and then let new girl out and did my best to ignore them. New cat walked up the hall where old girl was and old girl hissed and did a little warning growl but stayed put. New girl stopped in her tracks and ended up wandering off, so I gave them both a treat. My old cat was still a bit too tense to eat but with some pats and encouragement she ended up eating even with new cat wandering around. She’s outside now for a wander while new cat has run of the place but it was a good 20 mins or so without drama and no hissing at all from the new cat.

Pretty good for a week in I think all in all :)

#38 born.a.girl

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:48 PM

I just went back to compare the photos.

In the second one with your daughter, she's definitely got a 'I think I've found my place' look on her face. :)

#39 lozoodle

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:06 PM

Ok further progress, they just both ate all of their dinner with about 5 metres between them. Old cat was still more nervous but relatively ok.

Young cat doesn't seem to give a toss anymore. She's now playing with my kids with old girl supervising. They're fairly close now too, see pic, I call it progress again. I'm so happy as this is only the third day they've seen each other in person.

Attached File  IMG_3828.jpg   109.37K   120 downloads

#40 born.a.girl

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:43 PM

Is that a cat box I see?

No cat home is complete without a cardboard box or two for the cat/s.

Remember the days of Tuckerbag supermarkets and the brown paper carry bags?  Friends sold their unit, and the poor cat had been deprived of their bag entertainment while the unit had been on the market.   After being sold they agreed for agent to show through family members one day while they were at work, forgetting that they'd saved said bags, and had them artfully arranged all over the unit for the cat to enjoy - and I mean extensive!  Hope they were cat people.

#41 lozoodle

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:58 PM

All cats need boxes!! :)

#42 limakilo

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:58 PM

I thought my cats were trying to kill each other for the first week, I think I even posted here about it way back when.
Feliway helped us, I just bought a spray.

#43 born.a.girl

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 15 July 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

I'm quite convince no cat on earth ever suffers from claustrophobia.   The tiny spaces they shove their heads into, hopefully thinking their body may also fit is endless.

#44 lozoodle

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:18 PM

Tonight has been SO good. It seems to have reduced to just a slight low grumble from the older one if the new cat gets too close, but the new cat isn't bothered by her at all and is just going about her business which I think is making the older one much more calm. She's been sitting on her favourite chair for close to three hours now with the little one around, overall pretty good.

By the way we did end up changing her name - my girls named her Milo and she seems to have learnt it already :)

#45 born.a.girl

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:12 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 15 July 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

There is a limit.

I'll see if I can take a photo. While we were overseas our daughter and her boyfriend built a McMansion for the cats. Daughter is quite creative and it's pretty good, but takes up soooo much space, and I feel mean suggesting it's going to have to go at some stage.

Little beggars run into it, too, when they know I'm trying to catch one to segregate them when they start brawling.

#46 lozoodle

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:28 PM

Update - we have graduated to them being able to co-exist and be allowed in the house together while we aren't here. They had a whole day together today, arrived home to find both sleeping (but not together) and looking quite content :)

#47 *Spikey*

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:50 AM

Aw, that's so good. I am sure that they will soon be snoozing together (all it takes is one really cold, gloomy day).

#48 born.a.girl

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:18 AM

View Post*Spikey*, on 18 July 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

Aw, that's so good. I am sure that they will soon be snoozing together (all it takes is one really cold, gloomy day).

I think hell would freeze over before that happened with our two.

Daughter's boyfriend wasn't here last night (his kitten, it sleeps with him) so he wandered around the house yowling, and when he wandered into our bedroom the other would start hissing and biffing him over the edge of the bed.

Hard to get back to sleep after that.

I must get the feliway and see if it helps our girl.

#49 Romeo Void

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

Feliway or peppermint oil/essence if you have it around, I've even used the cooking type and it also also seems to help (peppermint is related to catnip)

Edited by Romeo Void, 18 July 2019 - 08:45 AM.

#50 born.a.girl

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

View PostRomeo Void, on 18 July 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

Feliway or peppermint oil/essence if you have it around, I've even used the cooking type and it also also seems to help (peppermint is related to catnip)

I'll try the Feliway first.

Daughter's boyfriend has grown both catnip and cat grass. The two troublesome ones have both completely ignored it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.