Heating tuna in the microwave at work

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you heat tuna in the microwave at work? (288 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you heat tuna in the microwave at work?

1. Yes, I'm a psychopath and enjoy watching my colleagues suffer. (9 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

2. Yes, why shouldn't I? (60 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

3. Sometimes, I'm a rebel. (23 votes [7.99%])

Percentage of vote: 7.99%

4. No, I am considerate of my fellow humans olfactory systems. (71 votes [24.65%])

Percentage of vote: 24.65%

5. No, and people who do such a thing are psychopaths. (125 votes [43.40%])

Percentage of vote: 43.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

lol....i think it will go down as an “unpopular opinion” but seriously....your average work kitchen has no ventilation.....fumes waft through to where people are working....

#27 Drat

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:21 PM

It's days like these that I guess I'm probably lucky that i've neveer worked in a large office or share in a large staffroom...

There's 3 of us, and two of us barely even use the staffroom. I don't think i'd be bothered by what anyone heated up or cooked.

Tuna is an easy staple to have for lunches, so I would say there would be a lot of people having it in general. If anyone wanted to complain about what I ate then i'd be happy if they wanted to pack me lunch :)

Also the only thing that really violates my nose is stinky perfume or spray on deodorant. Had words with a girl who was constantly spraying deodorant in my class as it was putrid and smelt like some insipid toilet spray.

#28 MarigoldMadge

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

I'm still famous (infamous) from when I tried toasting raw Brussel sprouts on the sandwich press.

But straight tuna in the microwave, no.

#29 seayork2002

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:25 PM

View PostMarigoldMadge, on 15 July 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

I'm still famous (infamous) from when I tried toasting raw Brussel sprouts on the sandwich press.

It is allowed - because you have to had been practicing for Masterchef otherwise I can't think of one reason why on earth this would be done!?!?!?!

(I am joking!)

#30 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

View PostMarigoldMadge, on 15 July 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

For the love of god why would you attempt sprouts on a sandwich press???

On the topic of “things that smell worse than tuna when heated” I’d like to add anything with fish sauce in it, and cauliflower.

ETA: oh and cat food, not something that you would do at work, but we had to do it for a fussy cat once, and my god, the smell.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 15 July 2019 - 02:27 PM.

#31 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:29 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 15 July 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

For the love of god why would you attempt sprouts on a sandwich press???

On the topic of “things that smell worse than tuna when heated” I’d like to add anything with fish sauce in it, and cauliflower.

ETA: oh and cat food, not something that you would do at work, but we had to do it for a fussy cat once, and my god, the smell.

well, to me, a tin of tuna smells like cat food...

MM don’t leave us hanging....why were you sandwich pressing brussel sprouts. at work. or indeed....at all.

#32 dadwasathome

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 15 July 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

what the hell is “flavoured” tuna?

There are dozens of cans available of "sandwich" tuna packed in sauces across the flavour spectrum I particularly like the curry flavoured ones these days, although the mango and chili is a nice one too.

Perfect for a toasty and, as I said, icky otherwise.

#33 Riotproof

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:32 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 15 July 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

I can't say I would be bothered really.......

The problem is not the lunch. The problem is that the office kitchen doesn’t have adequate ventilation. I would be asking for an exhaust fan before I got cranky with people using a shared office appliance for its intended function.

And yes, there may be plenty of other meals to eat tuna, but work is one situation where being shelf stable, relatively healthy and cheap are all very advantageous.

#34 Riotproof

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:38 PM

View Postdadwasathome, on 15 July 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

Plain tuna is blandsville, and flavoured tuna needs to be heated or it's icky.

And toasted sandwiches are essential as the bread is always stale.

Plain Sirena tuna in oil is not bland,

And all the flavoured tuna is revolting. *disclaimer I have not tried it heated, but I really can’t see it improving anything.

#35 MarigoldMadge

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:39 PM

I'd read an article about ways of using basic office kitchen equipment to make more interesting lunches and the sandwich press featured heavily.

I love Brussel sprouts, especially panfried and I thought, cut them in half, cook them on the press, and they'll make a lovely addition to my lunch.

They did still taste ok but they stank something awful.

Sometimes, I wonder about my brain decisions.....

#36 cardamom

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:46 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 15 July 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

And yes, there may be plenty of other meals to eat tuna, but work is one situation where being shelf stable, relatively healthy and cheap are all very advantageous.

I don't eat fish and the smell of tuna makes me feel thoroughly ill, but almost all of my colleagues seem to eat it for lunch. I can see why - I actually wish I liked it for the above reasons, it would be handy to keep a tin in the cupboard. And I wouldn't presume to tell others what they can or can't eat.

Except for the colleague who once cooked a piece of raw fish in the sandwich press. That wasn't cool. The entire hallway stank of fish for hours.

