Hosting Party for First Time

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ouo

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:34 PM

Hi all

My partner and I are hosting a party for the kids/catch-up for parents for the firs time. Our kids are 1.5yrs old but we are expecting kids from 0 to 12.

Having never hosted a party for other parents & kids, I wonder if any of you more experienced parents have some advice on things like entertainment for the kids, what food & drinks to provide, and anything else we may be forgetting.

Apologies if there is already another forum post on this!

Thanks!

#2 luke's mummu

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:50 PM

Make sure the area is really childsafe- it’s so easy for adults to get distracted and toddlers to wander off down the road

#3 luke's mummu

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:51 PM

By 12, my son wouldn’t  play with toddlers- a downtime area with tv or else he will play on his phone.

#4 Silver Girl

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:24 PM

I like to have a couple of activity stations set up - things like decorating cupcakes (icing/lollies/sprinkles etc) or even decorating Marie biscuits.

Another simple craft activity is making flowers out of cupcake wrappers:

https://laughingkids...-paper-flowers/

Set up toys throughout the house - eg dolls house, dress ups, puzzles, whatever you have.

Outside you could have bubble mix and wands for the kids.

We have an urn so can have boiling water on tap (out of reach of littlies). I put out cups/spoons/tea/coffee/sugar/milk etc and tell adults to help themselves any time. Then I stress less if I get distracted and forget to offer. Same with cold drinks/glasses.

Food might include a fruit platter, cheese platter, bowls of chips, a few slices, maybe scones with jam and cream - depends on how much time I have beforehand.

I avoid using table cloths, little hands pull on them. You could use butchers paper on the table (like a table runner) and invite the kids to colour/draw with crayons.

Have some music playing in the background.

Hope it’s a great party!

#5 Sweet.Pea

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:40 PM

I would just do finger food (for some reason people don't eat if it's the first time). So think simple things...plate of sandwiches, chips, cheese, fruit etc. Seeing as there are small kids, I wouldn't include dip.

In terms of activities, for the younger kids, I would just let them play with your kids toys. Have an area for the preteens and for the parents with really small babies (happy change, quiet time etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.