Recommend me a vacuum!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 GreyhoundLover

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

A bit about me.... I am a very lazy vacuumer and would like to feel motivated to do it more often. Our house is very old and difficult to keep clean so the floors get absolutely gross if I don't vacuum very regularly. We have wood floors and rugs.

I currently just use a little corded vacuum with a disposable bag.

Our kids leave lego all over the floor so a robot vacuum won't work for us.

Something with really good suction that is so easy to use so I feel like doing it often would be perfect!

Any recommendations???

#2 can'tstayaway

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

Dyson stick.

It isn’t as good as my Miele barrel vac but is so easy to use that vacuuming is done more regularly which is better than the Miele done irregularly.

The new ones have better battery life and the turbo head thing is great on rugs and carpets.

#3 just roses

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

My dyson stick was super handy. The dog ate a bit of it and I've so far been too lazy to get it replaced.

In the meantime, I bought the cheapo $89 kmart vacuum and it's been fantastic! It has very, very good suction and has plenty of handy attachments.

The catch is that it's heavy and quite a work out to use.

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

All your reasons are the reasons why we got a Dyson stick vacuum. It’s the best for hard floors and does a reasonable job with our rugs. Makes a quick clean much easier for a lazy person like me.

#5 linen_and_lace

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:00 PM

Love the Dyson stick too for the convenience factor.

However, the battery died in mine about a week after the 2 year warranty period ended, which I wasn't very happy about. Will be getting it fixed locally, but not sure I'd buy a Dyson again as have heard similar stories from other family and friends.

#6 ~9YearsLater

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:11 PM

I love my Dyson V8 for keeping on top of things but my Miele corded vac gets the job done better. So I believe to keep your floors clean, you actually need two vacuum cleaners. Seems excessive but one is for a daily, quick go-over and the other is for a weekly/fortnightly 'deep clean'

Edited by ~9YearsLater, 22 July 2019 - 12:11 PM.

#7 ~9YearsLater

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:13 PM

View Postlinen_and_lace, on 22 July 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

However, the battery died in mine about a week after the 2 year warranty period ended, which I wasn't very happy about. Will be getting it fixed locally, but not sure I'd buy a Dyson again as have heard similar stories from other family and friends.

Did you attempt to get it replaced by Dyson? Both my mum and I have had our V8 batteries replaced, no cost, outside of the warranty period. We also got given some good tips on how to keep the battery in good condition (ie. don't just use on high setting which we were both doing, don't put it on charge when the battery is hot to touch and use the plug in charger, not wall charger - I use the wall charger still though)

#8 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:14 PM

View Postlinen_and_lace, on 22 July 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

Ditto. I phoned Dyson (30 minute hold time): "We will send you a new battery and charger ... oh for $115". She then proceeded on a sales pitch about how 2 years really was a good time for it to last, but I should buy a $1000 new model (oh, I can have 25% off) because the technology has come so far.

Same day that I was told that my Dyson barrel model is a "retired model" so I cannot get parts.

Thus endeth my Dyson loyalty.  I am about to buy a Miele barrel model for the carpets and will consider what to do for the tiled downstairs - I do love the convenience of a stick vac, but am not sure I need to pay the premium for Dyson again.

#9 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:16 PM

It is interesting, Dyson currently have a notice on their web page that they are experiencing a high volume of calls ... guessing everyone's sh*t-sticks are dying at the same time!

#10 melbun

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

Stick vac.

I loathe loathe loathe vacuuming with the barrel (also Dyson) vac in our holiday house, but I don't mind at all whipping around with the cordless Dyson stick vac in our apartment.

We're about to replace the barrel vac with another stick.  I wish there was a comparable option to the Dyson, but I have read lots of reviews and the consensus seems to be Dyson comes out considerably on top.

