Heating tuna in the microwave at work

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you heat tuna in the microwave at work? (288 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you heat tuna in the microwave at work?

1. Yes, I'm a psychopath and enjoy watching my colleagues suffer. (9 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

2. Yes, why shouldn't I? (60 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

3. Sometimes, I'm a rebel. (23 votes [7.99%])

Percentage of vote: 7.99%

4. No, I am considerate of my fellow humans olfactory systems. (71 votes [24.65%])

Percentage of vote: 24.65%

5. No, and people who do such a thing are psychopaths. (125 votes [43.40%])

Percentage of vote: 43.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Jane Jinglebells

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:51 PM

Well, I did it, I'm now eating last night's reheated mornay and it is delicious

Hope you're happy with yourselves folks :p

#52 FiveAus

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:54 PM

Tuna in any form is disgusting and has no place in the work microwaves. But neither does microwave popcorn, that stuff should be banned. It smells like vomit and the smell stays for hours.

#53 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

View Postwallofdodo, on 15 July 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

I'll relay my story yet again of my co worker (shared pod) who would empty the tuna oil into his WASTE PAPER BASKET!

:sick: :omg: :sick: :sick:

ewwww. I mean, oils should go in the bin, or it can clog your plumbing, but not your desk bin.  I dont even put my banana peel in my desk bin, as its too stinky, i walk it over to the tearoom bin.

#54 cardamom

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

this post

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 15 July 2019 - 03:39 PM, said:

yeh office farters are the worst.

combined with this username

View Post*holdontight*, on 15 July 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

Just NO

had me lol-ing.

#55 76 others

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:01 PM

Oh no I do scrambled eggs in the microwave at work. It's my easy lunch when I can't be assed making anything in the morning and just grab 2 slices of bread and 2 eggs.

I eat tuna sandwiches but don't heat them upm

#56 ytt

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:11 PM

I used to make egg and veggies every single morning in the microwave at work lol.... I got oh here comes i-candi with her eggs gross. I ended up buying a cheap microwave and putting it in the classroom so I only subjected staff to the stench if I was walking around eating it!

I don't eat breakfast anymore.

#57 Oriental lily

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:38 PM

Eggs and a Tuna is fine as long as I know that’s what is being cooked . The same as Parmesan .

If not warned I associate it with farts , rotten garbage and smelly socks .

So me it’s all about the association .

If a co worker  told me I am going to cook a tuna cheese toastie I would think yum, wish I was having one .

However if I suddenly got the smell coming my way when not expecting it I would feel grossed out .

I also think it’s the overall way you feel at the moment .

On the day I was leaving hospital with my first newborn daughter the hospital decided to serve poached white fish for lunch . I was tired, stressed, still feeling fairly ill and impatiently waiting for paper work to be sorted so we could go home .

Yet the whole ward reeked of poached fish and I got a dish of this food plonked in front of me . I was left gagging and so dam irrationally annoyed because it was not a dish I ordered . Baby blues made me sob lol .

So I can imagine in a high pressure work environment getting strong smells invading your space would irrationally annoy you .

#58 got my tinsel on

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:40 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 15 July 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

I can’t hold a fart in, it’s painful and a fart often relives pain :(

Then go to the toilets as soon as you feel the pressure and fart up a storm there!

#59 kimasa

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:51 PM

See, this is why I could never change jobs. We heat up everything and no one complains. There was one day when the four of us had four completely different leftover curries, we all went "OH WELL LET'S ENJOY!"

#60 Lunafreya

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:10 PM

View PostWTFancie shmancie, on 15 July 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

Then go to the toilets as soon as you feel the pressure and fart up a storm there!
I’d be there all the time :(

They don’t smell. Just loud.

#61 Moukmouk

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:11 PM

NSW health has a big “get healthy at work” program going at the moment. There are grants to buy things to make it easier to keep healthy at work. One of the things you can use the grants for is a microwave so staff can bring food from home and heat meals up. I don’t really get the tuna hate compared to any other food. But then I have a fairly diverse staff, so lots of different foods. I have a new young staff member whose mum makes him home made curries. I’m tying to work out how to get her to make extra......

#62 autismmu

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:51 PM

I'm an RN.  Tuna is one of the least offensive smells we experience during the working day.

#63 Cherubs

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

See when you leave your house, people will do things you don't like, but as an adult you just deal, I gag on the smell of cream corn, even corn on the cob is offensive to my little ol' nose, but if a colleague enjoyed a creamed corn toastie, I would find somewhere else to eat my lunch because they are doing nothing wrong, they are making and eating their lunch in the lunch room.

If I was told either verbally or via signage someone was allergic to a certain food, I would avoid bringing that food to work, but otherwise grow up.

Edited by Cherubs, 15 July 2019 - 06:28 PM.

#64 little lion

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:59 PM

I can’t remember the last i time I ate tuna at work but I don’t really care if others do.

#65 MincePieMasterchef

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:04 PM

I avoid tuna at work because I know a lot of people dont like the smell.
Even though I love the taste and I don't care about the smell myself.

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 15 July 2019 - 06:05 PM.

#66 Chocolate Addict

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:04 PM

How is tuna any worse than curry, chilli, spicy foods etc?

I loathe bananas and the smell of them makes me feel ill but I certainly wouldn't expect people not to eat them in the tea room.

I stir tuna (flavoured or plain) in to two minute noodles, with cheese for lunch sometimes. :)

#67 DJandJ

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:09 PM

I worked with a colleague who blocked the garbage disposal in the tea room sink with her bone broth. Smelt like an abattoir.

#68 got my tinsel on

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:24 PM

Getting upset about what other people eat/heat reminds me of the horrible reactions to the lunches of the Italian and Greek kids at my school way back in the 1960s.

#69 Cherubs

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:26 PM

Aren't you supposed to strain the all the solid bit out of broth, before you eat it? like before serving it to take to work, I mean?

Edited by Cherubs, 15 July 2019 - 06:29 PM.

#70 kimasa

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:39 PM

View PostWTFancie shmancie, on 15 July 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

Getting upset about what other people eat/heat reminds me of the horrible reactions to the lunches of the Italian and Greek kids at my school way back in the 1960s.

Hell, I was still getting it for Maltese food in the 90s.

Tomato paste is so used a spread people, you're just not used to it.

#71 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:40 PM

most of the curries heated up by colleagues smell pretty good....it’s just the nasty tuna - and i actually only see the skippys eating that....

#72 Lesley225

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

View Postwallofdodo, on 15 July 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

I'll relay my story yet again of my co worker (shared pod) who would empty the tuna oil into his WASTE PAPER BASKET!

:sick: :omg: :sick: :sick:

They got rid of our bins ages ago so you have to go to the kitchen.

I love Sardines on toast and  hard boiled eggs at work.  Since they banned the toasters it's too hard to have sardines though.

Don't know why you'd want to heat tuna unless it's a tuna steak.

#73 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:48 PM

View Postkimasa, on 15 July 2019 - 06:39 PM, said:

Hell, I was still getting it for Maltese food in the 90s.

Tomato paste is so used a spread people, you're just not used to it.

Tom paste is a spread. With sardines, or feta tuna and olives. Yum!

#74 Orangecake

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:53 PM

A colleague of mine took a preventative approach of having a large 'No Tuna' sign above their desk.

I personally don't like the smell, but the only time it really bothered me was when I worked in a tiny office next to the kitchen - lots of tuna dishes all day every day - yuk!

#75 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:55 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 15 July 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

Does it make his breath stink? I’d stink for days

Stink is an entirely inadequate word in this particular context.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.