10yo excessive sleeping

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:52 PM

So this holidays, DD seems to have turned into a teen or something. She no longer wakes up early in the morning, she has started to regard sleeping as a treasured activity rather than a punishment, etc.

I'm just worried about the duration. She'll sleep at about 9-10pm and wake at about 11-12pm next day, which I figured was just the teens coming on because I would easily sleep till midday. But on more than 3 occasions in the two weeks she's then gone BACK to bed and slept till 3-4pm! And then still apparently slept at night.

This seems crazy to me. I don't feel like people are built to sleep that much. I was worrying about chronic fatigue or something, but I guess with term starting if she is able to maintain her usual crazily hectic schedule then it's probably not that? But is this normal? She's not allowed screens in her room so unless she's sneaking it should not be watching TV or fiddling with her phone. She reads a little, but not enough for it to make up a lot of that time.

Has this level of sleeping ever happened with other kids?

#2 BornToLove

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:56 PM

It might be worth a trip to the doctor just to check her out. My first thought was mono, I had it in my teens and could easily sleep that much.

#3 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:58 PM

I have a 14yo and a 12yo and neither sleep that much. I don't think it sounds typical tbh. If it continues I'd see a GP.

#4 Riotproof

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:02 PM

Personally, I think that's a gp visit worthy.

I have been a bit worried about dd, but she is a lot younger and not as bad. I'm wondering about her iron as red meat isn't her favourite.

I will see how she goes once the routine is back.

#5 gettin my fance on

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:05 PM

My DD (now 19) could sleep for Australia, and what you describe would not be out of the ordinary for her now (even without partying contributing to her sleep needs).

Not even during early teenagerhood would she have slept that much and definitely not at 10.

Is your DD showing signs of puberty?

Definitely worth a visit to the GP even just for ease of mind.

#6 rileys-mum

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:15 PM

My DS 12 has also been doing this but he was diagnosed with glandular fever just before the school holidays.

#7 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:17 PM

View PostWTFancie shmancie, on 21 July 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

Is your DD showing signs of puberty?

Yeah she's been growing breast buds for the past several months so I've been wondering if it's related to that. And we do have some EXTREMELY strong sleep genes coming down both sides of the family...

I'll see if there are any issues keeping up with term time activities from this week. She might have just been seeking refuge in bed from her younger siblings (although she did genuinely seem to be asleep a lot of the times I looked in). But if she's still tired during the week I'll check it out.

Also have been googling and one thing they mention is asthma/allergies. She's got constant hayfever and has not been doing her sinus rinses so it's been flaring up - maybe that's doing something.

View Postrileys-mum, on 21 July 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

My DS 12 has also been doing this but he was diagnosed with glandular fever just before the school holidays.

Oh dear! Hope he's doing ok...

#8 Riotproof

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:20 PM

Best of luck, cmf. I hope it's something really simple.

#9 Prancer is coming

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:26 PM

Check up sounds good.  My 12 yo likes lazing around in bed.  A few years ago she would come home from school and sleep, which is not like her.  Turns out she had coeliacs disease and her iron levels were almost non existent.

#10 Paddlepop

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:28 PM

I’d be getting the obvious things checked out like glandular fever (EBV), iron and vitamin D. They all involve a blood test. Probably a good idea to get her checked for diabetes too just to be safe.

#11 pitzinoodles

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:40 AM

Deleted because I didn’t read the OP properly.

Edited by pitzinoodles, 22 July 2019 - 12:43 AM.

#12 Pocket...

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:43 AM

I thought diabetes as well. I recall a previous thread where the onset was very rapid so maybe see if any other symptoms present and go to the gp.

#13 mayahlb

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:06 AM

I’d definitely be seeing about a check up. We had something similar start with my youngest and the pead wanted it monitored and some bloods done to make sure it wasn’t anything suspicious. He was coming off some sort of virus according to his bloods.

#14 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:59 AM

Get a checkup. We did this for DD(blood tests 6wks apart as well)but in her case it turned out to be absolutely nothing. She is just a sleeper, her clock is different and she sleeps differently.
We even wormed her as well as ourselves, but no change.

#15 doubledelight

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:48 AM

Another who seconds a check up but balance this by saying that this could have been me.  Even now I can sleep like Rumplestilskin is my best friend.  My daughter is very much the same.

Is there also any signs of apneoa or issues with tonsils and adenoids?  This can often affect the quality of sleep.

#16 Mooples

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:14 AM

I slept like that when I had glandular fever, if she’s still tired now she’s back at school I’d go to the gp too.

#17 SplashingRainbows

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:41 AM

Check up. Coeliac disease screening too.

#18 born.a.girl

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

Agree on a checkup.  Daughter had glandular fever so badly she could barely stand up, and her urine looked like coke, but she had a couple of relapses in the couple of years following that just looked like exhaustion.  I believe about 80% of the adult population test positive for it, so obviously many have it to a much milder extent.

You really need to know if it's that because it is so often relapsing.

#19 Freddie'sMum

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:00 AM

Agree with all the PPs saying time to go to the GP for a checkup.

Our 11 year old DD has just this holidays starting sleeping in.  It's been a shock to me I can tell you !  She can't quite match her 14 year old sister but she has started sleeping in to 9am / 10am - this is not her usual sleep pattern.

Go get it checked out OP.  Best wishes.

#20 Kreme

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:00 AM

I’m not one to race off to the doctor but that doesn’t sound anywhere near normal to me, and I’d be getting a checkup.

My kids (13 & 11) do holiday sleep ins til about 9-9.30 but would never have an afternoon nap as well unless they are sick.

#21 EsmeLennox

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

My 14 and 17 year olds don’t sleep that much. At 10, I’d find it concerning.

#22 Baroness Bubbles

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:07 PM

How did she go this week, OP?

#23 CallMeFeral

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:52 PM

View PostBaroness Bubbles, on 26 July 2019 - 09:07 PM, said:

How did she go this week, OP?

She seems fine. And we've been having late nights, because haven't quite got our rhythm back. My son actually had to go in late to school because he was so tired but she has been fine (so far).

#24 ~Bob~

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:10 PM

I’ve had 4 that age. Mine are now 16, 14 and 2x11 and none have ever slept like that. Particularly at age 10. Though mine are all boys, if that matters.

I also think a GP checkup is a good idea. Though it’s promising that she is coping well this week.

Edited by ~Bob~, 26 July 2019 - 11:11 PM.

#25 WaitForMe

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:12 PM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 26 July 2019 - 10:52 PM, said:

She seems fine. And we've been having late nights, because haven't quite got our rhythm back. My son actually had to go in late to school because he was so tired but she has been fine (so far).

Glad she seems ok but I don't know... might be worth a checkup anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.