#11 fouronthefloor

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:30 PM

I have 2 Dysons- one stick and one pull along. The stick worked ok until the battery died. $88 to repair and stopped working again. Wouldn't buy another one- reckon the suction was average and I was using it mostly on floorboards. The pull along still works fine but about 6 months ago I went back to a bagged vacuum and chose Miele. It works brilliantly. Yes it's a pain to buy and change the bags but it gets the job done properly. Will never buy another Dyson

#12 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

View Post~9YearsLater, on 22 July 2019 - 12:11 PM, said:

I love my Dyson V8 for keeping on top of things but my Miele corded vac gets the job done better. So I believe to keep your floors clean, you actually need two vacuum cleaners. Seems excessive but one is for a daily, quick go-over and the other is for a weekly/fortnightly 'deep clean'

Yeah we still have a big vacuum for big cleans, and the car. The stick isn’t good enough to get the crud from car mats. But the Dyson is used 10 times more often. And actually does a pretty good job on the carpet.

#13 MessyJ

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:58 PM

My Dyson stick vacuum is still going (mostly) strong 5 years on... the mostly is due to the fact the high setting no longer works, probably because I ONLY used to use it on high which I shouldn't have been doing...

Anyway, it's my only vacuum and I use it for all flooring types in my quite large house, plus our granny flat, the car and sometimes even the shed floor and back verandah! (naughty I know, but I hate sweeping!)

The fibers in the head are pretty sparse by now so I'm waiting for it to die so I can buy the newer model. Very happy with it's service so far!

#14 EmmDasher

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:37 PM

We have a basic Miele pull along one and also a Dyson stick vac. We mostly use the Dyson these days. The thing that drives me mad is the spinning head thing. 3 girls with long hair and that thing is forever embalmed in hair. I hate the job of cutting and removing it.

#15 Soontobe7

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:51 PM

I have a Bosch Athlet which I LOVE! It has great suction and stands up by itself. To charge you just attach the power cord and plug in anywhere.
I also bought a corded Bosch (think it's called a Runnin') also great suction.
Both cost under $600 so less than a Dyson.
I agree with a pp that you need both types of vacuums.

#16 Charli73

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:41 AM

View PostSkeptiHandsOnMum, on 22 July 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

Ditto. I phoned Dyson (30 minute hold time): "We will send you a new battery and charger ... oh for $115". She then proceeded on a sales pitch about how 2 years really was a good time for it to last, but I should buy a $1000 new model (oh, I can have 25% off) because the technology has come so far.

Same day that I was told that my Dyson barrel model is a "retired model" so I cannot get parts.

Thus endeth my Dyson loyalty.  I am about to buy a Miele barrel model for the carpets and will consider what to do for the tiled downstairs - I do love the convenience of a stick vac, but am not sure I need to pay the premium for Dyson again.
I got the same information when my handheld died so found a replacement battery on eBay. Non genuine but has been fantastic.

#17 Expelliarmus

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:50 AM

I definitely vacuum more with my Dyson stick. It does a better job than any other we’ve had and the fact I don’t have to wrestle with cords or a bag means I actually do it now.

#18 Sentient Puddle

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:16 AM

Another one with Dyson love.  I have had about 3 Dyson sticks over 8 years - but I only buy the cheap ones when on sale (about $300) - so when they die I just replace them.  I have 2 long haired big dogs and inside cats - so that Dyson comes out every second day and sometimes every day.  I haven't used my big vacuum cleaner in a year or two.  Yes they can die randomly - sometimes Dyson will replace parts and sometimes they wont - but for ease of use and pure suction power over a range of flooring - the Dyson stick is the shiz!

#19 bubskitkat

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:06 AM

What’s Miele model do people recommend. I’ve been eyeing these off for over a year. Really like the cat & dog models.

#20 EmmDasher

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

We just have the basic Miele - it was about $300 and it’s a pretty blue colour, s5211 I think. It does a great job.

#21 can'tstayaway

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:53 AM

I have the Miele cat and dog as well as the cheaper, Miele compact. The machine itself is as good as each other. The differences are the extras like the powerhead, tools storage and filters.

I keep my cat and dog downstairs where there is more dog hair and it’s easier to get to the car (I’ve got a mini turbo head which is fab for getting dog hair out of the car’s carpet). The compact is upstairs. We don’t have any carpet or rugs so no need for the powerhead. It’s light so I can easily lift it onto the stepladder when I vacuum the cornice and lights of cobwebs.

Edited by can'tstayaway, 27 July 2019 - 09:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.