Despising a character in a book

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 EsmeLennox

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:20 PM

It’s about privilege (Gatsby), I think...they just didn’t use that word in the way we do, then.

#52 MrsCee

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:37 PM

Alec D’Uberville in “Tess Of The D’Uervilles”. He’s manipulative, cruel and is a case study in gaslighting. He believes in his own privilege and takes what he wants, when he wants.

He destroys Tess’ life at every stage.

#53 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

The character Heath Ledger played in Candy.  I read the book before seeing the movie.  He was a flat out a*s*hole.

#54 Molondy

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:46 PM

View Poststeppy, on 09 July 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

Yes, often. I've even totally despised a character and then fallen in love with them (Thomas Covenant).

Oh totally. It took me three goes to get through the first series because of this issue!

#55 Molondy

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:52 PM

The only character I can remember truly despising in recent years was the lead character in the Paullina Simmons novel Song in the Daylight.

#56 steppy

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:36 PM

I read "the bus on thursday" recently and I semi-despised that character. She was a bit too pathetic to totally despise but yeah, I didn't really enjoy meeting her.

#57 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:36 PM

Harry Potter, a whiny, self obsessed pain in the neck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.