#37 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:46 PM

View PostMarigoldMadge, on 15 July 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

I'd read an article about ways of using basic office kitchen equipment to make more interesting lunches and the sandwich press featured heavily.

I love Brussel sprouts, especially panfried and I thought, cut them in half, cook them on the press, and they'll make a lovely addition to my lunch.

They did still taste ok but they stank something awful.

Sometimes, I wonder about my brain decisions.....

fair enough. i like pan fried sprouts too...with a bit of lemon zest and pancetta. but yeh...i would never subject my colleagues to it!

we have Kale guy at our work...he’s on some diet regime (tbf he has lost a SHED load of weight) that involves him shredding multiple bunches of kale which he then mixes in with smoked salmon - which, thankfully he doesn’t heat up - although he did microwave something fishy once which was revolting. after he’s done his thing he leave the kitchen sink full of broccoli florets and kale stems....this in turn has prompted many passive aggressive signs “do you think your mother is here to clean’ (with sexist undertones) ....and he does this like, three times a day.

#38 Lunafreya

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

Up there with tuna is kimchi and durians

#39 Flaxen

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

Husband cooked toast, spread some onion and tomato flavoured tuna on the toast, sprinkled a lot of parmesan cheese on it and put it in the microwave for 2 mins and then forgot about it.

#40 Lunafreya

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:12 PM

View PostFlaxen, on 15 July 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

Husband cooked toast, spread some onion and tomato flavoured tuna on the toast, sprinkled a lot of parmesan cheese on it and put it in the microwave for 2 mins and then forgot about it.
Divorce!

#41 Riotproof

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:14 PM

View Postcardamom, on 15 July 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

I don't eat fish and the smell of tuna makes me feel thoroughly ill, but almost all of my colleagues seem to eat it for lunch. I can see why - I actually wish I liked it for the above reasons, it would be handy to keep a tin in the cupboard. And I wouldn't presume to tell others what they can or can't eat.

Except for the colleague who once cooked a piece of raw fish in the sandwich press. That wasn't cool. The entire hallway stank of fish for hours.

Exactly.

The sandwich press fish is probably a bridge too far, I agree. Wonder what was going on there.

#42 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

I'd rather smell tuna (hot or cold) than putrid underarms and office farters.

#43 Mollycoddle

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:32 PM

View PostDemera, on 15 July 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

What should be banned is eating boiled eggs. We have a staff member who has them every day. The lunchroom smells like you just walked into a fart!

Agree, remember the thread earlier this year or last year about the man who ate a dozen hard-boiled eggs at work?

#44 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:32 PM

View PostNasty Poobah, on 15 July 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

Some days DP mixes mashed sardines with raw chopped onion and spreads it on toast.

No jury would convict me.

Tuna in the microwave would be worse.
I'm happy to provide an alibi

View PostWTFJerk, on 15 July 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

I did not know there was so much tuna hate in the world

I don't discriminate, all seafood is vile
Fish are friends, not food

I'm allergic though lol

#45 Jane Jetson

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:35 PM

I love tuna. Not the icky flavoured stuff, the shredded stuff in springwater. Perfect in a toasted cheese sandwich, on toast or squashed up with hommous in crispbreads. Or in mornay. You all are making me want to go reheat an afternoon snack of last night's mornay.

Fortunately I work from home most of the time and my esteemed colleagues - Cat One and Cat Two - rather seem to like the smell. They're certainly not shy about telling me they want me to share.

Wouldn't do it in an office, though I disagree that work kitchens are for drinks and nothing else.

#46 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

View PostWTFancie shmancie, on 15 July 2019 - 03:30 PM, said:

I'd rather smell tuna (hot or cold) than putrid underarms and office farters.

yeh office farters are the worst.

an unpopular opinion, it turns out, on EB - certainly the last time it was raised...with the general consensus being outrage at those who objected to farts and “what are you meant to do you can’t hold it in how dare you say my fart is awful”.

eta - on the whole tuna and cheese toastie though -
does cheese go with seafood?

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 15 July 2019 - 03:40 PM.

#47 wallofdodo

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:40 PM

I'll relay my story yet again of my co worker (shared pod) who would empty the tuna oil into his WASTE PAPER BASKET!

:sick: :omg: :sick: :sick:

#48 Lunafreya

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:40 PM

I can’t hold a fart in, it’s painful and a fart often relives pain :(

#49 Jane Jetson

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 15 July 2019 - 03:39 PM, said:

eta - on the whole tuna and cheese toastie though -
does cheese go with seafood?

Opinion is divided on the matter.

That is, I say it does and just about everyone else seems to think it doesn't.

Edit: can't type

Edited by Jane Jetson, 15 July 2019 - 03:42 PM.

#50 *holdontight*

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:45 PM

Just NO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.