How much has IKEA infiltrated your home? (fluffy)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:01 PM

95% of my house?

Our actual kitchen including 3 pantries and exhaust.
Also, crockery, pots and frypans (the $25 frypan we bought from them like 8 years ago, we just got rid of. The two different Scanpans that we've had only lasted about 2 yeas each). Also baking trays and ummm mixing bowls and a heap of other stuff.

Dining table and chairs

4 diff glass door storage cabinets

6 wardrobe sections in DH and my bedroom
curtains in DH and my bedroom

Mirrored bathroom cabinets

DS's entire room of furniture (including cot, change table/bookcase, cube storage unit, wardrobe)

DSDs entire room of furniture (including desk, bunk bed, chair, sets of drawers, curtains lol)

Our backroom that is currently being renovated has 2 more glass door storage cabinets to be installed once we are done.

When we renovate the laundry it will be IKEA as well.

In my experience, IKEA stuff is awesome, so long as you don't move it around too much.

Edited by FeralRebelWClaws, 23 July 2019 - 02:01 PM.

#27 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:15 PM

Ok.
Lounge-
Billy bookcase x 3.
Coffee table
Tv uni.

Study-
Bookshelf
Desk
Stool
General storage items.

Kitchen-
Step stool
Glasses
Kids cups, plates, bowls and cutlery.

Toy area
Storage cupboard.

Outside
Hanging swing.

Main bath
Step stools

Kids room
Bedside table.
Boxes for storage.

Our room
Boxes for storage.
(We did just get rid of our 15 year old drawers.)

#28 spr_maiden

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:43 PM

A bit here and there. We've had some old furniture fall apart in the last two years, and our bedroom is tiny - trying to find replacement drawers that fit was a real pita. Ikea came through.
Our ikea lounge is 12 yrs old and still comfy to sleep on.

A couple of small cube shelves, a dining table that's 6yrs old and counting.
A photo frame or two,  some storage boxes here and there in the cupboards. I've been waiting for the last of our ikea plates to break for around 5 years now,  so those are about 10yrs old. A desk chair and a kids dining chair.

That's enough.

#29 gracie1978

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

Omg I'm a showroom

Rugs
Beds
Couches
Dining chairs
Lamps
Bed side tables
Bookcases
Desk
Sofa chair
Toys
Storage baskets

#30 can'tstayaway

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

I prefer IKEA to some other mid range trendy stores. IKEA don’t rip off other designers. Even when they want designer to a price point, they pay the original designer to do it within that criteria.

I’ve got a mix of furniture and IKEA has its place. Our dining chairs are IKEA with the slip covers. I don’t stress about the kids and dirty handy etc because I can just wash them. The table is antique and the mix of old and new works well.

My wardrobe is PAX and Komplement. The other bedrooms all have bespoke custom made cabinetry but I got so annoyed dealing with the cabinetmakers that I just told them to forget it. The idea was that the IKEA would be a stop gap until I could face tradies again but they’re working so well that I don’t think I’ll bother changing anytime soon.

The pasta strainer is awesome and so are the little lanterns for tea lights.

We’ve had the expedit and Trofast systems when the kids were younger. I’ve got a few billy bookcases around too. The youngest has the Alex on casters as LEGO storage.

#31 got my tinsel on

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:44 PM

Not nearly enough.

DD's bed and chest of drawers (15 years and as new)

Desk (15 years and starting to show wear)

TV unit and 4 x billy glass door bookcases (10 years and as new)

Hat stand (5 years)

Lamp table (2 years and only $2!)

Colander (20+ years) and assorted kitchen utensils and cutlery.

Am looking at a queen bed for the spare room as our 30 year old Freedom bed finally carked it and it looks like IKEA is the only place that has one low enough to fit under the window.

#32 EmmDasher

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:46 PM

We have mostly kids stuff - desk & chair, trofast toy storage. We also have the excellent PS2012 chest of drawer.

In the past we have had more but I’ve moved it on in favour of long term, better quality items. I do love their wardrobe systems though and we’ll be getting them and also the Hemnes daybed at some point in the next 12-18m.

#33 MsLaurie

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:15 PM

We have hemnes bookcases, drawers and bedside tables in our room; water glasses & wine glasses & plastic kids plates etc in the kitchen; a couple of half height Billy’s in the entryway; baby playmat and high chair for bub; wardrobes for both kids, and some cube storage and play kitchen & accessories for the big girl.
Given that up to 18 months ago we lived literally walking distance to ikea I consider that very modest!
For perfection of form (& price!) the high chair really is the best.

#34 Hollycoddle

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:15 PM

One shower curtain.  I went out to our local store originally to look at some linen I saw in the catalogue but I found the doona cover sets to be very thin and pretty poor quality.  I would never buy furniture from there, cheap and nasty.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 23 July 2019 - 04:23 PM.

#35 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:36 PM

Oh I forgot the toys and linen and baby towels.

