Smart TVs - apps

9 replies to this topic

#1 Grrrumbles

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

We have an older Samsung Smart Tv and a Samsung Smart DVD player attached. Over the years the apps have been removed - the worst was when they took Skype off as we specifically bought the model with the camera and had used it lots.

The TV works fine and we have no wish to upgrade but we can hardly use any apps anymore. I just started a trial with Amazon Prime - they have just withdrawn the app for our Samsung model at the start of the month.

We can use IPads to cast but we would much prefer to have the app on the Tv or DVD player.

We would buy a new Apple TV or similar if it had ABC iview, the other free to air channel apps as well as Netflix, Stan and Amazon but none of them seem to have everything.

Any suggestions? It is built in obsolescence, surely people don’t upgrade their TVs that often?

#2 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:33 PM

Playstation 4 for us (although SBS dumped their app access last year)

We use Stan, Amazon, Netflix, ABC iView, Foxtel Now, 7plus and YouTube

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 14 July 2019 - 03:36 PM.

#3 Grrrumbles

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:47 PM

Thanks, unfortunately we have a newish Nintendo Switch now so not looking to update our Playstation.

#4 José

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:52 PM

when you say older what do you mean?

im thinking people probably mostly do upgrade their tvs often.

#5 Grrrumbles

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:58 PM

Less than 10 years for the TV. The DVD player is 3 years old.

I really do try and get the most out of any big purchase we make both from a cost and environmental point of view.

It seems to me the point of a smart TV is to use the smart functions but they withdraw support for them so quickly. We don’t watch much free to air so the apps are important.

#6 4*shining*stars

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:11 PM

We have two Fetch devices.

We have the Fetch Mighty on the main TV. This can record free to air. It has all the streaming apps plus all of the Catch Up apps. For $1 a month, you can also get 30 movies.

On our second TV, we have a Fetch Mini which can do everything the Mighty can, except record. You can link the two so that you can set recording on the Mighty from the Mini, and watch the recordings from the Mini.

The only thing I don't like about the Fetch is the way you pause/rewind live TV. You have to have paused the show first, before you can rewind. We used to have a Beyonwiz which would cache what you had already watched so that you could go back if you missed dialogue etc without the need to pause first.

Fetch also allows you to connect to your home network if you have movies stored digitally.

#7 Weavile

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:13 PM

We don't bother with TV's any more. The smart functions are so questionable and features can be changed or totally removed at any time. A large PC monitor with telstra TV, playstaion, computer or chromecast etc works better depending on your needs.

#8 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:26 PM

View Post4*shining*stars, on 14 July 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

The only thing I don't like about the Fetch is the way you pause/rewind live TV. You have to have paused the show first, before you can rewind. We used to have a Beyonwiz which would cache what you had already watched so that you could go back if you missed dialogue etc without the need to pause first.

I hate this too! We bought the Fetch when Tivo went under. Tivo had that feature and I loved it.

#9 ~J_F~

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

You can get a Telstra tv device. We have that on our older tv and it can do almost everything out newer tv can do. It has apps for sbs, abc, Foxtel, Netflix and so on.

I got mine for free as part of my home bundle.

Edited by ~J_WTF~, 14 July 2019 - 06:11 PM.

#10 Froyo

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:16 PM

Hmmm, we have a 2010 Samsung smart TV and a 2015 ish smart blu ray player. We use the apps via the blu ray player and the only one that it doesn't have is tenplay.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.