How much has IKEA infiltrated your home? (fluffy)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 decisionsdecisions

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:43 AM

After buying an IKEA cube storage unit for my DD's bedroom last weekend, looking around the house I can't believe how much IKEA furniture and knick knacks we have in our house.

I have probably been to IKEA less than a dozen times in my life yet we have:

Kids bedrooms: cube storage unit & wardrobe each

Main bedroom: bedside lamps

Snug: lounge suite, coffee table, lamp, picture frames

Study: storage cabinet

Bathrooms; small storage in the vanities

Area off of hallway: wall of bookcases

Kitchen: wall clock, utensils

Living/Dining: floor lamp, picture frames

Garage: tool set (!)

Only the laundry is IKEA free. Is IKEA as prevalent in your house as mine?

#2 Beancat

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

Not overly - but where cheap, disposable furniture is ok it has.  So the main ikea stuff we have is cubes in all of the kids bedrooms and play room, one of those toy storage things with the slide out buckets and some bookshelves in the study

Oh and a few of their kids plastic plates and cups from when the kids were little

We don't have any other stuff.  Along the way we had a few toys and toy hampers but they have all gone now

#3 seayork2002

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

Over the years tonnes (we move a lot) but now just a couple of bits

2 dining tables and chairs, 2 Poang chairs a rug and a lamp and various small bits.

We have had the same rug here and overseas so we have owned 3 of the same rug

DH and I love going for the food at the cafe alone (I have taught him to ignore what I put in the yellow bag and on the trolleys)

#4 hills mum bec

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

We have a few bits and pieces from IKEA.

Cube storage, bunk bed and a desk in DD2's bedroom.  She also has toy pots & pans and quite a few Ikea stuffed toys.

A shoe storage cupboard in our dining room that we use for paperwork/filing.  Chair cushions on the dining chairs.

A strip light on our bar.  Wine glasses.

The sliding bucket storage in the kid's play area.

Sliding metal basket storage in all the wardrobes and Ikea coathangers.

Wire storage bins in the pantry.  Ikea apron.  Plastic bowls & plates.  Various utensils and food storage containers.

DD1's bedroom has the most IKEA content.  We bought her a desk from there for Christmas along with a desk lamp and a canvas all from IKEA.  She has been working a part time job for a few months now and last weekend spent some of her earnings on a new double bed and cube storage from IKEA.

#5 amdirel

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

I don't have too many things tbh, but my DD does occasionally request to go to Ikea as a 'fun activity' on the weekends.

#6 Cimbom

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

TV unit and bookshelves

#7 ERipley

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:31 AM

Not much. In the past we bought a set of drawers that fell apart. We have a bed in the spare room that’s falling apart. I think IKEA mostly looks ok but the materials are such poor quality that they don’t last. It’s fine if you need a stop-gap, but it’s a false economy and I now that I can choose I would rather buy things that are going to last. Our consumerist culture is pretty appalling and things that are made up fall apart in a few years are really driving it.

#8 annodam

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:32 AM

Zip, I look for good quality second-hand items, cannot STAND IKEA!

#9 melbun

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:38 AM

In our holiday house, an entertainment unit, bookshelves and drawer units in the wardrobes.

In our apartment chests of drawers, an entertainment unit and shelves/cupboards in my husbands office.

Sundry canisters and kitchen stuff.

In my last house I had an entire room kitted out as a dressing room with Pax units and I would do so again if I had the space.

But I've never thought of Ikea for 'proper' furniture like dining tables/chairs, sofas and beds.

#10 tarrie cat

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:52 AM

Their cheap stuff is horribly cheap and guaranteed to fall apart but they do make some good stuff. I'm sitting next to three half-size billy bookcases.

I like their rugs too. Well, I like the rug we have that they don't make any more. But eventually it will be replaced by something more expensive once the kid has grown up a bit.

We bought one of their more expensive chairs at the start of the year. There's definitely a step up in materials and construction when you spend more.

Really like their kids stuff though. We have the rainbow bowls, cups and plates. The kid's room has a chest of drawers, storage unit, rug and a bedside lamp that she chose.

#11 Crooked Frame

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

We have heaps.

Lounge room: armchair, entertainment unit, DS's toy kitchen, chest of drawers (for all of DS's art and craft stuff- purchased just yesterday, still to be built!)
Kitchen: utensils
Bathroom: step stool
Study: computer chair, storage bench, bookshelves, coffee table
Guest room: bed, bedside tables, desk, wardrobe, chest of drawers.
Our room: bedside tables, lamp
Baby's room: cot, cot mattress, change table, bookshelf, chest of drawers.
DS's room: bed, mattress, bookshelf, table and stool, Trofast storage tubs, storage shelves, rug.

We've had the baby gear since before DS was born, so about 5 years now. We've had our bedside tables for 7 years. Everything has held up really well and we have no plans (or need) to replace any of it any time soon.

Edited by Crooked Frame, 23 July 2019 - 12:06 PM.

#12 4kids mostlysane

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:57 AM

Lounge room - 2 couches, ottoman and rug
Son's room - bed, mattress, desk and tall boy
Kitchen - tones of kids plates, cups, cutlery plus cutting boards, silicon baking mats, rolling pin and baking mat thing (that you roll pastry out on)
Rumpus room- expedit storage x 5 plus desk and chair
Daughter2 room- couch plus expedit cubes
Daughter 3&4- bunks, cupboards
Bathrooms- floor mats
No ikea furniture in mine and DH's room.
Yikes! We have a lot of ikea stuff!!

