What does an 8mo BF bub need?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MwahMum

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:05 PM

Remind me what a "typical" 8mo would be eating and drinking.

I have a 6wo bf boy. We will be at at event when he is 8mo.

If he's anything like DD he will boob exclusively  till he's almost 2. So far, he is looking happy and satisfied with boob milk.

He will be left in care from around 2pm till midnight.  

I had no success with expressing witb DD,  and have no desire to try that again.

Is it possible at 8 months he'll be okay for that stretch of time with water and mushy foods?

Am considering introducing formula so he's tried some and can make it easier on the family member looking after him.

DD never took to formula on the odd occasion we tried. Although she did take to cows milk at 12 months when she went to childcare.

While we've got months to go, am conscious that we will need to introduce a bottle shortly, if that's what we want. Never had a bottle with DD. Did have a sippy cup.

Could we just stick with a little cup / sippy cup at 8mo?

Any thoughts?

#2 Hands Up

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:18 PM

Hmm ten hours is a long time without milk for an 8 month old. Could the relative bring him to the reception at about 7pm for a big feed if he doesn’t take to a bottle?

#3 nasty buddha

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:20 PM

Just clarifying, you will be at an event and your 8 month old will be babysat from 2pm until midnight?

Both of mine at that age were not consistent with solids. Breastmilk was their food. Soilids suited their curiosity rather than fulfilling their hunger and thirst. Also at around that age they forget to eat the food as they experiment with throwing food instead.

Also if they were sick, they wouldn't eat any solids for days at a time.

So I think your son would need milk or formula, and that you can't depend on water and solids only.

Hope that helps.  Unfortunately I don't have any practical advice as I didn't express either and I didn't go anywhere for a great length of time.

#4 NeedSleepNow

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:34 PM

From about 6 months old, DS had to go for 8-12 hours occasionally without a breastfeed. He was offered water, solids, and expressed milk in a sippy cup. I just hand expressed some over the week before, it wasn’t a big deal. He typically refused the latter and then just compensated overnight. I’ll admit, I was pretty relaxed about it.

#5 Steggles66

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:34 PM

I personally wouldn’t bother introducing a bottle just for one day. I would use a sippy cup on the day purely for ease  and would just wing it with water. It so depends on the Bub though my now 9 month old would be perfectly happy with a big breastfeed at 2pm then just food and water till midnight. I’d wait till bubs is about 6 months before making any decision and preparing as they change so quickly.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:15 PM

I wouldn't introduce a bottle for one day, either, because you'll need to keep it up almost from now until then to be sure he'll take it.

Then you have the issue of him wanting the comfort of the bottle (perhaps) and it being the only thing that calms him at a certain time of the day.

Not that any of that's an issue of course if it doesn't bother you.

We had to supplement feed for a couple of months, and until she could have diluted apple juice, I used diluted formula just to make sure she'd keep taking a bottle, as there was a chance my medication might need to change at short notice to non-breastfeeding friendly types.

Got sucked in to the bottle at nighttime loooong after breastfeeding stopped, because it was the line of least resistance.

#7 MwahMum

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:02 PM

View Postnasty buddha, on 14 July 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

Just clarifying, you will be at an event and your 8 month old will be babysat from 2pm until midnight?

Yes, that is correct.

Like you,  I didn't leave DD for this long, at this age, and am worried about how DS and his aunt will go!

#8 MoreCoffeePlease

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:13 PM

I have a bf 8 month old and she would have 3 milk feeds and afternoon tea/ dinner in that time. No way would she be ok with water and solids only though.

My dd will take a bottle or sippy cup now and has mushy food/ proper solids but that will depend a lot on your baby.

#9 too tired to care

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:16 PM

My child was 8 1/2 months old when I was admitted to hospital and taking drugs that meant i could not breast feed. I just had to pump and dump.

