Workplace happiness

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Judydoll

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:09 PM

What is one thing you love about your place of employment and/or that makes you happy being there?

#2 Future-self

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:11 PM

I think shared goals are important. One thing I love about my workplace is that everyone has a genuine desire to achieve what we're primarily there for.

#3 kimasa

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:11 PM

My colleagues. Awesome people work in libraries.

#4 MrsCee

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:15 PM

My line manager respects my experience (20 years), doesn’t micromanage me, trusts my judgment and gives me a fair whack of autonomy.

And I love the (special needs) kids I teach.

#5 kimasa

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:15 PM

Also some of the regulars. I LOVE seeing how happy the seniors in my tech classes get when they remember how to do something I've taught them. One came into the library with his walking stick in one hand, waving his ipad in the other, yelling "I STREAMED THE TELEVISION LAST NIGHT!“ last week. He was so happy that he remembered how to make ABC iView work.

Edited by kimasa, 17 July 2019 - 08:15 PM.

#6 ytt

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:17 PM

I've had a rough time lately with workplace satisfaction and happiness.

The one thing that really got me through last term was the kids (school). One student in particular that I've worked intensively with who has come such a long way :) makes me proud and sad at the same time because he leaves this year :(

#7 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:27 PM

The people I work with and my amazing boss who never bats an eyelid when I have to take off early for a sick kid, just says “on no you poor thing hope they feel better soon” :heart:

Edited by 28 Barbary Lane, 18 July 2019 - 06:03 AM.

#8 lozoodle

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:40 PM

I work with some really great people. I grumble about it from time to time, but honestly we've all worked together for so many years and they all have my back if I need them.

#9 jayskette

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:50 PM

My job:
what I studied
what I love to learn and do
no two days are the same
direct contribution to society
I can slack off here and there, and make up for it at other times
Small team comprising of capable, non-idiotic humans who care about THEIR work.
Bosses who walk the talk and who let me take on challenges, fail, and succeed.
Oh, it pays quite well too.

#10 BadCat

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:52 PM

Always busy.  Always.  All the time.

Work is boring if you have nothing to do.

#11 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:58 PM

I have more than one!

I love that we make a product, a physical item, and we all work towards making that item. And it’s a pretty cool item too. There isn’t much manufacturing in Australia anymore, it’s somewhat unique.

I like that I only have to work my 8 hours and then I get to go home, on time, almost every work day. I don’t work at home and I don’t have a work phone on me at all times. I don’t even have a work mobile.

I like that everyone at work is treated equally poorly, lol. We all are under paid, we all are treated like children, we all want better coffee and some tea bags in the tea room, we all want some flexible work hours. But at least it’s all equal, there is little resentment between people. We all just whinge together and get on with it.

I like that I don’t work in the city, and only have to drive 20-30 minutes to get to work, against traffic.

#12 darcswan

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:02 PM

Our mission. We have the opportunity to improve the lives of more Australians than anyone else. It’s heady stuff.

#13 blimkybill

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:02 PM

I work largely for myself from home, so my answer is not really in topic. However
- I love working from my lovely home and sitting in a sunny spot with my laptop and a cup of tea, rather than in an office
- I love making long term relationships with clients
- I love seeing results, even if they take a while
- I like that I have colleagues at arms length, i don't see them more than once a week, which is just right for me.
- In previous jobs, what I have liked most, apart from the actual work and the "clients" (kids), has been people who also love their job and are genuine and passionate.

#14 Meepy

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:11 PM

I like that we are a community that cares about each other.

#15 IamtheMumma

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:32 PM

The women. I love the excitement of the first antenatal visit and getting to know them. Its a buzz to see them after they've birthed and to meet the baby who I'd been palping in utero.

#16 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

I really like the work. I like using a mix of history and science to really get answers. I like making a difference to properties and making them safe.

#17 seayork2002

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:40 PM

I can walk around the corner home

#18 BornToLove

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:59 PM

My work hours. I’m part time and not spending 5 days a week in an office means I have the work-life balance to actually enjoy my job.

#19 lizzzard

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:02 PM

Making a difference.

#20 nom_de_plume

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:39 PM

My boss who also has young kids and just ‘gets it’.

The fact that I now work only 30min from home. Not missing the daily commute to the CBD.

#21 SynchronouslyIdle

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:02 AM

My boss always says family comes first.

I work on providing technology that helps the environment.

People in the office typically wear shorts and t-shirts - even the boss!

The people at my work are intelligent, talented, and have a great sense of humour.

#22 KwaziiCat

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:38 AM

For myself, flexible working hours no questions asked.

For everyone, family friendly.  Kids sick, no problem etc

#23 Ayr

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:02 AM

The fact I can do it from home and never have to see anyone or commute.... Ever. I am a hermit as a result and love it.

#24 Xanadu25

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

Acknowledgement.
Trust. Not micromanaged.  
School hours and increased if I choose which I have.
People I work with - even have a work wife now, lol .
Within 5 mins walking distance from home which includes school drop off on the way.
A good boss who puts back into the business and his staff.

And a "work conference"  to Fiji for all staff in August . :thumbs:
Last 3 yrs were to Bali so it was time for a change.

#25 Melbs2010

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

It's busy.  I have a decent leave balance due to working here for some time.

That is all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.