Party food?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbaubles

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:12 PM

After some advice as to what I should serve for a toddler party (morning time around 9-12). Probably about a dozen kids aged 1-3 (mainly 2 year olds).

I've got lots of fruit, but was wondering what else I should serve as everything I have been given suggestions of is really unhealthy (cocktail frankfurts, fairy bread, jelly cups etc.) which I don't mind, but I also don't want people to be annoyed that it's all unhealthy...

I was thinking of maybe doing some little pizza scrolls or bacon and egg quiche cups or little chicken nuggets?

Any suggestions hugely welcome!!

#2 Bigbaubles

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:14 PM

Oh and I should mention for the parents too!

#3 laridae

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

I usually do
Fairy bread
Party pies
Sausage rolls
Mini quiches
Honey joys
Chocolate crackles
Jelly cups (I use the shot glass size)
Cupcakes
Sandwiches - usually a mix of curried (very mild) egg, ham, cheese and ham & cheese)
Fruit (usually watermelon but I'll add others if they are in season)
Popcorn
Chips (cheezels or something,  I'll have a few packets of different types and put more out if needed)
Cocktail sausages

Parents just eat the same stuff. I don't cater to them specifically.

I probably should add - I don't do all these every time. It would be a selection out of these options. I would always do fruit and sandwiches, at least one hot option, a couple of savoury and a couple of sweet. More options if there are more people coming.

Edited by laridae, 17 July 2019 - 04:03 PM.

#4 JomoMum

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:50 PM

We’re doing a similar party later this year, but for kids aged 3-6. Probably about 11-2.
We’ll have
Sandwiches (Vegemite, cheese, ham, egg/lettuce)
Bowls of popcorn, chips
Few small bowls of lollies
Mini hot dogs/sausage sandwiches
Fruit platters- easy to pick up and eat for kids

I figure it’s enough to keep most kids and parents happy with something in their stomach. They’re not coming “to eat” so I don’t feel the need to fill them all up.

#5 seayork2002

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:52 PM

View Postlaridae, on 17 July 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

I usually do
Fairy bread
Party pies
Sausage rolls
Mini quiches
Honey joys
Chocolate crackles
Jelly cups (I use the shot glass size)
Cupcakes
Sandwiches - usually a mix of curried (very mild) egg, ham, cheese and ham & cheese)
Fruit (usually watermelon but I'll add others if they are in season)
Popcorn
Chips (cheezels or something,  I'll have a few packets of different types and put more out if needed)
Cocktail sausages

Parents just eat the same stuff. I don't cater to them specifically.

This!

although I hear about these fruit eating kids but yet to come across any :smile:

#6 Bigbaubles

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:09 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 17 July 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

This!

although I hear about these fruit eating kids but yet to come across any Posted Image

Really? My daughter would definitely go for fruit over anything else. I think last year I ended up with all the fruit eaten, but lots of left over fairy bread and jelly etc.

#7 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:41 PM

Fruit definitely gets eaten at the young kids parties I’ve been to.
There are lots of allergies in my family, so I do the following:

Lots of fruit
Little Frankfurt’s
Fairy bread made with dairy free bread and dairy free spread (a very easy allergy friendly option!)
Party pies and sausage rolls
Jelly and cake for dessert. Jelly is good for allergies.
And I may have a few small bowls of lollies and chips

That’s heaps for young kids. They don’t need too many options.  The health nuts can eat the fruit and everyone else is catered for too.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:44 PM

At the last party I did, I made strawberry and marshmallow kebab sticks. Kids loved them! And, allergy friendly.

#9 Riotproof

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

Do not worry about the healthy people.

Just have a few different options and go from there. Lemon Myrtle’s list is really good.

#10 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:46 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 17 July 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

This!

although I hear about these fruit eating kids but yet to come across any :smile:

Yep dd has never touched a fruit platter at a party, come to think of it, the only time I've eaten fruit at a party it was the fruit from the punch...... NOT fruit I'd be giving dd or her friends

Even at home it's rare, she likes the look, asks for it but rarely eats it lol

All dd eats at a party is mini hot dogs, cake, lollies, party pies
Her last party I ordered from the venue,
Fairy bread, party pies and sausage rolls, mini hot dogs, hot chips, lollies, Smith's chips, cordial and water

#11 PrincessPeach

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:55 PM

Most of the kids parties I've been to have had a combination of what laridee has listed out.

Also my SIL often puts out a small plate of cucumber sticks, carrot sticks, crackers & cheese cubes. My kids usually go for this & the fruit, but I have odd kids.

#12 seayork2002

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:56 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 17 July 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Yep dd has never touched a fruit platter at a party, come to think of it, the only time I've eaten fruit at a party it was the fruit from the punch...... NOT fruit I'd be giving dd or her friends

Even at home it's rare, she likes the look, asks for it but rarely eats it lol

All dd eats at a party is mini hot dogs, cake, lollies, party pies
Her last party I ordered from the venue,
Fairy bread, party pies and sausage rolls, mini hot dogs, hot chips, lollies, Smith's chips, cordial and water

Over the years we have managed to get DS to eat a bit of fruit apples strawberries and frozen grapes but don't remember having seen fruit eaten at a kids party!

#13 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:59 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 17 July 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

Over the years we have managed to get DS to eat a bit of fruit apples strawberries and frozen grapes but don't remember having seen fruit eaten at a kids party!

i think as they get older, kids eat less fruit at a party.  But for the OP's age group, 1-3 year olds, fruit definitely gets eaten.  They eat grapes like theyre lollies. Especially if its a nice variety in toddler sized pieces.

#14 Riotproof

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:00 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 17 July 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

It’s the nicer fruit usually.. strawberries, blueberries, maybe pineapple.. it’s easier in summer when there’s watermelon.

#15 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:05 PM

Don't do popcorn or uncut grapes as they are both a chocking hazard at that age.
A play party place did a great idea for serving fruit which actually got eaten by 4 and 5 year olds, they put cut mixed fruit in waffle icecream cones.

Edited by Kiwi Bicycle, 17 July 2019 - 05:06 PM.

#16 Jamelex

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:12 PM

Make some kebabs with strawberry/watermelon/banana/marshmallows etc and drizzle a little bit of melted chocolate over them.

#17 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:23 PM

According to DD party food essentials are fruit, fairy bread and cake. I usually make some sandwiches too, and some vegetable sticks with the fruit (but usually only DD eats that). You can make jelly cups using fruit juice and gelatine for a slightly healthier take on it (or jelly orange wedges!). Homemade sausage rolls are good and can be made ahead.

Grown up food - for a morning party I do a fruit platter, croissants, tea and coffee. For an afternoon party it tends to be a cheese platter and bubbles/beer.

#18 Future-self

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:46 PM

In my experience lots of food doesn’t get eaten- particularly  at morning parties.

kids
Fruit kebabs
Jatz and cheese
Oreos or teddies in cars (tiny teddy driving a mars bar or similar)
Finger sandwiches (vegemite , ham)

Adults
Mini croissants (plain and chocolate)
Have party in a park next to a coffee shop and someone can do a coffee run!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.