#13 PaulaHall

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:00 PM

quite a bit, the cube units in bedrooms and in kitchen, our dining table and chairs and a couple of coffee tables in the lounge room

#14 José

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:18 PM

i dont have a single thing from ikea.

#15 Sentient Puddle

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:21 PM

View PostERipley, on 23 July 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

Not much. In the past we bought a set of drawers that fell apart. We have a bed in the spare room that’s falling apart. I think IKEA mostly looks ok but the materials are such poor quality that they don’t last. It’s fine if you need a stop-gap, but it’s a false economy and I now that I can choose I would rather buy things that are going to last. Our consumerist culture is pretty appalling and things that are made up fall apart in a few years are really driving it.

My 5 x 5 bookcase is over 10 years old and I got it second hand from a friend when she was moving overseas.  Our 3 seater couch with covers you can wash is almost 10 years old and is going very strong.  I think that my anecdata doesn't cancel out yours but if you buy a $50 desk then you have bought a cheap crappy desk.  If you spend a bit more and you can at ikea then you get some really durable stuff.  Not everything but our first expensive couch purchase from Freedom was one of the crappiest things we have ever bought as well.  All companies seem to do good stuff and bad stuff and often you don't know until you use them.

#16 OrangeSprout

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:25 PM

not at all.
we don't have it in my home state.

#17 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:25 PM

We love Ikea.

Actually have 5 dining chairs to build to replace the Freedom chairs which bust.

I build Ikea really well so lasts. Have a set of drawers 20years old.

Bookshelves are over 10 years old plus moved 3 times.

Oz design and freedom furniture has died well before the ikea. Only thing that died of ikea was a Malm QS bed..... but it lasted for over 10 years before it died.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 23 July 2019 - 12:27 PM.

#18 bec578

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

Way too much, I don't want to embarrass myself. But it's been bought over the last 20 years

#19 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:00 PM

View PostERipley, on 23 July 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

Not much. In the past we bought a set of drawers that fell apart. We have a bed in the spare room that’s falling apart. I think IKEA mostly looks ok but the materials are such poor quality that they don’t last. It’s fine if you need a stop-gap, but it’s a false economy and I now that I can choose I would rather buy things that are going to last.

The problem is they have some awesome stuff and some crappy stuff and it can be hard to tell which is which. I have a 20yo mirror rotating wardrobe from them that looks as good as new but cost substantially less than JUST a mirror at the time, and the bunk beds from my childhood got used till I was 20 (now in storage but they'll be out again). Expedit shelves still going strong too. The daybed we got though is a few years old only and never felt solid.

Mostly you can tell by feel - their solid stuff FEELS solid and their crappy stuff doesn't, but there's a bit of room for error. We have two kids table chairs that I TOLD DH to buy more of but he didn't, and they are no longer sold - they are so solid they've frequently had a heavy adult (DH or I) on them when we're short of a chair, the kids use them to stand on while cooking, build with, and they are by far the most solid and most used items in our house for the last 9 years. The ones Ikea sold a few years after that though were trash and even though we needed more chairs we didn't buy them.

House full of Ikea here. Apart from the day bed we seem to have been lucky and gotten the good stuff.

#20 laridae

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:15 PM

I have no Ikea at all. I've visited one once. I do live in a state that doesn't have a store though.

#21 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:16 PM

Mostly the kids stuff. Kids storage units in both rooms. And kids plates cups and cutlery. And it’s all in really good condition 5 years later! Even the plastic plates.

Also have a big wall unit in the dining area.

I think that’s it. Maybe... probably...

#22 Inkogneatoh

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:21 PM

None, but our closest store is over 600km away. However there is a collection centre just down the road, so little to no delivery fee to my town. As a result I've browsed online several times, but not actually bought anything. I just have a preference to see things in person as I have issues gauging size from written dimentions.

#23 ainira

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

Most of my house is IKEA :lol: The Billy book case that my dad hacked (literally) into two halves is still going strong 20+ years later. One holds my kids' books; my parents have the other half.

The $14 folding chairs that we've been using as dining chairs when DH and I first moved in together 13 years ago are still going well and in good nick.

Edited by ainira, 23 July 2019 - 01:33 PM.

#24 Sentient Puddle

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:39 PM

I should actually answer the question.  In this room we have the Expedit bookcase, the 3 seater couch and the desk and study lamp.  We also have a billy bookcase and lots of storage baskets.

In the kids rooms DD has a desk, bedside table and bookcase. In the lounge a wing back chair and a side table.  We have some crockery and candles and cushion covers as well.  DS has a double bed that is just marginally smaller than his double mattress that was purchased elsewhere and I hear is an issue with Ikea bed sizing (which we had to hack slightly to fit).  

The only thing that was crappy and disposable was a desk we purchased for DD.  It looked crappy in the store and turned out crappy and we replaced it earlier in the year.  Everything else is going strong up to 15 years later.

#25 froglett

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

Not huge amounts.

One rug in the front foyer, the kids cups / bowls, a potty and step for the toilet and a poang rocking chair (from when DD was a baby). A couple of towels.

Oh and two bright yellow metal chairs we have in the downstairs office - they've been great quality.

I think their quality is fine - just depends on what you buy there. The towels are excellent quality.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.