Can I request Induction?

28 replies to this topic

#1 150watson

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:01 AM

Hi All,

I am currently 32+4 weeks pregnant. With my second child.

With my first pregnancy, I was induced 2 days post due date. Bub was not ready to come out what so ever, and I was apparently completely closed but was induced due to my age and the possibility of higher risks involved from 35yrs and up.

This time, I am now 37 years old. Bub #2 is due on Sept 1st, and although I would like to go into labour naturally, I am hoping that I can request an induction around 2 weeks prior. Can this be done? Can anyone tell me of their early induction request?

I would be looking at induction on Aug 16th, and I will be 37+4 weeks

Reason being, My husband who is 32 was diagnosed with Stage 3 Cancer back in January, and has since had surgery to remove the tumor, but has now just started a 6mth course of Chemo treatment. So we are hoping to work around that so as he can be at the birth.

Can anyone tell me of their experience in requesting this, and length of labour etc. I am going to a Private Hospital.

Thanks in advance.

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:06 AM

I have absolutely no advice, but just wanted to wish you all the best with both outcomes.

#3 Mose

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

I was induced at 38+5 both times.

Number 1 was because I had entirely run out of fluid - no waters breaking or anything, just fluid had always been low and it finally got down below the obstetrician's tolerance of 5cm total.

Induction was a long day (hospital at 830am, delivery just before midnight) and was eventally delivered by forceps.

Number 2, I said to the obstetrician the week before that as Christmas was coming, how open would she be to scheduling an induction.  I was expecting her to say it would be ok after 40 weeks (which would still have been well before christmas), but given my age and prior complications, she said "how about wednesday", being exactly the same gestation as DS.

Induction number 2 was all much quicker and easier - apparently I was in early labour on arrival anyway.  The main complications related to the epidural and my blood pressure (DH informs me that when the top number got down to 55 a panic button was pressed - I do not remember this, only coming around to a room full of people).  Induction was started in the end around 10am I think and delivery just before 7pm.  No other intervention required - the midwife went to check dilation about 6pm so she could report to the ob and was like, umm, I can see your kid's head.

It is definitely worth having the conversation, albeit under 39 weeks the ob might be (justifiably) reluctant.

Sorry to hear about your DH, that sounds really stressful.

#4 Ellie bean

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:13 AM

My ob- private hospital- was very happy to induce me at 39 weeks due to severe pelvic girdle pain, beyond that I have no experience but definitely talk to your ob, I’m sure they will do everything they can. Wishing you all the best

#5 literally nobody

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:18 AM

From what I was told they won’t do it before 39 weeks.

#6 Hands Up

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

Best of luck. I was induced at 39 weeks for DS2 as I had to have grandparents fly in to look after DS1. My OB would not have considered it earlier. 37+4 does sound very early so I’m not sure..... hope it all works out for you.

#7 Apple14

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:42 AM

I was induced at 39 weeks.
I think they will say 37+4 will be too early for induction.

#8 Fossy

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:52 AM

You need to have a frank discussion  with your ob,
but honestly I think you’d be very unlikely to find someone willing to do a social induction so early, the risks to both you and your baby are too high.  The likelihood you’d require a Caesarian and have a baby requiring breathing assistance  and special care is high, and given your current cirucimatanacss I can’t imagine that would be ideal.

Is there a reason for the early date? Is that during a break from his chemo?  Is he doing IV or oral.
Maybe see how he does? Chemotherapy is very well tolerated these days, with a lot of people even continuing to work whilst doing treatment.
It’s not like the old days where they used to dose
Everyone to the eyeballs.

Good luck to you both, thinking of you

Edited by Fossy, 12 July 2019 - 10:53 AM.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:53 AM

I was induced at what I thing was 39+2.

Basically I went to an appointment on my due date, they said not till then so I went back for the induction the day they told me too

I was perfectly happy to leave it to them

I was induced in the afternoon and my son was born the next day in the early hours, I was home a few hours after that all fit and well (this was not saying what others would be like)

Edited by seayork2002, 12 July 2019 - 10:56 AM.

#10 lucky 2

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

The earlier baby is born, the more chance of complications in the newborn period as baby is less mature.
They are complications that can be managed, ie poor feeding, jaundice etc but caring for your baby might be even more time consuming and disruptive than a full term infant.
For those reasons, it might be better for your family, unwell dh, to have a term baby to care for and still have dh involved?
Of course complications can crop up with a full term newborn, there are no guarantees either way.

All the best for whatever is decided. x

#11 Crazyone26989

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:45 AM

I know “they” say 37 weeks is full term but recent studies have shown poorer outcomes for babies born before 39 weeks. This has resulted in the USA changing term to 39-40weeks as they were apparently experiencing a lot of “social” inductions in the 37 and 38th week. Maybe keep that in mind when discussing with your OB.

