first periods

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 casper1675

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

My DD is 11 and I have noticed that we're defiantly getting a bit of BO over the holidays. as well as many other little signs of puberty I have a feeling that we are heading straight for her first period, if she's like me it'll happen before the end of this year.
So I was going to set her up with a little box to keep in the bathroom and have a little chat to her about what you do if I'm not around (I start work before she gets up most mornings, and she's with her grandparents once a week)

but thanks to my IUD I haven't had a period in 6 years. so I have no "in date" supplies for emergencies (on a side note, do pad's go "off" after a couple of years? or would they still be usable?)

what products do your early teen/teen girls like? I had a look online and started feeling a bit overwhelmed! are there any brands/styles that fit little bodies better?

Ideally I'd like to get her set up with cloth pads/period undies, but she can be a bit lazy, so I'd rather focus on one thing at a time before throwing soaking and washing into the mix.

#2 MissHLH

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:03 PM

You can visit the libra/kotex/carefree websites and request trial packs they'll send out.  That way you'll have a stash of pads with different shapes that can be tried.

I can't imagine pads would go off though.  I mean, maybe eventually, they'd be less sticky.  Guess if you've got some old ones you could just open one and try in for a few hours to make sure it still sticks.

#3 Beancat

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:04 PM

Id start with some slimline pads and some wipes.  She probably wont use tampons to start with.  But these undies look great, I agree.  I don't use them as my flow is too heavy but I intend on getting them for my girls

#4 Kreme

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:17 PM

My DD started showing signs of puberty at 9 and didn’t get her period until 12.

I bought the smallest pads I could find from the Libra Girl range. They have daytime and overnight ones. And I bought a few different period undies in different styles and brands.

I bought a pencil case from Typo and we put in a couple of pads, a pair of period undies in a ziplock bag and a travel pack of wipes. She kept that in her school bag and of course her first period arrived when she was on an excursion without her school bag! She had to raid the first aid kit but all turned out ok.

Now for the first couple of days she wears period undies with a pad. She can just rip the pad off and dispose of it part way through the day and just use the undies until she gets home. That way she doesn’t have to carry anything into the school bathroom with her.

#5 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

As above - I bought a few different types and requested trial packs from the different companies as well.

DD started using tampons pretty quickly - second or third period - as she did surf club and squad swimming training, so she was pretty keen.  She prefers the applicator ones.

And have a few stashes - bathroom, school bag, locker, sports bag, usual weekend bag, and I kept one in my and DH's car.   The more the better - they all get used eventually.

#6 Beancat

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:47 PM

View PostKreme, on 23 July 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

My DD started showing signs of puberty at 9 and didn’t get her period until 12.

I bought the smallest pads I could find from the Libra Girl range. They have daytime and overnight ones. And I bought a few different period undies in different styles and brands.

I bought a pencil case from Typo and we put in a couple of pads, a pair of period undies in a ziplock bag and a travel pack of wipes. She kept that in her school bag and of course her first period arrived when she was on an excursion without her school bag! She had to raid the first aid kit but all turned out ok.

Now for the first couple of days she wears period undies with a pad. She can just rip the pad off and dispose of it part way through the day and just use the undies until she gets home. That way she doesn’t have to carry anything into the school bathroom with her.

Remember the days of stuffing huge surfboard pad up your jumper sleeve to quickly run from the locker to the bathroom.....so embarrassing and inconvenient.  We had those kilts with no decent pocket in them.  A friend gave me the hot tip that she used to store a second pad on the inside of her tights across her tummy (like where you would have a ceasar scar) - no one noticed it in winter with layers of clothes on and no working out how to get said pad from locker to sleeve to bathroom!!!

#7 Manicmum

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

I need to do this too, I think I may hav 12 months. Swimmer though, so tampons too... thoughts??

#8 robhat

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:48 PM

My daughter is also 11. I have bought her a few cool cloth pads and have a pack of the Libra Girl pads on hand. She knows about them. In fact I've also bought her a nice cloth pad pouch which currently has a disposable Libra girl pad in it stuffed in her school bag along with a change of undies. We've had a chat and she knows she's free to use whatever suits her and where I keep them and I'm happy to help her with whatever. She's also at the point where she now needs deodorant daily as well as facewash and pimple cream! Poor kid!

