Care Package

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OceanTwentyFour

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:31 PM

A close friend of mine has just found out she has breast cancer. She is having surgery today and will find out the stage and treatment next week.
I wanted to put together a little care package for her. I thought of a book and some cheese & crackers as she loves cheese. Can anyone suggest other ideas?

#2 Jenflea

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

Gel pens and a colouring in book maybe?
Hand cream
Lip balm

#3 MarciaB

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:51 PM

Magazines. Or a book which has short stories.  Sometimes a novel can be too hard to concentrate on when you aren't feeling well.

Handcream and lip balm great ideas.

#4 Fossy

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:10 PM

Netflix gift card, bed socks, nice pjs, heat pack, nice lip balm to help with cracked lips, gift card to the hospital for coffee/parking etc, hire a cleaner for her home.
Hope your friend is ok x

#5 JomoMum

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:28 PM

How very thoughtful of you xx I agree with the suggestions above.

I would probably avoid the food, especially ones she loves now. If she does require chemo, often the foods you love don’t taste as good. But if she has a family, certainly some home cooked meals would be most appreciated by all when she is in hospital.

#6 Beancat

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:47 PM

I have done a few of these for friends who are about to go through chemo, after my mother's experience

socks or sock like slippers for hospital - feet are always cold
pen and notepad - to jot down questions when they pop into your head for doctors and nurses
Definitely lip balm and hand cream - but with NO SCENT at all - the scent can contribute to nausea
A water bottle
Pepermint tea and ginger tea for nausea
Lolly pops
A book with short stories and or magazines
A nice scarf in case she loses her hair, otherwise its really nice to get a nice scarf bought for you anyway

If she has kids/partner - Id cook a few freezer meals too as she could be in hospital or off or feet for a while.  Her husband will be running around with kids and visiting her and is likely to appreciate coming home to a cooked meal

#7 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:50 PM

A lovely warm fluffy blanket.

#8 too tired to care

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

The above ideas are great, also depending on which hospital she goes to for chemo, parking can cost a fortune,  so money or a card with money on it for this purpose is also helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.