Newborn nappy haul

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Disydo2018

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:29 AM

Hi everyone! Hubby and I went to a cloth nappy workshop at Nest Nappies in Brisbane yesterday and we are now equipped!! Spent an hour being told about different types etc and which ones just work for newborns and which ones work right through. We ended up with a collection of 30 including 5 terry towelling flats, 12 pre folds, 12 fitted newborn nappies (bambams), 6 covers and a couple of bonus things. All except the 12 fitted will last through to toddlerhood. Feels really exciting to be ready for baby. We also got some cloth wipes. Quick question - do people use creams or baby powder or so on when changing or is just water enough?

#2 rowd

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:33 AM

We only use cream if baby has nappy rash (not all nappy rash creams are OK to use with cloth nappies, so double check before using). Just water is fine for the cloth wipes. Reusable nappies and wipes are great!

#3 kerilyntaryn

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:42 AM

I never used powder,  only cream if they had a rash,  used the square cloth nappies

#4 José

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:56 AM

another who never used powder.
and rarely cream, only for a rash.

#5 Lallalla

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:00 AM

I used to make my own disposable wipes for a while there, using paper towel, baby wash (whatever you bath them in) coconut oil and essential oils - there are heaps of YouTube tutorials on it. Or you can get a cloth wipe system - this did not occur to me with my first and with my twins I was already overwhelmed by washing (both clothes and nappies for 3)

Normal baby powder is utterly useless as far as I can tell, the cornstarch one is better (particularly when my kids had hand foot and mouth for some reason). But cloth safe creams are better. If you are using modern cloth nappies (no idea abt terry flats) you can’t use zinc based creams like sudocream without a liner, and even with a liner it can be tenuous. I used to double line if the rash was bad enough we were using it.

There are lots of cloth nappy safe creams on the market that do work to an extent but you’ll probably have to try a few. I was a big fan of CJs BUTTer - but I think the exchange rate has made it not so viable option now.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

Once I converted to cloth full time, I just used water on facewashers (I had a nappy set & a bath set).

As for nappy creams, I only needed them when the kids were teething and used microfleece liners to protect the nappy. Amolin worked best for my kids & that isn't cloth nappy friendly. never needed them otherwise.

#7 Ivy Ivy

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:02 PM

I don't know whether this is correct but when my kids were babies a baby nurse told me not to use any baby powder, as its use on babies had been linked to causng gynae cancers or something later in life.  So I avoided it.
Pity, because it smells so good.

#8 Prancer is coming

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:05 PM

Good on you!  I really enjoyed using cloth.  Water is all you need for cleaning bottoms.  No need to get sucked into marketing gimmicks re essential oils or whatever.  And when out and about, I would just use my water bottle or tap water to wet them.  I used to have a container of water near my nappy change station for easy wetting.

You don’t need cream unless baby’s bottom gets a rash.  For me, I loved the curash cornstarch baby powder.  But different things work for different babies.  I used micro fleece liners.  Just bought a metre from spotlight and cut them up.  They are meant to wick water away from baby’s bottom and also keep nappy clean from creams.  Quite helpful for poos when baby is solids as easier to get rid of.  I would just wash liners and wipes with nappies.

#9 Disydo2018

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:37 PM

Thanks everyone!! All very helpful.

#10 Silver Girl

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

I used cloth wipes (and nappies). I bought them from a cloth nappy seller, but as PP mentioned you can just use washers, cut up terry towelling flat nappies, etc. I also never used powder, and cream only when nappy rash was present.

I had a trigger spray bottle (from Kmart etc) at the change table. Sometimes it had just water, sometimes I’d squirt a bit of baby bath wash into the bottle.

When I went to get my baby out of the cot, I’d spray a cloth wipe a few times before I picked up the baby, then it was ready for the nappy change. I would chuck wipes in the wash with the nappies.

Well done for going for cloth. I still get excited by a cloth nappy thread!

#11 Apageintime

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:52 PM

Another who never used any powder and only cream a couple of times when there was happy rash

#12 Disydo2018

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the encouraging, everyone! I feel very lucky to have found cloth nappies and am looking forward to using them from the start. I’m mainly motivated by environmental factors but it’s also going to be so much cheaper. And the patterns are all so cute!

#13 Hands Up

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:10 PM

I found that until mine were three months old they did need a barrier cream at every change or their skin got very red and inflamed. But we are a family with very sensitive skin, prone to eczema etc.

#14 cabbage88

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:32 PM

I use bamboo cloth wipes from cheeky wipes and their container, just leave them in there wet. Buying just container and wipes was all I needed.
Also check out cleanclothnappies.com.au and their Facebook group. Really helped me have a good wash routine. I simplified their routine a bit, but do a prewash every day and a main wash that's very long on my machine and my nappies never smell, never have ammonia build up and never stain.

#15 cabbage88

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:35 PM

View PostDisydo2018, on 21 July 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

Thanks for all the encouraging, everyone! I feel very lucky to have found cloth nappies and am looking forward to using them from the start. I’m mainly motivated by environmental factors but it’s also going to be so much cheaper. And the patterns are all so cute!
Exactly what I told my self six years ago, and now 4 kids in I will end up having saved 8-10k in nappies and they've all used the same ones, and none have been damaged to discard. Only replaced a couple elastics here and there

#16 Disydo2018

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

Thanks cabbage! I’ve had a look at that site, it’s really helpful.