I have even taken to taking along a pad for her when we go away on holidays, just in case. And yes, I make sure she packs that stuff in on any excursions or camps. She rolls her eyes at me, but I just tell her that the day she needs it, she'll thank me!

#9 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:58 PM

View PostManicmum, on 23 July 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

I need to do this too, I think I may hav 12 months. Swimmer though, so tampons too... thoughts??

I bought a couple of boxes of the mini's (as they are so small) and told her to experiment with them.  Not to worry if she 'wasted' them - just have a practice.

As I said above, she prefers the applicator ones now, as they are easier to get in the right place.

#10 amdirel

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:33 PM

Similar to you OP, I  haven't had a period  in almost 13 years!! So I stood at the supermarket shelf for aaaages trying to decipher all the different brands and products.

We've ended up with 'U' brand (by kotex maybe?), but it's the one with all the trendy colours and packets. Very much marketed at teens, so DD has been happy with that so far (it's only been a few months).

As for tampons, I did as a PP did- bought a box of mini ones and told her to experiment. She has, twice, with no luck. I wonder if I should get the applicator ones...

I also bought her a little zipper clutch (looks a bit like a small pencilcase) to keep a few pads and a spare pair of undies in her school bag.

#11 Ferelsmegz

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:46 PM

My DD is the same age (12 late this year)  and I also have an IUD so didn't really have anything in the house for periods.

I have since got some liners (she has a bit of discharge as well) and in her school bag she has a little 'kit' of pads, liners, spare changes of undies and travel wipes pack.

I have actually had to stock up some of my stuff too as I have started spotting (which I havent done in 10 years!!)

I havent bothered with tampons.. she knows what they are etc but is happy to use pads to begin with.

ETA - we have been talking about getting some period undies too so will trial them

Edited by Ferelsmegz, 23 July 2019 - 04:47 PM.

#12 lucky 2

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:23 PM

Libra girl pads and some Thinx bikes short undies. You can wear them over undies. Dd has x small size and they've stretched overtime.

#13 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:33 PM

DD went to tampons on her second period. Then asked me to buy them without applicators because she was taking them out to then insert them manually. So it is not always a problem.

I had just given her a toiletries bag with a range of options from the start.

If you are keen for tampon use due to swimming etc, consider buying minis and some lubricant for practice.

I think that the underwear is a great reassurance for them, even if they are going to use sanitary products.

I am buying DD a menstrual cup to try next - I certainly wish I had used one from early on.

#14 .Jerry.

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:37 PM

Thinx undies are amazing.

You don't need to use a pad with them.  They even have new ones apparently that can hold 4 tampons worth of blood!

DD got her period aged 10.  It was very heavy.  She used a pad in thinx undies, then would dispose of the pad at break time, just using the undies until end of day.  
Meant she didn't need to fuss about with carrying a pad with her.
A light period would be handled fine by Thinx undies.

Always good to have a little kit with pad, spare undies etc.

#15 kerilyntaryn

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:10 PM

I started getting prepared around 7 as noticed breast buds developing,  she got AF at 9.  We had books at talks and got little cases with items in them.  It was good to get a variety of items from different copies,  you can request free samples.  Libra girl is good, but my daughter likes to use the overnights for school

#16 nom_de_plume

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:05 PM

I was older when I got my period (almost 14), but I used pads for the first day and thought they were revolting so went straight to tampons. Have never used an applicator in my life. I would definitely also buy her some of the mini/slim tampons, especially if she’s active.

#17 Lou-bags

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:18 PM

I agree include a range of tampon options. I moved to them very quickly too. Maybe 3rd period. I don’t think I’d have felt comfortable buying them for myself straight away so I was happy the option had been given to me (not by mum, actually, I don’t think she’d thought of that. Luckily we got a pack of samples at school).

And some naproxen or similar. My first period was the worst one I’ve ever had. So heavy and so painful, and also coincided with starting my first ever job packing shopping at the end of a checkout. Worst 10 days ever...

