Positive induction birth stories

29 replies to this topic

#1 chloe_belle

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:02 AM

I’m booked in for an induction tomorrow which is quite different to the completely natural birth I was wanting. Please hit me with your positive induction stories!

#2 Crazyhouseholdof6

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:01 AM

3/4 of my births were inductions. Last one was amazing! Maybe it was because I knew what to expect but within an hour of them breaking my waters I was holding my 4.8kg Bub! Pain was the same as a spontaneous labour for me but I refused the drip so that may be why. Made planning the care of other kids easier as I knew what day it would be, hubby arranged time of work in advance, would do it again if I had another one.
Good luck, hopefully you’ll be holding Bub soon!!

#3 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:11 AM

All 3 of my births were inductions.
No 1 included the drip and he was pretty rough but at the end I had a happy healthy baby so that was all that mattered.

However it wasn't the natural experience I wanted so with a different OB (we had moved interstate) for 2 and 3 they broke my waters I walked around dripping for a couple of hours, started labour and had a baby each time.
Maybe see if they will do that for you before putting you on the drip.
Good Luck

#4 Hands Up

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:20 AM

My second induction went beautifully!

#5 chloe_belle

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:35 AM

Thankyou ladies for sharing! I am starting to feel more positive about it now. Phillipa- I am seeing my Obstetrician today for another stretch and sweep so will check with her if breaking my waters is an option.

#6 Ellie bean

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:55 AM

My induction was awesome! It was my second child and much better than my first (not induced) VB.
I hope everything goes beautifully!

#7 Lou-bags

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:31 AM

My second was induced. It was a beautiful birth and I loved it. So much easier and calmer than my first spontaneous labour. Good luck!

#8 Jiraffe

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:38 AM

Both mine were inductions. With the second I was in labour only a few hours after they did the first lot of gel, no further intervention required. It was all very calm as I just walked down to the birthing suite when I was having regular contractions. Good luck!

#9 chloe_belle

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:46 AM

View PostJiraffe, on 17 July 2019 - 08:38 AM, said:

Both mine were inductions. With the second I was in labour only a few hours after they did the first lot of gel, no further intervention required. It was all very calm as I just walked down to the birthing suite when I was having regular contractions. Good luck!

This sounds amazing! Exactly what I am hoping for :yes:

#10 KA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:50 AM

I was very committed to having spontaneous labour’s with natural deliveries. I ended up with 3 inductions and also had to have the drip as nothing much happened after my waters were broken. I had 3 really good, active labours (just had to drag the drip around). No other interventions were needed and I recovered really well.

Good luck! You will be holding your baby very soon.

#11 seayork2002

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:50 AM

I was in full labour 15mins after I was induced (gel? I don't remember having a drip) DS was born 12ish hours after that. I was home a few hours after that

#12 EmmDasher

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:56 AM

I’ve had the drip 2/2. First time when labour was already difficult and didn’t progress. Second time from the get go and it was brilliant. Labour is painful and I don’t think the drip made that worse. From a pain perspective I found it manageable with gas (I did have an epi towards the end of labour 1 but not really due to pain). I didn’t have any issue with the continuous monitoring impinging my movement either - honestly didn’t even think about it.

My second was amazing. 2hrs from the needle insertion to birth. I spent a some time in the shower (waterproof monitor) and I chatted through most of the labour with gas for contractions. It was the best.

Overall I’ve had good experiences and good outcomes and I never felt that they were much different to spontaneous labour. The induction drugs just helped my body do what it needed to do.

ETA: I did have waters broken first with number 2 but it wasn’t really enough.

Edited by EmmDasher, 17 July 2019 - 09:01 AM.

#13 ~Bob~

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:02 AM

4 out of 5 of mine were inductions!

I wanted a water birth for my last. My waters were broken in the morning. I had meconium in my waters, so I had to have the drip. By 11:30am I was in labour. At 12:34pm baby arrived in the bath as I wanted, and by 5pm we were headed home for dinner. It was such a lovely birth. It did hurt though, not gonna lie. I asked for an epidural, but by the time the Dr came to administer it, I was on the bed holding the baby.

I had a pain free induction as well. They wanted me to have an epidural for my twins, in case they needed to do any intervention. So I decided that if I was going to have an epidural, I might as well have it up front and not have any pain. So they broke my waters, hooked me up to the drip and called for the Dr to administer the epidural.

I felt the pressure of the baby coming down the birth canal. An hour after labour began, twin 1 was born, and 3 minutes later twin 2 arrived. Totally pain free birth. That was pretty awesome too!

#14 Caribou

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

I had a induction for a VBAC, It went sooooo beautifully. It was long, (26 hours!) but easy. I loved it. Is that a weird thing to say? It was really very positive, though DS was a little stuck and I ended up with another Caesarian, I could not have been more happier with how the induction went. It was just a really good positive experience, even if I didn't get the VB I wanted in the end. I have no regrets doing it.

I wish you all the luck for induction tomorrow. The most important thing is you take it easy on yourself.

#15 chloe_belle

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:08 AM

View Post~Bob~, on 17 July 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

4 out of 5 of mine were inductions!

I wanted a water birth for my last. My waters were broken in the morning. I had meconium in my waters, so I had to have the drip. By 11:30am I was in labour. At 12:34pm baby arrived in the bath as I wanted, and by 5pm we were headed home for dinner. It was such a lovely birth. It did hurt though, not gonna lie. I asked for an epidural, but by the time the Dr came to administer it, I was on the bed holding the baby.

