When do babies sit?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Minnie80

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:58 AM

Hi

I seem to remember from when my son was a baby that sitting happened between 4 to 9 months. But I did an online search now and all sites say 4 to 7. Which is correct?

#2 Drat

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:50 AM

I think most of my friends babies sat unassisted between 6-7 months (maybe a few at 8).
My daughter was sitting at 5 months, my just turned 4 month old sits well with assistance, so i'd say that by 5 months she'd be pretty close to sitting without aid.

#3 Mooples

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:58 AM

Ds1 was a late sitter and was close to 9 months when he say, ds2 was earlier than that, I can’t remember exactly when, I think around 6 months.

#4 nom_de_plume

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:01 AM

4-5 months old for my kids.

#5 Magnolia2

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:14 AM

My DS sat at 8 months and commando crawled at the same time. MCHN and GP didn’t seem concerned?

(he did end up pulling up and walking late too, but again, it didn’t seem to be a problem from the health professionals’ point of view?)

#6 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:12 AM

https://www.who.int/..._graph.pdf?ua=1

Windows of achievement from WHO which is 4-9m

#7 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:22 AM

It varies. My kids have all been very early crawlers but didnt sit until later. ( 8months)
Somebody in my mothers group's DD was sitting at about 4 months but didnt crawl til much later.

I can see DS is not going to be one that sits still either... :wacko:

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 15 July 2019 - 08:23 AM.

#8 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:29 AM

DD didn’t sit until after she could walk (11mo). Why sit when you can move seemed to be her way of thinking. Sitting is still not her style!

#9 Sweet.Pea

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

Mine was around 10 or 11 months. If they are doing other things, don't worry.

#10 Renovators delight

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:41 PM

My sons sat unassisted at 11, 13 and 6 months. All are developmentally normal - the middle one in particular has an enormous head, and was seeing a paed VERY frequently for other reasons, and nobody cared that he sat so late. He was able to sit when propped up by someone at about 10 months, but didn't do it on his own til a lot later.

#11 Hands Up

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:48 PM

My first sat unassisted at 5 months and then didn’t crawl till 13 months, walked at 19 months. Pulled to standing from 15 months and walked with a walker from 17 months.

ETA: at his 12 and 18 months paed visits (booked for other reasons) the paed was completely unconcerned with his progress but did check hips etc.

Second sat at 6 months, crawled at 8 months, walked at 13 months. Pulled to standing from 10 months.

Edited by Hands Up, 15 July 2019 - 12:50 PM.

#12 Minnie80

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:04 PM

My daughter kept trying to roll but couldn't do it. Then she started trying to sit, so I thought ok maybe she skipped rolling because she will be an early sitter. But no success yet lol. She keeps trying but it's not happening. She's still only five months though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.