#18 kerilyntaryn

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

not sure if woolworths still have these in store https://www.woolwort...ree-starter-kit

Libra girl has a free starter kit too https://lovelibra.co...girl/girl-pads/

https://www.ez007.ne...s-free-samples/

https://www.ez007.ne...samples/page/2/

https://www.ez007.ne...samples/page/3/

https://www.ubykotex...mples/thank-you

#19 coolbreeze

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:24 PM

View PostSkeptiHandsOnMum, on 23 July 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

DD went to tampons on her second period. Then asked me to buy them without applicators because she was taking them out to then insert them manually. So it is not always a problem.

I had just given her a toiletries bag with a range of options from the start.

If you are keen for tampon use due to swimming etc, consider buying minis and some lubricant for practice.

I think that the underwear is a great reassurance for them, even if they are going to use sanitary products.

I am buying DD a menstrual cup to try next - I certainly wish I had used one from early on.

This is my dd experience.
first period at 13.5 years old, but only regular in the last 9 months or so.
Lots of dance and leotards meant quicly transitioning to tampons.
She is 15 now and has been using the menstrual cup on and off for the last couple of periods. Mainly on weekends though until she feels secure with it.
CB

#20 BECZ

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:07 AM

DD1 got her first period while camping with Nanna over the Christmas holidays, so it was just pads for her first period.  She tried tampons for her second and has happily used a mixture of tampons and pads since.  I bought her some mini tampons, I think I got Libra and Kotex as I couldn't get may brands in minis (choice seems to have improved in recent months).  I also bought some applicator ones (Tampax Pearl), but I'm not happy with the amount of plastic as the applicator is all plastic.  I also bought a few different brands/styles of pads and liners.

Luckily she's comfortable with using regular tamons (without an applicator), so I don't need to worry about that.  She really doesn't care which pads, but I get that some prefer a certain brand/style.  DD's just, whatever when it comes to this.

#21 coolbreeze

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:53 AM

Yeah I really disliked all the plastic in the applicator tampons as well!
CB

#22 casper1675

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:00 AM

Thanks  everyone! This has given me a lot to think about.  I'll order some free samples and sit her down  when  they arrive.  
Shes had little breast buds since 8 , we've had a chat about growing up and she reads the younger Kaz Cooke book (which is great!!) So She knows the basics but hasn't wanted to talk too much about it as its overwhelming.  Poor kid, She's in for a wild ride!

How is she growing up so fast!!?

#23 Kreme

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

View Postcasper1675, on 24 July 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

Thanks  everyone! This has given me a lot to think about.  I'll order some free samples and sit her down  when  they arrive.  
Shes had little breast buds since 8 , we've had a chat about growing up and she reads the younger Kaz Cooke book (which is great!!) So She knows the basics but hasn't wanted to talk too much about it as its overwhelming.  Poor kid, She's in for a wild ride!

How is she growing up so fast!!?

My DD has never wanted to talk about anything with me, so I just had to make sure that she had all the information and supplies she needed, delivered in a matter of fact way. I was very nervous about how she would handle everything but she has actually taken it in her stride.

One thing I have noticed is that girls are much more open with each other these days. I would have tried to handle everything myself and keep it secret, but DD and her friends are quite open with each other about the topic which makes a big difference.

#24 Moukmouk

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:27 PM

So I've been reading this thread thinking I really should set DD up with a little kit in her school bag when hello! 10 minutes before we had to leave for school she says there is something on her pajama bottoms. Stupid me took a few minutes to get it - she knew. Luckily I have a good stash of supplies. Poor thing had a bit of a cry. Only 11. Maybe she won't be as tall as everyone thinks she will be. I'm going to get her some period undies. Are Modi Bodi generally considered to be better than Thinx? And swimwear?

#25 Quick hedgehog

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

A timely thread for me too.  DD turned 12 five days ago and got her first period yesterday.  Luckily we have been well prepared for some time with a range of samples and a pouch with supplies in her school bag and she seems to be dealing with it ok.

But she does squad swimming 3 days a week, so I'm thinking this could add up to a lot of missed training, as well as the potential to miss out on competitions which could work out to be a lot of money down the drain (just paid $80 for entries for a meet in a few weeks).  

At only just 12 I'm not sure how long it will be before she is ready to try tampons, but browsing period undies online last night I found one brand with swimmers.  Anyone tried these, they might be the solution we need?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.