Help with 7 month old schedule PLEASE!

15 replies to this topic

#1 Davidoff-sensei

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

Looking for some help with our 7 month old ... His day varies by 30mins to 1 hour or so but its basically this.

Between 4:30am-5:30am wake up and first bottle.

First nap between 6:30-7:30am he can never seem to last longer than 2 hours here usually sleeps around an hour then wakes for a bottle.

Second nap around 10:30-11:30am sleeps around an hour sometimes an hour and a half and then bottle.

last nap is around 3-4pm this is where its a nightmare. For some reason by this time no matter what we do this nap is crazy. He will scream and scream and scream and fight it like no other. We've tried earlier/later nothing seems to work except a car ride ... he is so damn tired but just wont sleep?

Depending on how long it takes us to nap him we will wake him after 20 mins if it took ages or let him sleep about 45 mins (into a bottle). Then put him to bed around 6:30/7pm. Most of the time he will also wake for a night feed anywhere from 11:30pm to 2am. He can definitely sleep right through he has done it about 10 times total i would say but never continuous.

I feel like the issue is he's starting the day so early? and maybe ready to drop the last nap but i have no idea how when his day starts so early?

edit - for all naps he is put down awake and can fall asleep himself.

Edited by Davidoff-sensei, 22 July 2019 - 09:27 AM.

#2 Ellie bean

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:27 AM

Having seen your other thread I would talk to the doctor about trialling the reflux meds again? I took my dd off them too early (twice!) and only realised once she was back on that she really needed them still- no amount of routine could help her without the medication
I could of course be completely wrong and this may not apply to you at all
Best of luck

#3 Davidoff-sensei

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

View PostEllie bean, on 22 July 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

Having seen your other thread I would talk to the doctor about trialling the reflux meds again? I took my dd off them too early (twice!) and only realised once she was back on that she really needed them still- no amount of routine could help her without the medication
I could of course be completely wrong and this may not apply to you at all
Best of luck

Hey Ellie Bean, It doesn't feel reflux related to me. If he's picked up he's completely fine and smiling instantly and his other naps/night time bedtime put down are totally fine. He can lay there for 10-15mins and fall asleep on his own.

It's only the last nap of the day its weird.

#4 LittleMissPink

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:36 AM

Is he feeding right before that last nap? That might be an issue.

I'd keep trying to get him to sleep earlier- around 2pm- and feed him after the nap.

#5 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:37 AM

My first was similar. Last nap is always the hardest, I used to walk her in the pram for that nap. She also went to bed super early, 5.30-6pm! She would wake by 5.30 regardless of when she went to sleep, so I just put her to bed early. I liked having the whole evening to myself.

#6 LittleMissPink

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:38 AM

Do you follow feed-play-sleep as a routine?

#7 Davidoff-sensei

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:41 AM

View PostLittleMissPink, on 22 July 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

Do you follow feed-play-sleep as a routine?

Yes.

#8 AllyK81

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:42 AM

He is waking too early. That 4:30am wake up should be treated as a night feed. Feed and back to bed.

Have you tried a dream feed? That might get him through.

Then naps around 10am and 2pm.

Most babies try that early waking on for a week or two but they learn eventually that back to bed means back to sleep.

#9 400

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:58 PM

I also found that DS woke super early and when put back in bed would either carry on or just play. We were so tired we needed the morning rest so just consistently put him back into bed anytime he woke before 6.30am, and pretty soon he got what we were trying to tell him.

He usually will easily go down for another go and now wakes after 7 most days, and if it’s earlier he will either play in bed or go back to sleep until it’s time to get up.

We had a period at the same age with issues with the afternoon sleep- we found that he was trying to transition from 3 to 2 naps. By solidifying his night routine, a later morning wake up and therefore morning nap meant that he was the right amount of tired at the right time- I think he was overtired before because he was waking too early and we were using the afternoon nap to make up his hours. He was only sleeping 10-11 hours at night (not all at once unfortunately) when he really needed closer to 12.

Good luck!

#10 Apageintime

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:03 PM

Sounds ovetired. At that age I was just holding my bub for his last nap. It was what he needed yo feel calm.

If he's happy in your arms I would keep doing that

#11 c.sanders

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:05 PM

Is it possible he is being over stimulated? What activities is he doing most of the day?

#12 rowd

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:11 AM

At that age we had dropped the last nap, it's about the right time to, otherwise I'd ride it out with sleeping in the car for a few more weeks until you feel like it's time to drop it. There's no point in both of you getting really upset :)

I second those who have said to work on getting baby to sleep later. Definitely treat it as a night wakeup and just feed then straight back to bed.

At 7 months we were doing:
Wake up 7
Nap 930 (20-30 mins, I would wake him)
Nap 1230 (2-2.5 hours)
Bedtime 6-630, depending on nap length

Good luck!

#13 redchick

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:30 AM

It was a very long time ago but I still very clearly remember that both my boys went through a number of months when wake up time was 4.30/5 am (after sleeping through from 7pm). First nap of the day was then at 8.30/9 for a couple of hours then an afternoon sleep from 2-4pm. Absolutely nothing we did would change the wake up time to later but because they would nap for a good period of time in the morning we could catch our breath and they were well rested.

Sounds like your DS is over tired for that last nap of day. Like a PP said I’d try putting him down closer to 2pm.

All the best, those early morning wake ups make it such a long day!

#14 Zeppelina

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:59 AM

View PostAllyK81, on 22 July 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

He is waking too early. That 4:30am wake up should be treated as a night feed. Feed and back to bed.

Have you tried a dream feed? That might get him through.

Then naps around 10am and 2pm.

Most babies try that early waking on for a week or two but they learn eventually that back to bed means back to sleep.
This was my first thought too. He's starting the day too early, which means that he's overtired at the end of the day. Do you think you could try feeding him and putting him down again at that time? It might take a few nights (or even a couple of weeks) for him to get it.

#15 afterlaughter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:26 AM

Time from 4.30-6.30am should be spent trying to get him back to sleep. Dark room no interaction, what ever settling method you use but personally would also let bub nap as long as he wanted at the last nap and put to bed a bit later. If he is put to bed for night at 6.30pm, 4.30am is 10 hours in bed which is quite a long time for a 7 month old and maybe his maximum for now. My little girl has only got to 11 hours max overnight at about 1 year old before that it was 10 hours.

#16 Mollysdad

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:52 PM

Sounds like he needs a routine. We were in a very similar situation and used a sleep consultant her name is Christina Craig I believe the business is called little hands little feet...we had great results and have never looked back. Her approach was gentle and she supported us for 1week after. Our 9mth old baby is sleeping better now day/night and has a more predictable routine.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.