Hands up, I also get eczema and sensitive skin so will have to monitor Bub :-)

#17 EmmDasher

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

Just water and cloth wipes for us. I’d avoid essential oils for wipes, it can be very irritating to the skin. You’ll be handling the wipes so they need to be non-irritating for you too.

I used CJ’s Butter for a cloth friendly nappy cream. I found using it frequently helped to prevent rashes. When I didn’t use it, they’d often develop some redness.we did have some stronger creams like sudocream and bepanthen but we rarely needed them.

#18 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:14 PM

I used curash powder with our kids only when a rash was starting. Mostly worked. We also used flushable liners as my kids were champion pooers. This helped when we had a couple of our breaks of fungal nappy rash and needed the antifungal creams. (We used the dettol wash for them during these periods too + sunshine)

#19 Disydo2018

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:44 PM

Thanks, I’ve notes down the recommended products :-)

Now I just have to try not to get addicted to all the cute nappy patterns out there...

#20 TinyGiraffe

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:33 AM

Have a look at clean cloth nappies website (https://cleanclothnappies.com/) and facebook group, this will allow you to setup a good wash routine and covers things like using creams (any cream is fine without needing liners as long as wash routine is good) and essential oils (not reccomended for against babies skin).

With good washing, a stay dry layer against bub and frequent nappy changes you shouldn't get any rashes.

Note that the "flushable" liners are not actually flushable and can cause problems with your plumbing or further into the sewer system so please don't flush them, they also generally hold the moisture against the skin and cause rash issues. If your nappies don't have a stay dry layer and bub is getting rashes, buy some microfleece at spotlight and cut to size (doesn't need sewing), then just wash and re-use.  

For wipes, I just use plain water.

#21 Disydo2018

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:54 AM

Thanks so much! A few of the nappies have stay dry layers and some don’t and the lady in the shop said it was personal preference...but good to know about the association with nappy rash!

#22 tarrie cat

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:39 AM

You may need to think about changing laundry powders. MCN don't tend to like all the brightners that are in plenty of laundry powders as it can affect their absorbancy. We ended up using laundry powder and soak from Tri-nature.

You will need a soak bucket so think about how you're going to set your buckets up. We bought two bucket with lids from Bunnings, a bigger one to go near the change table for the used nappies before their trip to the laundry and a smaller one in the laundry as a soak bucket.

Once you start with the nappies, I'd also recommend doing an empty load with hot water every once in a while to keep your washing machine clean and smelling good. I have a descaler that I throw in but I think you can do with washing powder too. (Reminds me I need to do our machine again!)

Edited by tarrie cat, 23 July 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#23 TinyGiraffe

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:37 PM

View Posttarrie cat, on 23 July 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

You may need to think about changing laundry powders. MCN don't tend to like all the brightners that are in plenty of laundry powders as it can affect their absorbancy. We ended up using laundry powder and soak from Tri-nature.

You will need a soak bucket so think about how you're going to set your buckets up. We bought two bucket with lids from Bunnings, a bigger one to go near the change table for the used nappies before their trip to the laundry and a smaller one in the laundry as a soak bucket.

Once you start with the nappies, I'd also recommend doing an empty load with hot water every once in a while to keep your washing machine clean and smelling good. I have a descaler that I throw in but I think you can do with washing powder too. (Reminds me I need to do our machine again!)

Re washing powders, this has been proven incorrect. Adequate dosing to properly clean the nappies along with a good commercial detergent are important to get a proper clean. Clean cloth nappies have a detergent index covering the hundreds they have tested, detailing the dosing required and how effective it is (aka, if it caused issues with smells or ammonia buildup.)

Soaking modern cloth nappies is not reccomended as this damages the elastics, creates a drowning hazard and is badically a bacteria soup.... it may also void your warranty. Again - reccomend clean cloth nappies website for info on dry-pailing.

ETA: I use OMO ultimate.

Edited by TinyGiraffe, 23 July 2019 - 12:51 PM.

#24 Disydo2018

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:54 PM

Thanks tinygiraffe. The shop told me I shouldn’t soak the nappies for the reasons you’ve said. I bought a bag from them for the dirty nappies that they said is breathable but won’t smell. They also recommended their own washing powder for normal washes and then something called mighty bubbles for a strip wash every six months or so. I’ll make sure to look at clean cloth nappies online.

I currently use earth laundry powder which the ahopthoight would be fine but I’ll check online.

#25 TinyGiraffe

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

Earth is definatley in the index although I can't remember how it performs. If your daily routine is good, you won't need to regularly strip wash them as that should only be used to correct a problem.

We have been doing full time cloth for 10 months now with no smells, stains or issues following the clean cloth nappies guidelines so can vouch that it works well and it was the owner of bubblebubs who directed me that way.

Once you have a routine, its really easy - its just very dirty laundry.. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.