How important are gift bags for kids parties?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 born.a.girl

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:13 PM

View Postgracie1978, on 17 July 2019 - 06:06 PM, said:

I asked my 4yo fir you
Apparently everyone will be sad if there aren't lolly bags

Personally I think the parents should get then, we do all the work to get them to the party with a moderately appropriate present.

Parents should get a hip flask.

#52 Luci

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 17 July 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

Or at the very least some lollies that appeal to the palate of oldies like me. Licorice, dark chocolate coffee beans, after dinner mints etc.  Time can stand still when you are at a kid’s party, can seriously feel like the longest 2 hours of your life. But all would be forgiven if I had some decent sweets to scoff in the car on the way home!

#53 MrsCee

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:10 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 17 July 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

This is my theory, which is why I always serve alcohol!

#54 Future-self

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:23 PM

Yes to party bag - lots of food allergies around me so plastic crap it was. And they were loved. Twisty straw,  flashing magic ring, sheet of stickers, Easy.

Yes to keeping food simple - popcorn, fruit kebabs,  bowl of lollies, sandwiches and a cake. Some dip and cheese for parents.

And Yes to alcohol at PM parties. People are there for two hours, they can enjoy one drink and pretend that they're there by choice...

#55 nom_de_plume

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

Lolly bags (when did they become gift bags?) are a definite yes. DD is in FYOS and they’ve featured at every party. There’s usually a combo of a few lollies or sultanas, a balloon/stickers/bubbles and some stationery items (pencil or eraser) or a small toy. If the party is themed the lolly bags often match the theme.

Food wise we’ve seen a mix. One party had the most amazing spread of homemade dim sum, spring rolls and fried rice. The kids loved it. We’ve also been to a McDonalds party, and a few more traditional party pies and sausage rolls type affairs. Personally I usually make a platter of sandwiches/rolls, sushi, sausage rolls, veggie sticks/dip/cheese/crackers platter, fruit platter, fairy bread and popcorn and kids and adults are welcome to help themselves. I just offer water for the kids and tea/coffee for the parents. That is largely based on what my kids like to eat.

My kids also like to have a piñata so I usually stuff that with lollies, stickers and small toys/stationery and let the kids fill their own lolly bag.

#56 WaitForMe

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:42 PM

I did a lolly bag, but apparently didn't put enough lollies in the bag.

The girl that complained also happened to be the child that stuffed her pockets full of lollies from the piñata!

#57 Riotproof

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:56 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 17 July 2019 - 06:03 PM, said:

I think it's pretty standard that younger siblings are allowed for.  

Nope. Not. Kids need to know that sometimes it’s x’s turn and not theirs.

#58 LucyGoose

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:24 PM

Yes,  to party bags.  We do just a small bag of lollies.  

Party food,  we’ve stopped providing sandwiches/wraps as they’re never eaten.
Mini pies/sausage rolls are popular,  Cheerios, some chips,  fruit platter.  We’ve also bought a sushi platter which goes down well.

Wine not expected,  but I’d never say no in the afternoon.

#59 Meepy

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:32 PM

Yes to party bags, no to alcohol. When they were going to parties every weekend, what we would do with the contents of the party bags is put the lollies into a jar in the kitchen for each child so they can grab one when they are allowed to but can't scoff them all on the one day (most of the time they forget).  Any little toys, bits and pieces that they don't want or have duplicates of we put into jars to be donated to the school fete lucky jar stall.

#60 QuirkyMum

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:07 PM

View PostLuci, on 17 July 2019 - 07:54 PM, said:

Or at the very least some lollies that appeal to the palate of oldies like me. Licorice, dark chocolate coffee beans, after dinner mints etc.  Time can stand still when you are at a kid’s party, can seriously feel like the longest 2 hours of your life. But all would be forgiven if I had some decent sweets to scoff in the car on the way home!
Hehe
Last year as a joke I gave out party bags to adults after kids party for family/close friends. Lindt balls, jelly beans and snakes. My husband asked for beef jerky but alas...

OP, about lolly bags for siblings. They are appreciated or pretty much expected but they don't have to be identical to those of guests. You will have some spare bags ( even paper brown bags!) and you will probably have spare freddo chocolates and chupachups - just put a couple in a spare bag and you get a very happy sibling!

#61 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:14 PM

I have done loot bags for parties because it is a thank you for the guest coming, but also it is a nice gesture, plus often a way for parents to get the kids to leave thing.

In ours there is normally a few of the birthday kids favourite lolly or chocolates, and a keepsake related to the party theme.

In the oldest there were no lollies, but the keepsake was something useful and related to the theme.  The kids thought they were great gifts.

I do not do bags for siblings, unless they were invited via invitation to attend.  It is not their friends party, and it also creates an expectation of getting something from other parties as well.  It is in my opinion not up to the host to provide for all kids in a family.  I also am all for building resilience even in a 2 year old.

#62 Silver Girl

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:35 PM

DS once received a daffodil bulb, wrapped in an organza bag and tied with ribbon. I thought that was a nice alternative.

#63 seayork2002

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:41 PM

I will not do lolly bags for siblings I would find it a worry if a sibling was upset they did not get a lolly bag for an event they were not invited too.

If the parents think their child is missing out they can buy them something to make up for the upset

#64 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:45 PM

Kids where I am definitely expect them. Once I forgot to give out and kids were asking where the lolly bags were while their parents shushed them, I was glad we had some.

That said, they can be minimal, I think it's more the gesture of something to take home, not that it has to be much. We used to do proper bags but one year it was a Mr Men/Miss book, another a bubble wand with a tube of Mentos, one year they made some craft thing and took it home. But there sort of needs to be something to take home.

Alcohol is awesome. We had a few home parties and had it, but since going to halls have had to stop as we have to get special permission. It matters less once they hit school and parents stop staying, but was a godsend for small child parties. I was always so grateful when I turned up to a small kids party and there was alcohol, I just hate small kid parent-hover parties so much.

We have never had siblings ask. I usually do 2-3 extra because there is always some misunderstanding (once I forgot I had invited someone, another time someone who had said they would not come did come, etc) and if there are spare it's a treat for the birthday kid.

View PostERipley, on 17 July 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

Ok, no alcohol I think. Poppers are a good idea. I wonder if or still serve fizzy drink? I’m a bit worried about those kids who are sugar-free.

I went to a party where there was juice and milk. I was surprised, I never thought of milk, but they had strawberry, chocolate and plain and the kids LOVED it there was a constant milk queue. Since then we've done it too - this year we had one young fellow who ate nothing, drank nothing else, but had about 8 cups of plain milk (had only really brought plain for the tea) - so I was glad we had it!

I have fizzy drinks for school age kid parties - they seem to expect it. But below that age juice and milk have been great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.