#36 dadwasathome

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

Every single room has at least one ikea unit, some multiples. Then there are all the other bits and pieces. Not quite an IKEA home, but at least 75%

#37 jovana

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:33 PM

We have:

Kitchen: pots, cutlery, plastic cups/plates, ALL the crockery is from IKEA,  plates, bowls etc , plastic food containers, glasses

Living room: tv unit, rugs, cushions, potted plants, curtains

Bedrooms: all the DDs storage fortoys and clothes, mattress, some blankets, pillow/mattress protectors, storage boxes etc

Bathroom: towel rack

Laundry: cupboard

There's probably things I missed

#38 jayskette

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:51 PM

bathroom vanity, manchester, linen, chairs, desk, kitchen stuff, food, stationery, storage cubes and casing, bed, mattress

#39 robhat

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:03 PM

The IKEA furniture in our house directly corresponds to our stage of life when the IKEA store appeared in the neighbouring suburb...

So our basic furniture pre-kids, adult bedroom set, dining table, coffee table couch etc is all non-IKEA.

The kid's bedrooms are ENTIRELY IKEA furniture apart from the built-in wardrobes. We also have a lot of book shelving in the lounge room and my entire sewing desk and storage area. A few bathroom bits and pieces and loads of stationery and 'small office storage' stuff. Oh and kid's tables and chairs and all that stuff. Also got an old highchair stored away that we no longer need.

I have videos of my daughter building her first IKEA flat pack furniture when she was 3...  :D

#40 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:16 PM

Varde kitchen, it's about ten years old and still looks excellent and is solid.

Billy bookcases and Trofast storage units.  Hemnes bathroom vanity which is withstanding some pretty brutal usage with the medical stuff that happens in our bathroom.

There's some right crap sold at IKEA but the higher end stuff is good quality.

#41 Dianalynch

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:20 PM

Lots of IKEA here, we have little time and inclination for home decoration. Our living room kivik sofas, besta tv units, billy bookcase, dining room storage units, ds’s bed frame, our bed frame and side tables, a rug, three desks, kallax storage in the kids’ rooms, I think that’s it.

#42 Lallalla

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:27 PM

To those saying Ikea stuff doesn’t last, my parents still have a table they bought from there in the mid-late 1980s... that said I would never ever get another Ikea double bed as they all have the same crappy base my old one did.

In the meantime we have 2 Ikea couches (they have machine washable covers -‘which with small children and pets I cannot go past), 3 Ikea arm chairs, multiple bookcases, billy and kallaxes, some kids junior chairs, a shoe cupboard ...

#43 little lion

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:07 PM

Cooking utensils, glass storage containers, kids’ crockery and cutlery, ziplock bags and a step stool. That’s just the kitchen. The rest of the house is mostly Malm chests of drawers and cube storage. And the dining room chairs.

#44 JoanJett

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:51 PM

As someone who has lived in multiple Australian cities and a few cities overseas, I will say this - IKEA has been a touchstone for me at times.  When you're overwhelmed, feeling lost, jetlagged and feeling all sorts of uncomfortable, there's something reassuring about following the arrows.

I have some very expensive furniture.  I also have IKEA furniture - it is functional, reliable and it serves its purpose.  For us, the kids' playroom storage and decent desks  in their "higher" range have been invaluable.

And I also like their Christmas gingerbread DIY houses ;)

#45 tarrie cat

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:04 PM

The billy bookcases are the best! We have two full height ones and four half height ones. It's a bookcase, it doesn't have to be fancy.

#46 Jingleflea

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:05 PM

I don't have much because my house is pretty well set up with quality furniture that is built to last(that I'm bored shirtless of!) so I have 3 Raskog trolleys(love them!), the kid's hat stand in DD's room(that she never remembers to hang things on), 4 placemats, a tea towel and their pegs. Love their pegs!

I go for their frozen food mostly, the potato cakes with leek and cheese, the crepes, the lollies (if they still sell the pick and mix), the frozen meatballs...

#47 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:46 PM

I'm sitting on one of my two Ikea sofas, with my feet on an Ikea rug. I have an Ikea cushion behind my back and my wine is sitting on an Ikea chopping board that rests on the flat arm of my Ikea sofa. Does that answer your question?

#48 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:47 PM

Heaps.
I don't know about 'not built to last'. We have some Ikea stuff we bought 25 years ago!
Ensuite - hemnes bedside table serving as cabinet.
My bedroom - a second hand Ektorp lounge I bought a new cover for. Tea lights.
Bathroom - pine shelving unit,  it's the one we bought 25 years ago.
Son's room - Expedit 4x4, Trofast Lego storage, Billy bookcase, and the curved desk of an Ikea bunk sitting on an Ikea trestle.
Youngest daughter - Hemnes chest of drawers and a glass and iron desk thingy.
Family room - Klippan sofa.
Kitchen - various utensils, including one of those things that spins in the centre of the table.
I also have various bits of Ikea fabric, and wrapping paper,  and soft toys, and doonas, and cushions, and lamps.
We used to have the highchair extendable toddler bed. It was a godsend when we were in a too-small house when DD#3 was a toddler.
Not to mention we always buy meatballs if we go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.