which water bottle is easiest to keep clean? we have mould!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 katiebear26

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:26 AM

We have a range of water bottles for school, home, and bedtime but i've realised most of them are starting to get mucky and possibly mouldy in this cold winter weather.

(first winter in our current location, so didn't have this issue before!)

looking for recommendations of water bottles suitable for 4 year old that are easy to wash and keep clean, therefore not lots of parts that stick together where mould and gunk can gather.

we have contigo, tommee tippee and cotton on bottles, they are so hard to dry in the nooks and crannies!

TIA...

#2 BornToLove

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:47 AM

I personally like camelbak bottles for DD. We still have bottles from when she was in child care (she’s in year 4 now).

It all goes in the dishwasher and kept clean fairly easily. However, you can get replacement silicone spouts so if they do get mouldy, you can replace it and kept the rest of the bottle.

#3 katiebear26

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:54 AM

but doesn't water build up in the lid? our contigo bottles are similar. i honestly don't want to have to pull them apart every day to wash and dry as i'm hopeless at putting them back together.

we put them in dishwasher, I wonder is that the issue???

Edited by katiebear26, 13 July 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#4 rosie28

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

We use the Kathmandu kids ones and have never had a problem, they go in the dishwasher and then air dry completely before we put them away.

#5 Riotproof

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:20 AM

Plastics never dry completely in the dishwasher. I always put ours on the rack to air dry afterwards.

#6 katiebear26

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:24 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 13 July 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

Plastics never dry completely in the dishwasher. I always put ours on the rack to air dry afterwards.

yep do this, but still get build up. i wish my dishwasher dried things well too!

#7 Riotproof

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

I don’t know. Maybe try storing not assembled?

#8 EmmDasher

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

I’ve ended up with Camelback. It doesn’t attract mould as badly as Contigo and there are fewer crevices. It’s still spillproof. I don’t like the lid as much as Contigo but if it does get mould I can replace the silicon spout & straw alone without buying a new bottle/lid.

#9 Leslie Knope

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:32 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 13 July 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

This.

#10 EmmDasher

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:33 AM

Also, pretty sure my kids bottles get mouldy because of food residue and backwash and drinking with their whole mouth over the spout. I’ve had the same water bottles as them and mine have never developed mould.

#11 Riotproof

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:40 AM

Ds is terrible for backwash. I can’t get him to stop doing it, but I find it doesn’t seem to happen with his contigo cortland bottle. Maybe because the opening is so small?

#12 EmmDasher

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

I don’t think we’ve had the cortland. We’ve had the Contigo push button, pop up spout ones and there is a crevice at the base of the mouth piece that always goes mouldy for my kids and I think it’s them spreading food residue in it while eating. Such a shame because I otherwise love the bottles.

#13 Riotproof

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

It’s this one. https://www.everten....blue-720ml.html The inside of the lid has a hinged bit which is for cleaning. Like the auto seal travel mug if you’ve got one of those.

Ds won’t use drink bottles with a straw and is also really  hopeless at remembering to close them, but I am going to have to email where I bought it as the valve button broke. Not happy about 6 months use for a $30 drink bottle.

#14 AdelTwins

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:15 AM

Camelbak Eddy are the only ones that have lasted here. Bite valves are replaceable and they are put through the dishwasher and dried on a rack.

#15 ~ Ohana~

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:22 AM

We use the camelback kids Eddy. We’ve had ours for 3 years and just replace the valves if they’re a bit gross. But in saying that, we’ve never had an issue with mould. Ours are washed every night and not reassembled until they’re filled back up. We also have 3 on rotation per kid. They’re the only water bottles we’ve ever bought, so a great investment!

#16 EmmDasher

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:34 AM

The only thing I don’t like about the Camelback is that if you push hard on the spout it all collapses into the drink bottle and then the kids just pour all the water out on themselves (the toddler not the bigger kid).

#17 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:57 AM

We have never had an issue with the camelback eddy bottles. You have to disassemble them though or how do they get clean? I always take the straw off, but sometimes leave the mouthpiece in the lid, but it still needs complete disassembly now and then. All goes in the dishwasher. Plus now and then I’ll use a straw brush to give the straw and mouth piece a good scrub. But the dishwasher gets 95% of the dirt off.

#18 RynandStompy

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:00 PM

Avex, they're great and easy to clean everywhere. No straw, which we prefer. DD was fine with hers from age 4. Each bottle lid lasts about 2years, the bottle part longer. So amazingly cost effective.
And they don't leak when on their sides. Brilliant at stopping wet car seats!

#19 EmmDasher

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:29 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 13 July 2019 - 11:57 AM, said:

We have never had an issue with the camelback eddy bottles. You have to disassemble them though or how do they get clean? I always take the straw off, but sometimes leave the mouthpiece in the lid, but it still needs complete disassembly now and then. All goes in the dishwasher. Plus now and then I’ll use a straw brush to give the straw and mouth piece a good scrub. But the dishwasher gets 95% of the dirt off.

Pretty much any drink bottle that’s sold as ‘leakproof’ will need to be pulled apart to clean properly because there will be a valve or some other physical magic somewhere to stop the water pouring out. If you can do without leakproof then cleaning becomes easy peasy because you can just get a lid with a hole in it.

FWIW I just rinse the bottles and only do the full pull apart once a week or so. We have a straw cleaning brush that I use frequently too.

#20 José

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:47 PM

i love our ecococoon bottles

#21 Drat

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:13 PM

DD has a camelbak Eddy which has gotten funky once and generally doesn't leak.

However, she loves my nike drink bottles. They don't leak and area easy enough for a kid to drink from!

They are really good

https://www.rebelspo...le-M529445.html

#22 JomoMum

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 13 July 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

This. Our 5yo uses the bottles from cotton on kids. Easy to use, durable, don’t leak.
We put all pieces in the dishwasher and store them in a drawer unassembled so they can dry completely.

#23 seayork2002

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:58 PM

We have used stainless steel screw top ones since DS1 was in fyos, he unscrews to drink them.

I dry upside done after hand washing and never had an issue

#24 Hands Up

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:05 PM

We bought Nike water bottles for the kids and they’ve been great. They get washed in the dishwasher. They are 18 months old and going strong.

#25 ~J_F~

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:51 PM

We also have Nike water bottles. We wash them in the dishwasher then refill for the fridge. They are a couple of years old now and still going strong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.