Gift help ...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 udontnome

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:01 PM

Posting here for more traffic;

My youngest son is turning 9 in a few weeks & I’m completely blank on what to get him so I’m desperately seeking ideas. I usually get LEGO but I want to avoid LEGO this time.  He is interested in;

Marvels/superhero’s
Fortnite
iPad/Xbox
Dinosaur
LEGO

We live close to Sydney so I thought marvel pack tickets to comic con but it’s not till over a month after his birthday.

#2 xx1stxx

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:06 PM

My 9 year old is right into beyblades at the moment.

#3 nasty snaugh

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:12 PM

My nearly 9 year old is all about Pokemon at the moment

Also, anything that involves building stuff - models, Meccano type stuff

#4 Jersey Caramel

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

My 9yo DS is really into Gravitrax, which is like a marble run system. You get a starter set and then extensions for it - handy for next xmas, or when relatives ask for gift ideas too.

We're also into board/table games,  so often get a new game of some sort for birthdays. We like Catan, Carcassone, Azul, Saboteur, Blokus, Gubs... to name a few.

Edited by Jersey Caramel, 17 July 2019 - 09:27 PM.

#5 seayork2002

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:53 PM

We loves smashers (Has done since he was 9)

#6 lizzzard

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:09 PM

My DS got some Fortnight collectibles for Christmas (soft toys) - we got them from EB Games. They were a hit.

#7 chicken_bits

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:01 PM

Get the tickets! He's old enough to understand that he can wait a month to experience the gift. Then get him something small to play with on his actual birthday.

For Christmas, we got the kids (ages 4 and 7) tickets to disney on ice. They didn't care that they had to wait 6 months. They still got presents on Christmas Day.

#8 Grrrumbles

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:21 PM

A new scooter was the standout gift for DS9. He used his vouchers to buy new headphones for the computer.

For Christmas I am thinking table tennis table or basket ball hoop. He also loves remote controlled anything - the Lambourgini from KMart gets used.

#9 Treasure Island

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:59 AM

I would go with the Marvel theme and get the tickets and some other merchandise to go with it for him to have on the day, maybe a costume he can wear to comic con. Marvel cake, super hero dress up party if he is having one...

#10 JBH

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

If you get the tickets, perhaps get a pack of Marvel Ooshies to unwrap on the day. My 8 year old and 12 year old both like those.

#11 udontnome

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:07 AM

Thank you all for your help - much appreciated.  

Does anyone know if comic con would be enjoyed by a 9 year old?

#12 Holidayromp

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:51 PM

View Postchicken_bits, on 17 July 2019 - 11:01 PM, said:

Get the tickets! He's old enough to understand that he can wait a month to experience the gift. Then get him something small to play with on his actual birthday.

For Christmas, we got the kids (ages 4 and 7) tickets to disney on ice. They didn't care that they had to wait 6 months. They still got presents on Christmas Day.

I agree plus it’s more ‘stuff’ that not only accumulated but sticks to the bottom of your feet (figurines I am looking at you here)!

As the kids get older the more I am into experiences!

#13 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

View PostGrrrumbles, on 17 July 2019 - 11:21 PM, said:

A new scooter was the standout gift for DS9. He used his vouchers to buy new headphones for the computer.

For Christmas I am thinking table tennis table or basket ball hoop. He also loves remote controlled anything - the Lambourgini from KMart gets used.

DD wants rollerskates for her upcoming 9th Bday.

#14 chicken_bits

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:00 PM

View PostHolidayromp, on 18 July 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

I agree plus it’s more ‘stuff’ that not only accumulated but sticks to the bottom of your feet (figurines I am looking at you here)!

As the kids get older the more I am into experiences!

I LOVE experience gifts. We have quite a lot of extended family that live interstate/overseas and often ask for gift suggestions for the kids. I always suggest experiences. It's easy for them to just send through money and the kids get a fun day out and remember that they got to go to xyz because of x family member. Much more memorable than yet another toy to add to the growing stash of unplayed with toys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.