I had a pain free induction as well. They wanted me to have an epidural for my twins, in case they needed to do any intervention. So I decided that if I was going to have an epidural, I might as well have it up front and not have any pain. So they broke my waters, hooked me up to the drip and called for the Dr to administer the epidural.

I felt the pressure of the baby coming down the birth canal. An hour after labour began, twin 1 was born, and 3 minutes later twin 2 arrived. Totally pain free birth. That was pretty awesome too!

Wow your births sound amazing! This may be my baby brain reading it wrong, did you mean you did or didn't have an epidural with the twins?

#16 seayork2002

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:12 AM

View Postchloe_belle, on 17 July 2019 - 09:08 AM, said:

Wow your births sound amazing! This may be my baby brain reading it wrong, did you mean you did or didn't have an epidural with the twins?

Not sure if this relevant or not but I had an epidural with my induction for DS

#17 chloe_belle

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:22 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 17 July 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

Not sure if this relevant or not but I had an epidural with my induction for DS

Definitely relevant! How amazing that you went into active labour within 15 min of the gel! I hope that's me tomorrow

#18 seayork2002

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:28 AM

View Postchloe_belle, on 17 July 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

Definitely relevant! How amazing that you went into active labour within 15 min of the gel! I hope that's me tomorrow

My mum had to convince them it was labour though and not Braxton Hicks - DH and I had no flipping idea but mum said 'I am telling you she is in Labor!' I was.

Was not expecting it that fast!

#19 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:32 AM

2 of my 3 deliveries were inductions, both past my due date. For the first, I was admitted to hospital in the evening and had my waters broken. I was in labour within an hour and requested an epidural after about 1.5-2 hours. Labour was about 6.5 hours.

With the 2nd induction, and an even shorter spontaneous labour in between, i was admitted to hospital in the morning. I had the epidural put in before my waters were broken. Not much happened until the initial dose of the epidural wore off. My OB came in at morning tea time and suggested the drip, but was happy for me to wait until lunch time and see what was happening. By lunchtime, labour was fully established. I had a top-up of the epidural at about 3.30 and the baby arrived at about 4.30.

Both times, I was able to walk around after the epidural was in, so it was a light dose, enough to take the edge off, but not so much that I couldn’t feel the contractions.

#20 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:44 AM

I have had 2 inductions by drip because my waters broke then nothing for 18 hours, and 1 'natural ' drug free birth. I was actually booked in for a 3rd induction but went into labour on the way to the hospital!

I wouldn't actually say there was heaps of difference with the 3. They were all amazing, I got a wonderful baby at the end. In all 3 there was no further interventions (I had an epi with DD2) and no ongoing issues to me, and all my 3 kids had apgar of 9.  The epi does restrict you to a bed but you can kneel on the bed or lie on your side if you want. I could still feel to push.

Theres different types of 'inductions'. For some people its just breaking the waters or putting the gel in and your body will do the rest, other people will need to be put on a drip to get the baby out. Try not to stress either way - you will be in good hands and your medical team would have recommended this as it is the best option for your baby.

Some people online are very anti-induction but you will often find they are getting their info from American sources, or unqualified sources, so please trust your health provider as they are the qualified ones!

#21 Abernathy

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:57 AM

My first was induced because of gest diabetes. It turned out to be a nicely-paced vag delivery (no other drugs) and the induction was not a problem in the least. Best of luck!

#22 Lou-bags

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:58 AM

To add further- I had an epidural with both of my births (spontaneous and induced) but both times after several hours of labour (14hrs into 16hrs total birth one, about 6hrs into 9hrs total birth two). For me, there was no difference in the pain of the contractions between births. I distinctly remember thinking, when in labour with DS2, ‘oh that’s right, I remember this...’ it felt identical.

I did have to have the drip, at max dose. The only thing that bothered me was the continuous monitoring strapped to my tummy. Because I was huge and it didn’t fit well. In the end the midwife abandoned the belt and just taped it to my tummy.

Tip- if you think you’ll need continuous monitoring (and some hospitals will require it for inductions I believe) ask for the cordless monitor as soon as you get there. My birthing hospital didn’t have enough for every suite so I got in ASAP to make sure I got one. It just make movement that little bit easier with one less cord to manage.

#23 PrincessPeach

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

View PostJiraffe, on 17 July 2019 - 08:38 AM, said:

Very similar here, except my ob broke my waters 3 hours after the gel as I wasn't having regular contractions - that kickstarted it off & 2 1/4 hours later the little mr arrived.

My first I was induced & needed the syntocin drip - I was closely monitored & I recall the nurses altering the dose based on the number of contractions in a set timeframe. If you've need continuous monitoring you do not just have to sit on a bed, you can still move around, just not far. Although some hospitals have waterproof monitors, so if you want to utilise the shower, ask for one of these first up.

#24 ~Bob~

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:17 PM

View Postchloe_belle, on 17 July 2019 - 09:08 AM, said:

Yes, I did. The Dr said that when twin 1 comes out, twin 2 can move around and go breach. He held his large hand up and said, "I might need to go in and get the baby". And when I saw that, I said 100% agree with the epidural!

#25 Kallie88

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:24 PM

2/3 induced. Had waters broken in the morning, went on the drip, was really straightforward, had both my babies before the end of the day, first I had the gas and pethidine, second no pain relief.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.