She would not take bottle of my expressed milk or formula so my husband gave water in a sippy cup, as we had already been doing that a little. He also gave her the pouches of food- veggies, etc. she just sucked the food out of the pouches, was too cranky waiting for spoons. She grabbed it from DH and sucked it all out.  
My DH had to do this for a few days and she coped fine. We went back to breastfeeding as soon as i could.

So this might be an option for you, but if you can get child and minder to come to you for breast feed that would be much better as you will need to pump anyway so you aren't too uncomfortable or leak.

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:26 PM

I'm guessing you're going to have the baby spend time with the aunt in the time beforehand, too, especially at the same time of night so that they know each other well.

My daughter would have gone to one sister, permanently, without a second glance at that age, so I was lucky.

#11 MwahMum

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:48 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 14 July 2019 - 05:26 PM, said:

I'm guessing you're going to have the baby spend time with the aunt in the time beforehand, too, especially at the same time of night so that they know each other

Yes, of course!

#12 cvbn

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:06 PM

I had to leave my twins at that age (hospital with a migraine) and they had stewed apple and sipped at water from a sippy cup but refused my precious EBM from a bottle or cup. They were a little unsettled but my darling friend rocked them to sleep in a rocking chair.

Have fun and good luck!

#13 QuirkyMum

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:21 PM

Was in similar situation (but I was there to feed before bed) and 8.5 month old was perfectly fine with solids and rice milk in a sippy cup (for the first time, we spent a couple of weeks before trying to get him to take bottle with 40 mls of milk I managed to express several times and when I abandoned the idea of expressing, we started trying with rice milk in a bottle - no success but once boob was unavailable, he took rice milk in a sippy cup).
Mine was a booby monster and still is! (he will be 2) but started eating proper food (meat, rice, Vege, potato, quinoa and fruit) early so I knew he won't go hungry.
Good luck!
P.s. i'd try formula if baby can tolerate dairy/soy

Edited by QuirkyMum, 14 July 2019 - 07:23 PM.

#14 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

I left DS at that age. I had hand expressed but still had to duck home and feed him as he was very unhappy.
It is hard to tell so young, but I wouldn't be introducing bottles or formula for a one night event.

#15 lucky 2

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

At that age dd had refused to bf and wouldnt take a bottle or a cup so I fed her by spoon, every bit of milk had to go in her food.
She gave me no choice and she thrived well being spoon fed for 2 months until she accepted milk and water from a cup.

No need for a bottle, there a many alternatives but it really depends on your baby which alternatives they will accept.

#16 born.a.girl

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:35 PM

View PostMwahMum, on 14 July 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

Yes, of course!

Sorry, I didn't know if perhaps you were travelling interstate or whatever, and the aunt was there.

I'm sure that will help a great deal.

Is the aunt by any chance withing driving distance of you that night?

Again, I'm sure you've thought through this option.

Then again, depending on the child, you risk a WW3 level melt down as they discover you again, only to find it's only fleeting.

That really depends on the child.

#17 lost_eb-er!

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:44 PM

Both of mine (both EBF) would have been fine for that length of time at that age. They took to solids early and ate them with gusto. As PPs have said, you're probably not going to know until closer to the time but I just wanted to let you know it's entirely possible (if you have 'that' kind of baby!).

#18 MwahMum

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:13 PM

Thanks all for your comments.  

I am reminded how different all our babies are.

And how quickly they can change at this early age.

My main takeaway is the bottle effort isn't worth it for one night.

Will play it by ear closer to the time depending on where we're up to with solids...

Thanks again x

#19 afterlaughter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:56 PM

Get a Haakaa, it suctions on other breast while you feed, bub stimulates let down, suction from Haakaa draws out milk. I got 50-90mls every morning with little effort. Gave me a stash of milk very easily.

#20 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

At 8 months DS was eating baby cucmbers, fruit like bananas, baby rusks and fruit bars and the lumpy consistency baby food (spoon feed) plus maybe 3 BFs per day.
I guess the BF that would most likely be missed by bubs is the pre bed one. But I feed my little guy to sleep until he was 1....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.