#12 gatheringpieces

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

You would have to put up a very strong argument for that early an induction.
If you have specific dates for your husband's treatment, take all that information with you when you go to discuss it.

Best wishes xx

#13 rosie28

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:11 PM

I think you’ll have a tough argument for an induction before 38 weeks, most OBs prefer 39 weeks and certainly 38, and that’s with clinical indications for mother and/or baby. But all you can do is ask and see what they say. 37 weeks means greater risks of lots of things, including feeding difficulties, so it’s a hard one.

#14 Zippypeaks

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:18 PM

You can always ask. I went private with both my babies. First, induced at 38 weeks due to fetal distress. Second, induced at 37 weeks because I was so jack of being pregnant (baby was 4.6kg). Plant the seed early and ask to have something booked, that way, when it comes time to wanting to be induced, you don't have to wait 2 days/5 days whatever it is, for a booking space to be available.

#15 EmmDasher

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:04 PM

I was induced at 38.0 weeks with my second at my obs offer. But, I’d been in pre-labour for weeks and on drugs to stop it. I was 3cm dilated and fully effaced and I have previously been induced, no issue. The induction did nothing more than trip the switch and I laboured easily for about 1.5hrs (no epi) before she was born.

You can ask but I doubt they’ll commit at this stage. If you’re looking ready anyway they might agree closer to the time.

#16 Lallalla

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:53 PM

You can but ask, I’ve heard of it happening for extenuating circumstances. But that is early - I know it’s counted as full term but it can still result in a stay in NICU for breathing or special care for feeding. Babies only develop sucking ability at 37 weeks, so your baby wouldn’t have to be far behind (or your dates be out by much) for this to be an issue.

My twins were born by c-section at 38 weeks on the dot (because twins risk of still birth goes through roof after that), they were fine, but it was not taken as a given by the hospital that they would be even though there was no indication anything would be wrong. There was an incubator and a paediatrician per baby lined up and ready to go in the theatre.

#17 boysescakes

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:54 PM

I asked to be induced, but I was spot on 39 weeks. He had absolutely no issues with it.
But I guess it really depends on your OB and what they are comfortable with?

#18 MissMilla

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

I was induced at 39 weeks due to low fluids. They actually noticed the low fluids at 37+5, but they tried to push the induction as long as possible. I had to go in for an ultrasound everyday to check on the fluids until 39 weeks when they finally agreed to do it.
They might do it since you have a good reason, but usually they try to wait.

I was induced before 38 weeks because my mums best friend had her wedding around my due date and she didnt want to miss it or still be sore -.- but that was over 30 years ago and not in Australia 😂

#19 Bugster

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

You can ask but like the others have said it may be hard to get an ob to agree to a date before 39 weeks. Sorry

I had to push very hard for an induction with my 4th (I wanted it due to previous precipitous births) they initially refused then agreed but only on or after 39 weeks. Bub came at 38+3 spontaneously.

Good luck

#20 JBH

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:37 PM

A friend went through this, also in extenuating circumstances. Her OB was willing to induce at her appointment between 37 and 38 weeks if an internal exam showed signs of readiness for labour. He said that with no signs of readiness the likelihood for a successful induction was low, and that she would be better off with an elective c-section in those circumstances (although his preference would have been to wait).

Edit: realised might be insensitive - apologies OP.

Edited by JBH, 12 July 2019 - 06:19 PM.

#21 BusbyWilkes

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

Sorry that you find yourself in this situation.

If you can't have the baby safely on the dates that fit with your husbands chemo schedule, it may be worth talking to his oncologist to see if you can change the timing of his treatment. A friend had a 2 week break in treatment (instead of the usual 1 week) for a different "social" reason like yours. Obviously depends on medical advice, but it would be worth considering.

#22 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:05 PM

View PostBusbyWilkes, on 12 July 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

Sorry that you find yourself in this situation.

If you can't have the baby safely on the dates that fit with your husbands chemo schedule, it may be worth talking to his oncologist to see if you can change the timing of his treatment. A friend had a 2 week break in treatment (instead of the usual 1 week) for a different "social" reason like yours. Obviously depends on medical advice, but it would be worth considering.

that sounds like a much better idea :)

#23 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:35 PM

I was booked for a CS at 38 weeks as I wasn't allowed to go into labour for medical reasons. That was the earliest my OB was happy with and luckily I was showing no signs of bubs coming earlier.

I would look at seeing if the cancer schedule can be tweaked first.

#24 bluesilk

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:35 PM

I was offered an induction after 38 weeks, after experiencing some complications.

#25 Mollycoddle

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:46 PM

I would just let things develop as they will. Anything to do with health is unpredictable, chemo may also involve complications. Speaking from experience, my sister is going through it at the moment and has suffered every side effect from every drug from stroke to heart failure, currently in hospital for the best part of the past month and has been told she can come home at least once a week but then something else comes up.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 12 July 2019 - 09:46 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.